Starter Grinding

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

wmpotter399
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Starter Grinding

Post by wmpotter399 »

I just purchased a 1983 GL1100 Aspencade. I drove over 160 miles each way to get it. To be honest, I couldn't pass up the deal. The guy originally said that the air shock was leaking. Which, Is no big deal. So I drive the 160 miles. And when I get there the bike is running. He said that the battery was dead so he jump started it when I told him I was 10 minutes away. I should have know better. I rode the bike around the block. It rode real nice. And to be 100% honest. For an 83, the bike looked like it was in great shape. And for $100, you couldn't go wrong. Yes... I said $100. So I loaded it up and drove home. I went to take it off the trailer and it would not start. Battery was stone dead. So I pushed it off. I got a running start and popped the clutch. It started and I rode it up the driveway into my back yard. I put a booster pack on the battery and everything lit up. I pulled the clutch in and pushed the starter button. Never in my life have I heard such a God awful grinding noise when the starter engaged. The noise stopped shortly after I let go. Reading the manual, it says to pull the starter, you have to pull the engine from the frame. But I have seen quite a few posts from people saying that you can pull the starter with the engine in the frame. I know that I was able to do it on my old GL1000. Does anyone know for sure?

Now from what I read, the starter clutch is a big culprit with this bike. What does anyone think the odds are that my issue is only the starter? I see that you get a new gear with the starter. Is there a chance that the splines on the starter output stripped out that gear?

Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks guys [img]
GOLDWING.jpg
GOLDWING.jpg (86.44 KiB) Viewed 359 times
[/img]
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: Starter Grinding

Post by rcmatt007 »

no you do not have to pull the engine to change the starter... you do have to remove the headers.

WHERE is the noise coming from? I cannot imagine it being from the starter motor. I have never heard of the splines stripping out where it goes into the gear. I suppose the chain could have something wrong, but I have never heard of that happening either.

The start is a sprag (centrifugal) clutch which engages in the alternator/stator. If the sound is the back of the engine what I would imagine you have is that the rotor for stator is loose. You can check in the back of the engine where there is a cap you can remove. inside is a 12 mm bolt which holds the rotor in place,
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

btw, for $100 you got a steal even if you have to do a bunch of work.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Yeah, rcmatt is correct. Sometime's you can run some MMO in the oil for a short time and get the rollers in the starter clutch to loosen up and start working. Yours may be too far gone though. Replacing the starter clutch is an engine out job. But for what you paid I would fix it and still be very happy.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

I had one starter that the gears in the end..broke..so take the starter off and open the end look and see what's up
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

I'm always commenting, (moaning) about the difference you guys pay for a runner compared to everyone else, but $100 is basically a giveaway, especially for an 83!
You can remove the starter without taking the engine out with a bit of manouvering, including taking the exhaust off. You can then check the splines on the starter and the cog, but I doubt that that is the problem. If it is the cog or, as is more likely the starter clutch, then it's engine out and rear cover off. Not a hard job but get a good manual. You could try the mmo way, but that may be just a quick fix imho.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Last edited by chewy999 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
wmpotter399
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by wmpotter399 »

rcmatt007 wrote:btw, for $100 you got a steal even if you have to do a bunch of work.

I agree with you 100%. It was a great deal. I will try to get someone out there with me so I can put my ear down there while someone hits the button for me.
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

On an 1100 I'm pretty sure you don't even have to remove the headers to get the starter out.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Edmaddox
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Edmaddox »

Another starter issue. Take starter off and pull gear head of of it. If it’s a cheap starter like one I had I will geruntee gears are all chewed up.
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

Sagebrush wrote:On an 1100 I'm pretty sure you don't even have to remove the headers to get the starter out.
Correct. We proved that with Roady's bike a few years back. Biggest thing to remember is to be careful how you detach the power cable. Place a very thin wrench on the lower not and do not allow it to turn while removing the upper nut. remove the mounting bolts and wiggle the starter right out.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I have an '83 and I can say for sure that not only do you have to remove the left header to get the starter motor out but you also have to pull the rearmost exhaust stud too (just thread 2 of the exhaust nuts onto it flange to flange, tighten them against each other, put the wrenches on the nuts so that squeezing them will tighten them farther and turn the stud by squeezing while turning). Once the stud is out you will need to move the starter motor out of the hole in the engine and wiggle it a bit to get it out but it will come.

And don't believe the people that tell you that you have to put the bike on the sidestand to keep the chain in the right place. The sidecar makes mine stand pretty much vertical and I've never had a problem getting the starter motor's splines to slide into the gear's splines.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
wmpotter399
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by wmpotter399 »

I am going to attempt removal this weekend. If I remember correctly from my GL1000, I need to drain the oil first. Correct? I have not seen anyone mention that yet.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

You don't need to drain the oil to remove the starter motor.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
wmpotter399
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by wmpotter399 »

type1 OK. So I had a few minutes yesterday morning. 2 bolts and out it came. Didn't have to remove anything else to get it out. I did see a shaving or 2 on the splines. But it doesn't appear to be stripped at all. I stuck my finger in the hole and was able to turn the sprocket in only one direction. It will not turn the other was. So if I am correct....that means that the starter clutch is good. Or am I mistaken? But what is confusing my is that I used a battery and some jumper cables....I jumped the starter and it turns....and in don't hear and grinding. But I don't feel anything when I am turning the gear in the engine either. I am taking the stater to work tomorrow to take it apart. I want to check the internal gears that people mentioned in this post. Thanks for the help guys. I will keep you posted.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

You may be able to turn the gear in one direction and not the other by hand. But under the torque of the starter it is totally different.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder