Shortening Throttle Cables

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shortening Throttle Cables

Post by tomk1960 »

Has anyone here done this successfully? I installed CB1100F bars on my '78 GL1000 and suspect that the lower bars will require that I shorten the throttle cables. The clutch cable is easy to shorten, but the throttle cables have special tubed ends and adjusters on them. I haven't tried to dissect one yet and thought I'd ask first. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Shortening Throttle Cables

Post by Lucien Harpress »

I.... attempted with a clutch cable once. There is a way to drill and solder a shorter cable, and it involves drilling a cone-shaped hole in the crossbar and soldering the cable into it.

Thing is, at the end of the day a set of custom MotionPro cables weren't that expensive, and well worth the peace of mind. You get new cables, the correct size, and avoid all the futzing.

Just my opinion.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

Lucien Harpress wrote:I.... attempted with a clutch cable once. There is a way to drill and solder a shorter cable, and it involves drilling a cone-shaped hole in the crossbar and soldering the cable into it.

Thing is, at the end of the day a set of custom MotionPro cables weren't that expensive, and well worth the peace of mind. You get new cables, the correct size, and avoid all the futzing.

Just my opinion.
The clutch cable is an easy mod. The throttle cables, with their special adjusters and 90 degree tubular ends may not be, which is why I asked. I agree - a new set of custom-length cables from MP will be around $100 and worth the investment.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

I shortened a throttle pull cable last week but my application might be different as I adapted it to a single carb setup. I ended up eliminating all the adjusters because they are crimped on and I really didn't need them anyway.
I used a 1/4" bolt as the body and drilled out a small hole just for the cable then a larger bevel in the back, Inserted the cable and frayer the very end of it some, silver soldered it up and cut off the excess bolt.
It works great so far although I made it about 1/4" too long but it doesn't matter.
You might be able to keep the adjusters if you shorten the housing at the top where it goes into the twist grip.
Dave