Single solex conversion and oil leaks

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Single solex conversion and oil leaks

Post by leggman »

I finally got the solex rebuilt and mounted and today I started it up and it seemed to run pretty good although not yet perfect. It ran good enough to tell me it's doable and my ignition system is close to being OK.
Now the problems. I have a very minor oil leak coming from the oil filter cover where it meets the front cover. I probably just need a new o ring there.
The real problem is a major oil leak coming from the little round hole on my fuel pump. I had the fuel pump completely unhooked (no fuel lines) and was running the engine off my gravity feed auxiliary fuel tank. There has got to be a way for the crankcase to ventilate blowby gasses but I see none.
Please chime in with any advice, comments, sarcasm, insults, or anything else that greens your bean.
Thanks. Dave
20180531_174945.jpg
20180531_174945.jpg (247.97 KiB) Viewed 498 times
20180531_175000.jpg
20180531_175000.jpg (192.32 KiB) Viewed 498 times
20180531_175018.jpg
20180531_175018.jpg (236.08 KiB) Viewed 498 times
20180531_175031.jpg
20180531_175031.jpg (283.01 KiB) Viewed 498 times
20180531_175120.jpg
20180531_175120.jpg (288.84 KiB) Viewed 498 times
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Single solex conversion and oil leaks

Post by ericheath »

Adding your bike model in your signature will help people opine who may be able to answer you. Most gl’s vent the crank via a tube on the rear upper left of the motor. A tube carries it to s canister to separate water, oil, and excess gas blow by.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

(looks like a '78/79). Fuel pump is not rebuildable. If the diaphragm is blown out, you'll need to source a used one or <gulp> NOS. Or go electric. Can't help you with the Solex.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

I should have said it is a 79. So am I correct in assuming the only crankcase vent is the black hose that goes to the small canister in the last picture.?
Would a bad fuel pump make it squirt oil out the small hole in the first picture?
so I guess what I am asking is can I block the pump bracket off and use a 1200 pump?
Last edited by leggman on Thu May 31, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

I am looking at the 1200 fuel pumps on ebay. can someone suggest which one to get. they all look like 5\16 fuel connections but I can get around that OK
lcallison
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by lcallison »

I found an electric pump rated at 2.5-3 lbs at O'Rielly's. I ran it on my 76 for several years.
Larry
84 GL1200A
79 GL1000
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I converted to a 1200 pump on my '78. I love it. Best mod I ever did to it. They're easily found on ebay, but prices vary pretty widely. You'd want the 1200 bracket, too. Based on Cyborg's recommendation, I modified a sacrificial pump housing.

Here was my project thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63520&hilit=electric+fuel+pump
So am I correct in assuming the only crankcase vent is the black hose that goes to the small canister in the last picture.?
That's part of it. There's a second hose that runs from the port on top of the engine case on the left side up to the airbox. Two hoses from the airbox, that one and the other that goes to the separator canister you mentioned.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

I am using a single solex so no original airbox.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

leggman wrote:I am using a single solex so no original airbox.
Ha! (I knew that, but brain farted.). I think the canister should fall off if you don't have the air box. The hose from the crankcase port could just run to a small filter. But place it low. They can get a little messy.
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

20180601_133802.jpg
20180601_133802.jpg (278.25 KiB) Viewed 427 times
This is getting weird. I modified my tach drive housing because I am going to use an electric pump from a 1200. So I reinstalled the tach drive and started it up and now I have oil pouring from the right valve cover where it meets the head, So I thought"I must have a burnt valve or worse so let's check compression". The motor sat forever before I bought it ten years ago so the rings might be toast.

Did a compression test and have 95 Lbs. at all cylinders. That's weird because with the valve cover off I can feel air blowing out when it is running? After lunch I am going to remove the oil catch can and try it again. If I have to tear into the motor then the whole project might get cancelled.
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

Okay, I think I have my leaks stopped. Evidently when I took off the stock breather housing I removed the line that used to go from the engine up to the breather housing and hooked the engine breather straight into the catch can. That doesn't work, It lets crankcase pressures build up to the point where it will begin to leak oil everywhere.
I put the plugs back in after the compression test and unhooked the catch can and started it up and ran for several minutes and now have NO oil leaks. Woo Hoo. I should have known better because the crankcase pressures will build with no where to go. I am thinking of re attaching the catch can but drilling a hole in it near the top to let the pressure out.
Now I am moving on to ordering a 1200 fuel pump and trying to find a mount somewhere.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Compression test with WOT? If not you’re probably fine.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

That crank case vent should not have any pressure behind it. While idling running you should be barely able to feel any pulses of air. It may increase slightly under a load but it should not be pushing oil out. When i changed mine around a couple years ago I used about a 4 inch section of hose and put a filter on the end and it lays on top of the engine and does not leak a drop.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Arkwinger
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Arkwinger »

Be sure to check the oil in case the bad fuel pump was leaking fuel into the oil
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

I went out this morning to start it and it hydrolocked because I left the gas on all night. I pulled the plugs and spun it over to get the gas out. It starts but will not idle worth a crap. Turning the mixture and idle screws do not help. The single solex thing was just an attempt to make things simpler but I am starting to reconsider.
I had rebuilt the original carbs several years ago and had it running pretty good but then it sat for years in a shed and went to crap again.
I am seriously considering cleaning the original carbs and giving that another go.
I could still try the solex on my 75 that I bought last year because when I bought it it came with NO carbs at all. Got it cheap.
Oh by the way after I got the gas out of the cylinder today I drained the oil and there was no gas in the oil at all.
I am thinking about a project using the 79 engine and drivetrain because I have other bikes to ride. I will try too post a link below.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ll0KR3qAiQ&t=19s