GL1000 Getting hot or Temp Gauge?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Pinball
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: GL1000 Getting hot or Temp Gauge?

Post by Pinball »

Well we can now take flushing the radiator off of the list. My son did that with little improvement. The bike runs right by the hot mark but not into the red and doesn't boil over but something is not right. He has his headers wrapped...would that make the bike run hotter? I guess the next thing to look at is the water pump. I also want him to try and run the bike without the thermostat just to see if the new one might be bad. This seems like it is just something simple as there aren't many parts in the cooling system to go wrong. Any other ideas other than the pump...as that is next on our list. Thanks again for all the help
Pinball
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Pinball »

Well I just got back from working on his bike. He flushed the cooling system last week and it didn't seem to help much. We replaced the right head gasket today because it started smoking and had some coolant in the #3 cylinder. It seemed to help some as the bike will idle now without over heating but I think the head gasket was caused by the overheating problem not the cause of it as he took it for a ride and it got hot again. I took the cover off for the lower hose and the pump didn't have any play in it. I am going to take an extra radiator to a shop to have them clean and pressure test it. If I replace that and the overheating problem is still there I guess we will try replacing the pump. How do you know if the lines on the reservoir are reversed? Sometime soon...there is not much left to replace or check :)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The line from the rad neck should be connected to the bottom of the reservoir and the overflow line should be connected t the top. If the overflow line was connected to the bottom all the coolant in the tank would drain out.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Pinball
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Pinball »

Well I went and picked the bike up this weekend so that I could work on it in person and not over the phone. I let it idle in the workshop and it stayed in the normal range. The only time the bike would move to the upper end of the normal area is when you would rev it up...but as soon as you just let it idle the temp would come back down. I thought I would start with some basic things today and decided to check the resistance on the plug caps. The caps tested #1 - 9.4K, #2 - 11.8K, #3 - 9.9K and #4 - 90K that is not a typo. I left my multimeter on the cap and it kept dropping but stopped at 60K! I took the plugs and caps off of my bike and replaced them and it seemed to run a lot better. I guess it is time to order some new cap and plug. Mine all tested about 4.7K as I had replaced them last year. The strange thing is I was checking the temp of each cylinder with my HF infrared thermometer when I had it idling in the normal range #1 165 deg. #2 185 deg. #3 170 deg. and #4 230 deg. so the cylinder with the super high cap also had a very high temp. I took the bike for a quick ride to put some gas in it and to see what would happen. It got just out of the normal range after ten minutes so I pulled over and within two minutes with it just idling it was back into the normal range so I took off again...same thing five minutes down the road. I let it cool down by idling on the side of the road and brought it home. The test ride was all on the highway 55 mph plus. I forgot to check the temperature right after my ride but did check it after I got my helmet and jacket off and all of the cylinders seemed to be around 145 to 160 so I am hoping that at least #4 will be running cooler now. I am going to change the radiator and thermostat (again) to see it that helps. If it doesn't I think I might put my carbs on his bike to see if that helps. I would think that on the highway the bike would be running cool with the air being forced through the radiator. I will post back after the radiator switch. Thanks
OCR
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by OCR »

Have you checked the output of the 7v regulator?
If it produces more than 7vdc at any rpm range then you may also have an issue with the main regulator over charging.
79 CX500custom
76LTD
77Goldwing
2001 Polaris Scrambler 500 4X4

Secretary Caroline Lodge 681
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Pinball wrote:Well I went and picked the bike up this weekend so that I could work on it in person and not over the phone. I let it idle in the workshop and it stayed in the normal range. The only time the bike would move to the upper end of the normal area is when you would rev it up...but as soon as you just let it idle the temp would come back down. I thought I would start with some basic things today and decided to check the resistance on the plug caps. The caps tested #1 - 9.4K, #2 - 11.8K, #3 - 9.9K and #4 - 90K that is not a typo. I left my multimeter on the cap and it kept dropping but stopped at 60K! I took the plugs and caps off of my bike and replaced them and it seemed to run a lot better. I guess it is time to order some new cap and plug. Mine all tested about 4.7K as I had replaced them last year. The strange thing is I was checking the temp of each cylinder with my HF infrared thermometer when I had it idling in the normal range #1 165 deg. #2 185 deg. #3 170 deg. and #4 230 deg. so the cylinder with the super high cap also had a very high temp. I took the bike for a quick ride to put some gas in it and to see what would happen. It got just out of the normal range after ten minutes so I pulled over and within two minutes with it just idling it was back into the normal range so I took off again...same thing five minutes down the road. I let it cool down by idling on the side of the road and brought it home. The test ride was all on the highway 55 mph plus. I forgot to check the temperature right after my ride but did check it after I got my helmet and jacket off and all of the cylinders seemed to be around 145 to 160 so I am hoping that at least #4 will be running cooler now. I am going to change the radiator and thermostat (again) to see it that helps. If it doesn't I think I might put my carbs on his bike to see if that helps. I would think that on the highway the bike would be running cool with the air being forced through the radiator. I will post back after the radiator switch. Thanks
That sounds like a restriction in the system. Usually radiator but could be in the engine too. Have you flushed the cooling system? Changing the radiator sounds good if you have another known good one. But a good flushing/cleaning may be all it needs.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

After or while you’re doing the radiator, spark plug color might give an indication of what’s happening on number 4. Another item to cross off the list is the bulging inner header possibility. Drop the header and look in the elbow for a bulge in the tubing.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

ericheath wrote: Another item to cross off the list is the bulging inner header possibility. Drop the header and look in the elbow for a bulge in the tubing.
what? why?
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

dontwantapickle wrote:
ericheath wrote: Another item to cross off the list is the bulging inner header possibility. Drop the header and look in the elbow for a bulge in the tubing.
what? why?
I don't recall which years, but some of the 1000's headers are doubled walled, and the inner wall has been known to 'bulge' inward, restricting the exhaust flow...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Pinball
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Pinball »

GOOD news BAD news kind of a day. I believe I found the problem...the bad news is it looks to be the water pump. I took the radiator out and it looked a lot cleaner then the one I was going to replace it with (Jake did add a flushing agent and ran it for three days like the instructions said) so I dug a little deeper. I removed the pump cover to get a good look at the pump as I had only seen it when I removed the lower hose cover. The pump looked great and had no play in it at all but I couldn't get it to move AT ALL when I grabbed it. I turned the kill switch off and cranked the bike over and the pump doesn't even try to spin. Looks like I will be digging into the engine a little further then I wanted to. I guess I should be happy that I found the problem. This would make sense for the way the bike was heating up. I will let you know what I find when I get a little deeper into this. Time to do a bunch of reading on how to do this. Thanks again for everyone"s help on this.
Pinball
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Pinball »

I don't think I would have been able to sleep tonight if I had not a least looked :) Once again I am happy to know what the problem is. The bearings on the pump were frozen up as tight as a drum...I guess that 35 years of sitting didn't do it any good. Now I guess it is time to start looking for all the parts to put this beast back together. Here is a picture of the pump shaft and the tang that drives it...boy was I happy to see that tang in one piece!
Attachments
20180710_214750.jpg
20180710_214750.jpg (79.48 KiB) Viewed 207 times
20180710_215502.jpg
20180710_215502.jpg (104.12 KiB) Viewed 207 times
Pinball
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Pinball »

One last thing before I order my parts...a lot of the K & L gasket kits on eBay are saying that the mechanical seal is not included...is this the press in seal that goes around the shaft of the pump? If that is what they are saying is not included with the kit that seems a bit of a kick in the pants. Just checking so I can have all of my parts here at the same time. I believe I will get a Honda pump so that this is not something I will be redoing in the near future.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The mechanical seal is what you would use (along with 2 bearings) to rebuild the pump itself https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 90#p723193

The oil seal for the oil pump shaft probably isn't included in their kit either, though...
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

I sure appreciate you keeping this thread going and updating it. What I learned: The mysterious overheat after everything has been changed and cleaned is likely the water pump. Going to head out and change mine this weekend. Ive been chasing the same devil and was waiting for this thread to come to a conclusion...
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Pinball
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Pinball »

I got the parts in the mail today and got everything back together this afternoon. I just got back from a 50+ mile ride and it never got above half way in the normal zone!!!! It was not as bad as I was thinking it was going to be to put the new water pump in...just time consuming. Thanks again for all of the help through this and thanks for letting me use you as a sounding board as I worked through this mess. Here is a picture of the bike after my ride today and one of it when we first rolled it into my workshop. Thanks, Scott
Attachments
ATT00005.jpg
ATT00005.jpg (148.73 KiB) Viewed 181 times
23335.jpeg
23335.jpeg (42.14 KiB) Viewed 181 times