Fuel supply issues

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

1983lux
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Fuel supply issues

Post by 1983lux »

Hey guys,

After rebuilding and syncing my carbs, I've noticed another issue with the bike. After running it for a while, I notice that my see-through fuel filter looks totally empty. It'll run normally like this for a while, but then will start bogging and shutting down at idle. If I leave the bike sitting around for a while, the filter will fill back up with fuel and it'll run fine. Notes on history:

-I recently cleaned out the fuel tank as extensively as I could without removing it from the bike before installing my new carbs. Did a week long vinegar soak, drained with water several times. Fair bit of crud came out. Then soaked with pine sol (in case what I was seeing on the tank was dried-on oily fuel rather than rust), rinsed with water again. Did electrolysis for about 3 days, cleaning the rod off a few times. Rinsed with water, ran a tank of fuel w/ some seafoam through it, changed fuel filter and hoses, put new carbs on, and filled the tank up again.

-My last fuel pump was weeping fuel very slightly from the weep hole, so I replaced it with a pump from a junkyard GL1100 about a month ago. The new pump does not weep any fuel.

My questions are:
1. Can a fuel pump not be working 100% without any fuel coming out of the weep hole? (I did stick a rod in there to make sure it wasn't plugged with crud).
2. I've seen that its possible to rebuild them, but I'd be happy to buy a rebuilt one from a member here if anybody does that. (Thought I recall seeing a post about somebody selling rebuilt ones for cash+old pump)
3. Any other possibilities as to why I seem to be running out of fuel pressure? Anything I should check?

Thanks. I don't know how I'd keep this old girl running without all the help I get here.
1975 Honda GL1000 - Naked
Motor from 1979 Model
1975 Cams and Carbs
Dyna S Ignition
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Fuel supply issues

Post by Whiskerfish »

I have read threads where guys chased air and empty filters till they were blue in the face and seldom if ever found or fixed anything. I would do a pump flow test and monitor the filter to see if it is in fact part of the problem or not before chasing it. Pump flow test is in the reference forum here.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Does it help if you loosen the gas cap?

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

Is it possible crud got into the drain/screen at the bottom of the tank?
I cleaned my tank then red-coated it. So the coating didn't plug up the drain tube you have to blow compressed air back through there. That is what I did anyway. Seemed like there was less flow out the hose than other bikes but I could be wrong.

I blew air back up the gas line with the valve on and on reserve after I put a little gas in it too. It seemed tohelp get the flow going.
I did it outside cause there is gas involved :-D
1978GL1000 naked - kinda sadly gone. no bike at the moment.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
scootsx2
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by scootsx2 »

You might have compromised the fuel flow with the RedKote. Did you have the tank out when you applied the RedKote or did youi do it with the tank in place? Even after it looks like it has cured inside the tank it can still flow slowly over several hours and you might have contaminated the screens and/or the feed tubes. RedKote is acetone soluble so you can clean it out of the tank fairly easily.
1975 GL1000 Sidecar Outfit
1982 CX500-based Trident ex-Police Trike
2001 GL1800 MotorTrike
2006 Vespa LX150
1956 Francis-Barnett Falcon 74
195x Solex 1700
196x Solex 2200

St. Louis, MO

The dude abides.

Brothers of the Third Wheel - Gateway Chapter http://www.btw-trikers.org
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club http://www.vjmc.org
Francis-Barnett Owners Club http://www.francis-barnett.co.uk/
Antique Motorcycle Club of America http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/
Vintage Motor Cycle Club http://www.vmcc.net
British Motorcycle Charitable Trust http://www.bmct.org/
VeloSolex Club UK http://www.velosolexclubuk.com/
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

Yeah that is what I thought. I did get it to flow but not sure yet if it is enough.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Why not just rig up an external fuel supply and put the issue to bed? You could eliminate blocked petcock, faulty fuel pump and kinking or occluded fuel lines in one fell sweep.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
mmrabit
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by mmrabit »

I’m having the same issue on my 78, got a new petcock, haven’t put it on yet. The gas tank looks new on the inside, wondering about an after market gas cap. Really has me puzzled
Thanks
Mike
Bakersfield
78 GL1000 Current Bike
2004 R1150R Sold
2000 Sportster Sold
1994 FXR Sold (should have kept)
84 1200 Aspencade Sold
80 1100 Standard (should have kept)
1983lux
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by 1983lux »

Hey all, finally had some time to mess around with the bike. I took the top off the fuel pump and had a look, diaphram is in good shape. Stuck the end of the hose that normally goes to the petcock into a jerry can and the pump seemed to be sucking fuel just fine. When I turned the petcock to the 'ON' position, nothing was coming out, which I assumed was because I was a bit below half a tank. However, when I shot some compressed air into the petcock hose w/ the gascap off, the fuel started pouring out.

My guess is, I didn't do a good enough job of cleaning out my gas tank with electrolysis, or maybe it flash rusted. Perhaps some bits of rust had clogged up the inlet screen inside the fuel tank, and they were dislodged by me blowing compressed air in. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get the tank professionally coated next spring before I ruin my rebuilt carbs. Have to take the rear wheel and final drive off to lube up the driveshaft splines anyway.
1975 Honda GL1000 - Naked
Motor from 1979 Model
1975 Cams and Carbs
Dyna S Ignition
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

When I first got my 83 interstate running it had fuel supply issues as well even after cleaning out the tank. It turned out the fuel lines inside the tank were plugged so I had to use an old speedometer cable and ran it through the lines to clean them out.
Scott
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

use an old speedometer cable and ran it through the lines to clean them out.
good idea I might have to try that.