1984 GL1200 air pump does not operate

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

1984 GL1200 air pump does not operate

Post by raiddrten »

I just purchased a nice gl1200 aspencade. Very nice running and together bike. We could also only find one issue and the issue was the on board air did not operate. I have looked all over and can not find that issue addressed. I guess that we should also assume that the timing belts need addressed?

Anyway, I must apologize if this is not the proper forum for such a motorcycle.....Maybe some of you know these bikes and could direct me to the best resource. I have taken a pause in the 1976 project bike gL1000 and still intend to get it running.The Aspy is ready to roll and looks very nice as well. Just one of those bikes that finds you when you are not even looking at a price I could not turn down.

thanks in advance. Raiddrten
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: 1984 GL1200 air pump does not operate

Post by desertrefugee »

I had a 1200, but the pump worked, so I'm just "winging" it here. I would start by checking the schematic and seeing which circuit the pump is on. Could be as simple as a blown fuse. If not, you'll need to verify 12V is getting to the pump. If it is, blame Honda. Danged pump only lasted 30 years.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

raiddrten wrote:I just purchased a nice gl1200 aspencade. Very nice running and together bike. We could also only find one issue and the issue was the on board air did not operate. I have looked all over and can not find that issue addressed. I guess that we should also assume that the timing belts need addressed?

Anyway, I must apologize if this is not the proper forum for such a motorcycle.....Maybe some of you know these bikes and could direct me to the best resource. I have taken a pause in the 1976 project bike gL1000 and still intend to get it running.The Aspy is ready to roll and looks very nice as well. Just one of those bikes that finds you when you are not even looking at a price I could not turn down.

thanks in advance. Raiddrten
If you wind up needing a pump, let me know. I have a spare one
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

+1 with checking for power at the pump. My 1200 is not equipped with one but that part should be fairly simple.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

Thanks for the advice for a good place to start. I just picked up the bike today and it has a Clymer in one of the hard bags.
That should give me some more troubleshooting ideas

Overall, I would have to rate this machine a 9 out of ten Champagne and tan is really easy on the eyes
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

The Clymer manual does have a pretty good troubleshooting tree. With the accessory switch on, the signal lights should operate and since they don't, the ground may not be good the the circuit. It also appears that desiccant used to keep the pump dry is NLA How do you deal with that?