Squishy Brake Lever

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Mashmash
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Squishy Brake Lever

Post by Mashmash »

Thanks for all the help guys. I've yet to solve the problem... I am starting to suspect the brake lines themselves. I've noticed that brake fluid becomes very dirty looking even after running a large amount of brake fluid through them in my efforts to find the phantom air bubbles.
1981 GL1100
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Are you still using the original 37 year old rubber brake lines?

Rubber lines should be replaced every 2-3 fluid changes (5-6 years). They deteriorate due to ozone in the air, ultra violet from sunlight, and contact with brake fluid. Have you ever wondered why brake fluid turns red/brown after a couple of years? it's a combination of oxydization caused by the moisture that finds it's way through the porous rubber and rubber particles suspended in the fluid. I think it is obvious that this reduces the incompressability of the fluid, and thus impairs the function of the brake. Not to mention what can happen if the water boils because the caliper gets hot.

If you wrap one hand around a rubber line and squeeze the lever with the other you will feel the tubing expand. This is fluid moved by the master cylinder that doesn't contribute to the movement of the caliper piston(s). In other words: lost braking power.

Modern stainless braided lines, on the other hand, aren't terribly expensive, should last forever unless mechanically damaged and they don't contaminate the fluid so the change interval can be doubled.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Mashmash
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Mashmash »

Why yes. As far as I know they are the original brake lines and or are at least rubber. Anyone have suggestions for good replacements? I've seen these so far...
http://www.helperformance.us/hel-brake- ... -1981.html
https://www.ebay.com/sch/up-the-shop/m. ... p-the-shop
Seems a little pricey to me, but I am cheap.
Again I appreciate all the help.
1981 GL1100
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

How much is being able to stop worth to you? I'm really cheap too but I consider it a long term investment - some of the lines on my 'Wing are 21 years old now and as good as the day I first installed them.

BTW: Don't forget to get a line for the rear brake too.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

Sidecar Bob wrote:How much is being able to stop worth to you? I'm really cheap too but I consider it a long term investment - some of the lines on my 'Wing are 21 years old now and as good as the day I first installed them.

BTW: Don't forget to get a line for the rear brake too.
Two things I'm 'happy' to pay for are tyres and brakes. I fitted Hel brake lines to my bike and very happy with them, but saying that it's hard to compare with others.
20150625_175358.jpg
20150625_175358.jpg (112.13 KiB) Viewed 100 times
20150625_175408.jpg
20150625_175408.jpg (109.95 KiB) Viewed 100 times
anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I bought Russell brake lines in the size I needed along with the appropriate fittings
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

2 of the lines on my 'Wing are Earl's (bought from a car speed & custom catalogue) with factory applied banjo fittings and the other 2 are from bulk line & compression type fittings my local Honda bike dealer ordered from an aftermarket parts catalogue. The line on my 650 is a Goodridge that came as a length of hose with factory applied fittings and banjo fittings with threaded ends to screw into the ends of the line. They all work just as well.