My 1200 appears to running a bit rich.

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, robin1731, Oldewing, Forum Moderators

User avatar
John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 667
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:28 pm
Location: Winter Park, Florida

My 1200 appears to running a bit rich.

Post #1 by John Schmidt » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:43 am

Couple days ago while I had the radiator off I decided to double check the timing so pulled the plugs to ease the turning of the engine in neutral. All plugs appeared to be sooty black, not wet....just sooty. To me that spells "rich" so now that it's all back together, I want to lean out the fuel/air mix. Problem is...my recollection muscle doesn't seem to have as much gray matter functioning as in years past, so which way leans out the mixture; screwing them out or in(the pilot screws)?

PS: Timing was spot on, just finished reconditioning the starter and it turns over real good now, everything working great so far, motor/bike runs like a banshee. Just remember to put the cap back on the crankcase when done checking the timing and before you start the motor. Don't ask......@#&*%@#!!! censored2 lolol
1984 GL1200 Standard, work in progress
1998 Valkyrie Tourer, my Honda Davidson ;) Image

User avatar
5speed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 1704
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:37 pm
Location: Nova Scotia Canada

Re: My 1200 appears to running a bit rich.

Post #2 by 5speed » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:28 pm

in is lean..out is fat.
1982 1100 std.
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
2002 Shadow American Classic (the boss's ride)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.

User avatar
John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 667
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:28 pm
Location: Winter Park, Florida

Re: My 1200 appears to running a bit rich.

Post #3 by John Schmidt » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:32 pm

OK, thanks, the carbs are similar to those on my Valkyrie and that's the way it works on them but just wanted to make sure. Big difference in accessing them, these are where you can get to them easily but the Valk is a PITA and takes a special shape tool to boot.
1984 GL1200 Standard, work in progress
1998 Valkyrie Tourer, my Honda Davidson ;) Image

User avatar
Lucien Harpress
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker
Posts: 2500
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Michigan

Re: My 1200 appears to running a bit rich.

Post #4 by Lucien Harpress » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Best way I remember it is that the location of the screw determines what it adjusts- before the carb body, it's air. After the carb body, it's fuel.

After that, it's just like a valve- In turns it off, out turns it on.

(Now, don't ask my any advice on the CORRECT way to set them, because that is a mystery I have so far been unable to solve.... ;) )
1969 CT90- Needs some General Motor Work
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- Minor Cosmetic Fixes, but a Good Daily Runner
1984 GL1200 Standard- Waiting on Saddlebags....
1980 KZ1300- Carbs Being Temperamental. Possible Charging Issue.
1972 CB750 Barn Find- Lots.

User avatar
gltriker
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker
Posts: 2573
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:11 pm
Location: Baldwinsville, NY

Re: My 1200 appears to running a bit rich.

Post #5 by gltriker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:11 pm

Lucien Harpress wrote:Best way I remember it is that the location of the screw determines what it adjusts- before the carb body, it's air. After the carb body, it's fuel.

After that, it's just like a valve- In turns it off, out turns it on.

(Now, don't ask my any advice on the CORRECT way to set them, because that is a mystery I have so far been unable to solve.... ;) )


what? the location of the screw...... before the carb body........ after the carb body. :-?
yes, that is a mystery.
I need pictures or something, anything to explain this, please. ;)
Cliff

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVpommgI-M8 turn up your speakers volume YouTube video from April 12th, 2014

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.

User avatar
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin
Posts: 19033
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 8:31 am
Location: Decatur, Indiana

Re: My 1200 appears to running a bit rich.

Post #6 by robin1731 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:32 pm

gltriker wrote:
Lucien Harpress wrote:Best way I remember it is that the location of the screw determines what it adjusts- before the carb body, it's air. After the carb body, it's fuel.

After that, it's just like a valve- In turns it off, out turns it on.

(Now, don't ask my any advice on the CORRECT way to set them, because that is a mystery I have so far been unable to solve.... ;) )


what? the location of the screw...... before the carb body........ after the carb body. :-?
yes, that is a mystery.
I need pictures or something, anything to explain this, please. ;)



Layman's way, after the body=GL1000. Before the body =GL1100. Easy enough?

.
1975 GL1000 parts bike (parts for sale)
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder

User avatar
gltriker
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker
Posts: 2573
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:11 pm
Location: Baldwinsville, NY

Re: My 1200 appears to running a bit rich.

Post #7 by gltriker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:24 am

robin1731 wrote:
gltriker wrote:
Lucien Harpress wrote:Best way I remember it is that the location of the screw determines what it adjusts- before the carb body, it's air. After the carb body, it's fuel.

After that, it's just like a valve- In turns it off, out turns it on.

(Now, don't ask my any advice on the CORRECT way to set them, because that is a mystery I have so far been unable to solve.... ;) )


what? the location of the screw...... before the carb body........ after the carb body. :-?
yes, that is a mystery.
I need pictures or something, anything to explain this, please. ;)



Layman's way, after the body=GL1000. Before the body =GL1100. Easy enough?

.


Easy enough?
GL1000 body vs. GL1100 body..... after vs. before.....fuel vs. air
Luke offered "the screw" adjusts fuel in one carb body configuration? and "the screw" adjusts air in another carb body configuration?
Is "the screw" a pilot fuel delivery volume adjuster in one carb body, and an air volume adjuster screw in the other carb body?
Respectfully, my pressing for meaningful clarification was a pointless waste of your time, Robin. :IDTS:
Let's just pretend I never inquired. ;)

Done. :oldies
Completely
Cliff

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVpommgI-M8 turn up your speakers volume YouTube video from April 12th, 2014

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.

User avatar
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin
Posts: 19033
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 8:31 am
Location: Decatur, Indiana

Re: My 1200 appears to running a bit rich.

Post #8 by robin1731 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:06 am

Yeah, that came out totally wrong. :IDTS: lolol

.
1975 GL1000 parts bike (parts for sale)
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder

User avatar
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin
Posts: 19033
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 8:31 am
Location: Decatur, Indiana

Re: My 1200 appears to running a bit rich.

Post #9 by robin1731 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:13 am

How about this one. If the screw is on the intake/air filter side of the carb that is before the body. If it is on the head side of the carb that is after the body. Think of it as the way the air/fuel flows through the carb.


Best way to set them? When you get the highest idle speed as you adjust them.
.
1975 GL1000 parts bike (parts for sale)
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder

User avatar
CYBORG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 20609
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:52 pm
Location: Muskegon mich

Re: My 1200 appears to running a bit rich.

Post #10 by CYBORG » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:50 am

Are you sure the choke is adjusted correct? The 1200 uses an enriching circuit which adds fuel, and if partially on, bike will run well, but rich looking on the plugs. Make sure it is off both at the bars and the carbs
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200

User avatar
John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 667
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:28 pm
Location: Winter Park, Florida

Re: My 1200 appears to running a bit rich.

Post #11 by John Schmidt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:00 pm

CYBORG wrote:Are you sure the choke is adjusted correct? The 1200 uses an enriching circuit which adds fuel, and if partially on, bike will run well, but rich looking on the plugs. Make sure it is off both at the bars and the carbs

Yes, that was the first thing I checked. I'll have some time this weekend to mess with it, at least the adj. screws are easy to get at. I'll be putting the bike up for sale soon and want to make sure everything is running top notch.
1984 GL1200 Standard, work in progress
1998 Valkyrie Tourer, my Honda Davidson ;) Image

User avatar
Mike-C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 1807
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:26 pm
Location: North Lancaster, Ontario, Canada

Re: My 1200 appears to running a bit rich.

Post #12 by Mike-C » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:43 pm

John, change the O rings on the carb connector tubes. My son's 1200 was running very rich and I found some of the O rings were dry and cracked. Changed them all and the bike runs perfectly again.
Mike Coleman
'84 Wing-Lite (ex-Aspencade)
'84 un-Terstate
'84 Standard (as yet un-named)
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster, Ontario
Canada


Return to “GoldWing Tech Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jdvorchak and 1 guest