starter button switch replacement diagram needed

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

starter button switch replacement diagram needed

Post by JBz »

Can i get some help . Replacing the starter button on a 78 gl1000. Ive repaired the original switch many times but going to put the radio shack spdt 275-1549 this time around. diagram or color from this to that . terminal#1 marked NC terminal #2 marked COM terminal #3 marked NO Thanks jb
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: starter button switch replacement diagram needed

Post by tlbranth »

Boy JB, I'd sure give it a shot if I understood the question. Think you could expand it a tad?
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

JBz wrote:Can i get some help . Replacing the starter button on a 78 gl1000. Ive repaired the original switch many times but going to put the radio shack spdt 275-1549 this time around. diagram or color from this to that . terminal#1 marked NC terminal #2 marked COM terminal #3 marked NO Thanks jb
That switch is not going to work - physically its too long. You may want to try this one (SPDT momentary toggle switch - Amazon):

As to your original question...
The centre terminal is wired to black 12V. One terminal to starter solenoid and the other to headlight circuit. This will maintain Honda's original intent of turning off the headlight while the starter is engaged. Alternatively, you can use a SPST momentary switch and bypass the headlight dimming. But why would you? just an option. In either case, make sure you wrap the handlebar inside the control housing with electrical tape to prevent shorting to ground. You'll pop fuses otherwise.
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by John Schmidt »

Here is something you might want to at least take a look at. The Valkyrie has a similar problem on two of the models which doesn't have the start switch protected via a relay....the headlight current created arcing/burning of the internal contacts over time and you either end up walking or getting a push start. And according to Murphy's Law, it will only happen at 3:00am in the middle of nowhere with no cell service. In the link, scroll down to the the box labeled Start Switch Safeguard and take a look at the layout and instructions which are to the right. The blue/white wire is different but the system appears to work much the same. This takes a huge amp load off the start button, requiring only fractional amperage to energize the relay, and it only works to remove the headlight from the circuit when you press "start"...might be worth a look at least.
http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/starter.html
1984 GL1200 Standard, work in progress
1998 Valkyrie Tourer, my Honda Davidson ;) Image
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Great link, John. Thanks!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by JBz »

Interestesting and Thank You John but unfortunately I just got doing about an hours worth of dental on the housing and making a special bushing for the housing before I saw your post . The 78 has a rather large button and hole lol. button hole bigger than 75-77.BlueThunders switch might be better but the one Im using is a perfect fit width wise. Dental work consisted of taking some off the front where the old switch sat on the rails<grinding the rails all the way to the front of the housing > to get the threads on the switch to protrude. The bottom stops are just fine. Harbor freight chicago 97626 seemed to be the perfect tool for the surgery. Not fast but accurate. Looks like ill have to lengten the wires<The new switch is considerably shorter height wise> and solder them at a 90 degree will probably be a good idea. These switches are delicate. Probably not a problem on the 75-77 with the small hole using both nuts but dont overtighten the nut on the 78. It will pull the switch apart. Hope it works.......jb
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done