Valve cover oil leak

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Valve cover oil leak

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I used the covers from the ole engine on the new engine, mostly because I prefer the look of the 1000 covers to the 1100 ones and they were already painted so all they needed was a bit of clean up and a quick re-spray. The Athena gasket kit included new rocker cover seals so I used them but it did not include bolt seals so I used the Georgefix ones I installed a few years ago.

On this engine they leaked enough to leave puddles on the floor so something had to be done.

I removed the covers and surface sanded them on a piece of glass to get them as flat as I could. Since I had most of a tube of Threebond left over from assembling the engine I figured it was worth trying too so I put a bead in the groove in the cover, put the seal into that and put another bead on the side of the seal that mates with the head.

It has been a week and they are still dry. I'll know if it was successful if they are still dry next year.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....