Aluminum repair

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Everett
Lead Member
Lead Member

Re: Aluminum repair

Post by Everett »

If no one does in the next few weeks I will. I have a few bikes to get done before I need it. May be after I get my 77 gl1000 done I can start one of them jobs.
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

BikeMaine wrote:Maybe this has been discussed already, but I just watched an interesting video on Facebook. Video is on this website.
https://www.aluminumrepair.com/

I don't work for them or anything, but if the stuff is as good as this video shows, it's good stuff.
I have to wonder why anybody putting a sales video on their website want your name and email address to enable you to view it?
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

Several years ago I was at the Toronto bike show and there was a guy there demonstrating something similar. He was repairing carburettor parts cylinder heads and other castings and he was also punching holes in the bottoms of aluminium coke cans and filling them in. The guy said it would work with any grade of aluminum as it had been formulated by a team of top metallurgists and scientists. was impressed and bought a whole bunch of rods, enough to do me a lifetime. I bought a few hundred dollars worth.
I knew of nothing like it available in Europe and was thinking that these Canadians are way ahead of the game. Wife always told me how everything in Canada was much bigger/better than what us bog trotters had over here. Thought to myself, darn, she is right.
Anyway when I got home I tried out one of the rods. I was being frugal and did not want to waste any of the precious metal so I tried a coke can like the guy demonstrated. It did not work. Stuff just melted and sat on the surface. I figured maybe it was a bad can so tried several others, still no success. Tried various other items and all were a failure.
But I had seen the guy do it in Toronto with my own eyes. I am a hands on person and can do mig tig and arc welding, soldering brazing etc
I can only conclude that the rods he was using for his demo were a different rod to what he was selling.
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

Thinking about this again, we had been over in Toronto for the millenium celebrations, so it was the Toronto bike show in 2000.
18 years ago around this time, so maybe the stuff is better now.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Liam wrote:Several years ago I was at the Toronto bike show and there was a guy there demonstrating something similar. He was repairing carburettor parts cylinder heads and other castings and he was also punching holes in the bottoms of aluminium coke cans and filling them in. The guy said it would work with any grade of aluminum as it had been formulated by a team of top metallurgists and scientists. was impressed and bought a whole bunch of rods, enough to do me a lifetime. I bought a few hundred dollars worth.
I knew of nothing like it available in Europe and was thinking that these Canadians are way ahead of the game. Wife always told me how everything in Canada was much bigger/better than what us bog trotters had over here. Thought to myself, darn, she is right.
Anyway when I got home I tried out one of the rods. I was being frugal and did not want to waste any of the precious metal so I tried a coke can like the guy demonstrated. It did not work. Stuff just melted and sat on the surface. I figured maybe it was a bad can so tried several others, still no success. Tried various other items and all were a failure.
But I had seen the guy do it in Toronto with my own eyes. I am a hands on person and can do mig tig and arc welding, soldering brazing etc
I can only conclude that the rods he was using for his demo were a different rod to what he was selling.
Interesting
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I have seen newer videos and it seems to work on them. They try to tell you how you have to get the aluminum clean and at a perfect temperature. I couldn’t make it work. I also bought the plain old Harbor Freight flux coated rods and tried to use them with my poor-mans, lift-start TIG. I did some welding on some old intake elbows and got a fair amount if boogery, bird-crap looking weld but it was full of holes and had a powdery, porous finish.

The problem I had was -and is what the books will tell you why you need high frequency welders- the surface is anodized and requires a much higher (3 Times higher??) temp to melt than the aluminum below or behind the anodized surface. You get it to the point you think it’s right, and suddenly it gives a very orange color which is difficult to see, and then the metal below the surface is a big puddle. When you touch it with your rod, you break the surface tension of the anodized surface and a big puddle of it goes splashing to the floor. You’re left with a big hole. I tried sanding the surface, wire brushing the snot out of it with virgin stainless steel brushes and cleaning it with alcohol just before attempting. It helped a lot, but I couldn’t make any welds I would trust.

Looking into it more and the TInman, (google) a guy who welds airplane wings etc with acetylene, swears you need to have the “magic” glasses which remove some of the light that aluminum gives off when it’s ready to melt. Cobalt blue glasses??? Anyways they’re only $300.

Good luck. Perhaps Mervin has some new powder to make it work better now. My attempts were about six years ago, and I’m anything but a good welder.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
williwm
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by williwm »

I received the rods last week, weather is nice today so I tried a piece of thin 1/16" angle and a piece of 1/8" plate with a lap joint. Dismal failure but more my problem than the rods. I cleaned by grinding off the oxidation and tinned each piece. Individually they tinned easily, got the piece up to temp and let the metal melt the rod and hit the area with a small hand wire brush. The area tinned nicely. Did the other piece with the same good results. Then laid them together and tried to join them.

I was using an oxygen act torch with a very small tip, a # 00, and would under or over heat one piece or the other. A larger tip with a softer flame might have been better to heat both pieces uniformly. I think that the rods may be useful when used with the right procedure.
1976 gl1000 sulfur yellow
1977 GL1000
1978 Gl1000
1998 Valkyrie Tourer
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

One thing I remember in the video I watched was that he moved the flame away more like he was trying heat the surrounding area, not on the pice getting the weld. He held the heat close to the intended target until the rod began to flow, much like solder. Then he fanned the flame out in a big area. Maybe the temp has to be just right and moving the flame away kept the target area a consistent heat???

Aluminum dissipates heat quickly, perhaps the trick is letting it “dissipate “ back toward the weld target. Maybe it keeps the anodized surface hot, but not overcooking the middle??? Makes me want to go try it.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

ericheath wrote:One thing I remember in the video I watched was that he moved the flame away more like he was trying heat the surrounding area, not on the pice getting the weld. He held the heat close to the intended target until the rod began to flow, much like solder. Then he fanned the flame out in a big area. Maybe the temp has to be just right and moving the flame away kept the target area a consistent heat???

Aluminum dissipates heat quickly, perhaps the trick is letting it “dissipate “ back toward the weld target. Maybe it keeps the anodized surface hot, but not overcooking the middle??? Makes me want to go try it.
Interesting observation . You may be on to something
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

You would think that if this product is as good as they claim, they would have no problem explaining their process so the customer can be successful. If this product available in stores and if not...why not?
I'm no welder but how their product is marketed makes me a skeptic.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
GLmendip
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by GLmendip »

I had an oil leak where the oil drain plug had been overtightened and split the ali casting. I filed a slot into the split and used some HTS2000 rods from ebay and the repair worked brilliantly. Once dressed up you'd hardly know it was there.
You do need a good source of heat depending on how much casting you are heating up, a normal blow torch will struggle.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

GLmendip wrote:I had an oil leak where the oil drain plug had been overtightened and split the ali casting. I filed a slot into the split and used some HTS2000 rods from ebay and the repair worked brilliantly. Once dressed up you'd hardly know it was there.
You do need a good source of heat depending on how much casting you are heating up, a normal blow torch will struggle.
Sounds positive,...

Do you sell HTS2000 products?
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
duke182
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/duke182/

Post by duke182 »

Liam wrote:Several years ago I was at the Toronto bike show and there was a guy there demonstrating something similar. He was repairing carburettor parts cylinder heads and other castings and he was also punching holes in the bottoms of aluminium coke cans and filling them in. The guy said it would work with any grade of aluminum as it had been formulated by a team of top metallurgists and scientists. was impressed and bought a whole bunch of rods, enough to do me a lifetime. I bought a few hundred dollars worth.
Me too, except it was a car show in shreveport la.
I had basically the same experiences. But I ran into the same guy at another show and bugged the crap out of him about techniques that would actually work.
What I came to understand is that I couldn't afford enough rods to become proficient.

What I do know.
-The rods I bought (I wont buy more) did not need flux.
-you can weld al using a torch using the proper rod and flux
-there are also rods designed to arc weld al
-mig (wire welding) can be used, using gas shielding and continous wire as an electrode.
-tig welding (heliarc) produces the best welds
-tig does not require flux. It uses gas shielding also.
-high frequency machines produce the best results
-al must be clean. Real clean.
No coatings (anodizing paint etc) and no oxidation at all.

In my opinion, I wasted my money looking for a short cut.
The low temp rods are a "too good to be true" waste of money.
God bless those who protect our freedom, at every level

Knees in the breeze makes miles of smiles

"Strive for progress, not perfection"-a wise man

1984 1200 standard
click pic to see my gallery

vote in my poll
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

My failed attempts led me to believe that the right glasses might be the key. Just too expensive to try and fail. Anyone else use these and can attest to them helping?
https://www.tinmantech.com/products/saf ... g-lens.php
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces