Where is this mystery fuse?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Briang
Silver Member
Silver Member

Where is this mystery fuse?

Post by Briang »

On the GL1100 1982 Interstate wiring diagram there is a 1 amp fuse shown a bit below the headlight and another 5 amp fuse. This fuse is in a line which comes directly from the ignition switch main power feed. After the fuse it goes to a connector block. I believe this is the constant "on" which provides power to maintain memory in the radio system in the fairing.

The new problem I am now having is the radio doesn't keep its tuning and time settings when the bike is turned off. It always had before unless the battery or the main fairing connector were disconnected.

I can't seem to locate this fuse and i believe it should be on the bike as it is not in any of the fuse locations on the fairing. Its not in the fuse block under the center tank panel. Does anyone have any ideas where to look?

Brian,
'81 CB900C (July 2005) / '82 GL1100 (December 2007)
Image Image
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: Where is this mystery fuse?

Post by Track T 2411 »

Looking at the diagram, the large connector looks to be the lead to the fairing wiring, which suggests it is inside the fairing. Is it possibly closer to the radio than the others?
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Let’s see if I can kick-start some memories. I seem to recall a fuse that is taped up and somewhat hidden in the wiring harness along the upper frame under the false tank. I did a search but came up empty.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Why in the world would Honda have made a fuse so inaccessible and, apparently, poorly documented? Must be a "rarely expected to fail" item. I've not heard of it (them).
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

tHEY ARE IN THE FAIRING IN CLAM SHELL HOLDS YOUS HAVE TO REMOVE THE LEFT POCKET OR THE LEFT TURN SIGNAL TO GET AT THEM there ARE AT LEAST TWO MAYBE THREE IN THERE. OPS CAPS BUT i MA NOT RETYPING..
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

ericheath wrote:Let’s see if I can kick-start some memories. I seem to recall a fuse that is taped up and somewhat hidden in the wiring harness along the upper frame under the false tank. I did a search but came up empty.
The only thing I remember being taped up within the wiring harness on an 1100 is the neutral switch diode. No fuses.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Sagebrush wrote:
ericheath wrote:Let’s see if I can kick-start some memories. I seem to recall a fuse that is taped up and somewhat hidden in the wiring harness along the upper frame under the false tank. I did a search but came up empty.
The only thing I remember being taped up within the wiring harness on an 1100 is the neutral switch diode. No fuses.
I agree. I just redid my 1100's last year, and other than the diode, there are no fuses that I could see. It pretty much has to be in the fairing.

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
New2U Bike? Read Me.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I stand corrected and my memory is refreshed. That is what I was thinking of.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Briang
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Briang »

The fuses in the clam shells in the fairing are the ones which come with the accessory radio system not part of the motorcycle as shown in the wiring diagram. The diagram shows it going to a connector somewhere but not in the fairing I think.

Well I guess I'm just going to have to wait until I get the bike in the shop for her winter spa treatment and I can trace the loom back from the main switch.
Brian,
Image Image
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Briang wrote:The fuses in the clam shells in the fairing are the ones which come with the accessory radio system not part of the motorcycle as shown in the wiring diagram. The diagram shows it going to a connector somewhere but not in the fairing I think.

Well I guess I'm just going to have to wait until I get the bike in the shop for her winter spa treatment and I can trace the loom back from the main switch.
When you figure it out, post it up here so we all know the next time, lol!

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Briang
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Briang »

Copy that. If anyone else has the opportunity to search that would be helpful as well.
Brian,
Image Image