Rear wheel drives

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: Rear wheel drives

Post by rcmatt007 »

robin1731 wrote:
My famous/infamous line, "Anything can be made to fit anything". It just depends on your fabricating skills or how deep your pockets are. ;)

deep...... empty, but deep
Trading-empty-pockets.jpg
Trading-empty-pockets.jpg (10.47 KiB) Viewed 164 times
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

When you are mixing & matching like that make sure there is something rubber (Honda used either a seal and an o-ring or 2 o-rings depending on the model) to keep the grease in the splines and the dirt out. I mention this a lot because I had to replace the splines on my 650 after an o-ring broke and road grit turned the grease into grinding compound.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
BiKenG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BiKenG »

Sidecar Bob wrote:When you are mixing & matching like that make sure there is something rubber (Honda used either a seal and an o-ring or 2 o-rings depending on the model) to keep the grease in the splines and the dirt out. I mention this a lot because I had to replace the splines on my 650 after an o-ring broke and road grit turned the grease into grinding compound.
I am aware of that, but good point. Something I will look into as I get further into the project.
Ken
--
You can't have too many bikes
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Getting a 1200 rim onto a 1000 final drive might be a nice mod for some. The 15” rim raises gearing for easier take offs and lowers the ride height for vertically challenged. Win-win and looks good- win-win-win
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Um... a smaller wheel would lower the overall gearing... which would make pulling away easier. But it would also make the RPMs at highway speed higher and increase fuel consumption.

But that is based on the same tire width & aspect ratio being used and I doubt that a rim made for a 150/90 tire would be suitable for a 4.50 width (110/100) tire. The theoretical diameter of the 1000 wheel with stock tire would be 26" and the theoretical diameter of the 1200 wheel with stock tire would be 25.63" so the rear end would only be 0.185" (about 3/16") lower and the gearing would only change by about 1.4% (negligible).

The next thing we have to consider is how wide a tire can you use with a 1000 swingarm? For the sake of argument lets assume that you could fit a 130 in there and that said 130/90 tire would be suitable for the rim designed for a 150/90 (I think I'd look make sure such a tire is made AND that a 130 will fit inside the 1000 swingarm before going much farther). The 1200 rear wheel with 130/90-15 tire would have a theoretical diameter of 25.24", which would lower the rear end by 0.38" (about 3/8") and lower the overall gearing by a bit over 3% (still not very significant).

And the wider tire will not handle as well because it will take more effort to lean into turns.

About now some of you will have remembered that BiKenG was talking about an 1100, not a 1000. The 1100 came with a 130/90-17 (t.d.26.21") or a 140/90-16 (t.d. 25.92") rear tire, depending on which year. I doubt that a 150/90 tire will fit either swingarm but I'm sure the 1200 wheel will work with a 140/90 tire, which would have a t.d. of 24.92". which would lower an early 1100 by 0.645" (5/8") and a later one by 0.5" (1/2") and increase the RPM by 5% (early) or 4% (late) (starting to become significant).

So it comes back to how much effort and how many compromises are you willing to make for a cool looking wheel?
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
BiKenG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BiKenG »

Sidecar Bob wrote:Um... a smaller wheel would lower the overall gearing... which would make pulling away easier. But it would also make the RPMs at highway speed higher and increase fuel consumption.

But that is based on the same tire width & aspect ratio being used and I doubt that a rim made for a 150/90 tire would be suitable for a 4.50 width (110/100) tire. The theoretical diameter of the 1000 wheel with stock tire would be 26" and the theoretical diameter of the 1200 wheel with stock tire would be 25.63" so the rear end would only be 0.185" (about 3/16") lower and the gearing would only change by about 1.4% (negligible).

The next thing we have to consider is how wide a tire can you use with a 1000 swingarm? For the sake of argument lets assume that you could fit a 130 in there and that said 130/90 tire would be suitable for the rim designed for a 150/90 (I think I'd look make sure such a tire is made AND that a 130 will fit inside the 1000 swingarm before going much farther). The 1200 rear wheel with 130/90-15 tire would have a theoretical diameter of 25.24", which would lower the rear end by 0.38" (about 3/8") and lower the overall gearing by a bit over 3% (still not very significant).
About now some of you will have remembered that BiKenG was talking about an 1100, not a 1000. The 1100 came with a 130/90-17 (t.d.26.21") or a 140/90-16 (t.d. 25.92") rear tire, depending on which year. I doubt that a 150/90 tire will fit either swingarm but I'm sure the 1200 wheel will work with a 140/90 tire, which would have a t.d. of 24.92". which would lower an early 1100 by 0.645" (5/8") and a later one by 0.5" (1/2") and increase the RPM by 5% (early) or 4% (late) (starting to become significant).

So it comes back to how much effort and how many compromises are you willing to make for a cool looking wheel?
Mostly good points, but it's not necessarily a compromise and there's a lot to play with in terms of wheels, tyres, swing-arms, gearing etc. Ultimately, I will construct a bike that looks how I want it to look and I WILL then make it work the way I want, with the gearing I want. This is not to be some commuter special, nor a 'race track refugee'. It's a big heavy lump of a motorcycle with not a lot of power in today's terms, but they make great custom projects.
And the wider tire will not handle as well because it will take more effort to lean into turns.
C'mon Bob, do you really think you'll tell the difference between say a 130 and a 140 tyre, or even a 150 (all else being equal)? On a big fat Gold Wing? On my FireBlade, on a race track probably yes, but a Gold Wing, on the road? Nah, sorry, I really don't think so. I've ridden bikes with a 240 rear tyre that turned and handled way better than you'll EVER achieve from a Gold Wing.

The profile of the tyre is far more important to how the bike feels in the turns and how easy it is to get there. A narrow tyre with squarer profile will be far worse than a wide tyre with pointy profile and plenty of Wing riders have gone to the darkside with quite wide square car tyres and say it makes little difference.

So am I worried about how a 150 might adversely affect the handling of a Gold Wing bobber, over say a 130 rear tyre? Er, not exactly, no. ;)
Ken
--
BiKenG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BiKenG »

Talking of gearing, would I be right in thinking the secondary reduction gears of the 1000 would fit in the 1100 and 1200 engines. This would raise the gearing nicely, but looks like the crankcases would need to be split to change them, yes?
Ken
--
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

it is important to remember that rim size is not the only issue. Often smaller rims have bigger tires. So the 16" front wheel is almost the same diameter as my 19" front wheel because of the tires size
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

That’s true, and the way the swingarm is shaped it would likely require surgery for the 15” because the 16” hits on some bikes already.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

You can also loose tire patch contact by putting a wider tire on a rim than it was designed for. Put a 140 or 150 tire on a rim made for a 130 tire and you loose some contact patch. This is because the beads on that wider tire are pulled closer together than they were designed for.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

yes they will get oblong and miss-shapin
-Rodger-
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I agree that these 'Wings aren't the best handling bikes in the world but that means they need all the help they can get. And everything in life (and especially in bike customizing) is a compromise, whether you recognize it as such or not. Very few of the things you can change will have entirely positive results (as in a neat looking wheel that increases the fuel consumption slightly). You can't avoid making compromises and I wasn't telling you not to change your wheel because of the factors I mentioned, I was mostly replying to Eric's comment that a 1200 wheel on a 1000 would be a win-win situation.

Re tire width vs rim width vs profile:
The last tires I had on my 'Wing on 2 wheels were Kenda Kruz (K673). The front had a V shaped profile so that it leaned into turns as easily as a narrower tire but it had a bigger contact patch once leaned. It handled better with them than any other tires I ever had on it.

My winter machine started out as a CX650E (the Eurosport model) and has the original E front wheel which has a 2.50 rim width. I run 3.50-18 tires on it and that produces a much squarer profile than the tire would have on a 2.25 width rim but that's OK on a bike that doesn't lean...

BTW: On cx500forum.com we frequently have people ask about replacing a GL500's original 16" rear wheel with 18" CX500 rear wheel to raise the overall gearing (they run at 7000+ RPM on the highway) and we have to explain to them that it is the tire size and not just the rim size that makes the difference and that, with the stock tire sizes the diameters are virtually identical.
BiKenG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BiKenG »

As we all know, the gearing resulting from the use of any particular tyre will come from the diameter, the width AND the aspect ratio. In theory, if you want to raise the gearing without going to a wider tyre, try one with just a larger aspect ratio as that would increase the circumference and hence raise the gearing. The problem of course is that not all combinations are available.

After the weight, the lack of gearing adjustability is the biggest drawback of shaft drive.
Ken
--
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Yeah but it is soooooo nice not to have to clean & lube a chain...
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Sidecar Bob wrote:Yeah but it is soooooo nice not to have to clean & lube a chain...
And the noise. anim-cheers1

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder