Front master re-rebuild questions

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Steve81GL1100
Silver Member
Silver Member

Front master re-rebuild questions

Post by Steve81GL1100 »

Lately I've been getting some fluid weeping from the front master on my 81. Not a huge amount, just enough to notice wetness around it and the reservoir, and a few spatters on the lid of the right saddlebag. I'm running DOT 5 silicon fluid. Despite very mixed reviews on this, I am SO glad that's what I used or I would now be repainting the bag lid as well as fixing the master.
Anyway, I rebuilt the master in 2014 (10k miles ago) with a K&L kit from George Fix. Replaced hoses (OEM-style rubber), rebuilt calipers with K&L kits, everything top to bottom was new. Last winter, I replaced the upper front hose with a slightly longer one because I felt the first replacement was an inch too short. Also new EBC pads last winter. Otherwise I just ride it every day. So that's the back-story.
With the weeping, I have narrowed it down to 1) fluid pushing past the seal at the lever end of the master; and 2) fluid weeping past the O-ring seal on the reservoir where it snaps into the master. So I need to rebuild the whole mess again....
My questions surround the longevity of the initial rebuild, and also DOT 5 fluid. I've read where the silicon can cause seals to wear out prematurely, and what I'm experiencing certainly points to that.... However, the DOT 5 DID save my bacon by not eating the paint off the bag lid when it did leak.
So, some advice? Should I rebuild and stick with DOT 5 and expect another rebuild in 3-4 years? Or should I take the opportunity to go back to DOT 3 while I have it apart? Which raises another question.... If I do go to DOT 3, how do I deal with getting rid of all the DOT 5 in the hoses and calipers? Do I need to replace hoses and rebuild calipers again, or is there a reliable way to flush the DOT 5 out of there?
Anybody dealt with this before? As an aside, I have no brake performance issues stemming from the leak... Brakes work great, I just need to wipe off a little wetness all around the master every day.
Thanks
Steve
Steve
1981 GL 1100 Standard, 81 Interstate bags, 84 GL1200 pegs, sometime National Cycle PlexiStar windshield
1996 BMW R1100R
2007 Piaggio X9 Evo500, wife's ride so she can keep up with the GL
1980 Vespa P200 (also wife's), restored, with custom paint, custom trim
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: Front master re-rebuild questions

Post by robin1731 »

I doubt the DOT 5 caused the leak. The wing in my avatar was done in 2006 with DOT 5 and it is as dry as the day I finished. I also had DOT 5 in my race bikes for years and had no issues with seals.

Don't blame the fluid on the seals leaking. ;)

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder