To paint the Engine or not

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: To paint the Engine or not

Post by low-side »

With that mileage and everything so clean I personally wouldn't disturb the clutches. I would test the stator with a multimeter though, just to be safe.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

low-side wrote:With that mileage and everything so clean I personally wouldn't disturb the clutches. I would test the stator with a multimeter though, just to be safe.
+1...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Jetdr wrote:snip...............….The water pump is the original one. I replaced the seals and o rings and check for play on the pump. All seemed to be tight as new.
The one on my LTD was exactly like that. Then when I started it the first time coolant came out of the weep hole pretty fast.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Jetdr
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Jetdr »

robin1731 wrote:
Jetdr wrote:snip...............….The water pump is the original one. I replaced the seals and o rings and check for play on the pump. All seemed to be tight as new.
The one on my LTD was exactly like that. Then when I started it the first time coolant came out of the weep hole pretty fast.

Well that’s not the news I want to hear!! Guess we shall see in a few months when I get this all put back together. If it leaks I deal with it.

Guess I should start a Restoration Thread.
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

That motor appears to have been well looked after with oil changes as shown by the condition of the interior metal parts. When you have the rear cover off to service the clutch and kick starter I would also flush the starter clutch rollers. You can spray a cleaner and then a lube directly into the starter clutch parts through 3 small holes in the rotor. You don't need to remove the rotor to do this procedure and the holes are visible near the rear section of the rotor assembly
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.