GL1000 starter clutch

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

kenai
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

GL1000 starter clutch

Post by kenai »

Hi All - what are symptoms of bad starter clutch? how difficult is replacement and parts thxs kenai
2 - 1979 GL1000
1 - 1978
1 - 1977
1 for parts
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: GL1000 starter clutch

Post by Rat »

Engine spins but doesn't catch .... dozens of threads here .... scroll to the bottom of the page for 'similar threads' ....
And check ShopTalk.

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

RAT wrote:Engine spins but doesn't catch .... dozens of threads here .... scroll to the bottom of the page for 'similar threads' ....
And check ShopTalk.

Gord
great advice, RAT action1
following your directions, I scrolled to the bottom of this page and found considerable wisdom in 'Similar Threads' , too!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30830
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Ummm.... I think he meant "starter spins but doesn't catch"...
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin

Post by Rat »

Right you are ....

Gord :oops:
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

No, I think he meant the starter spins but the start clutch doesn't engage the engine!! anim-cheers1
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin

Post by Rat »

OK .... I meant .... whatever .... anim-cheers1

Gord :8)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Just to clarify:

If you aren't familiar with the Starter Clutch, basically, the springs & caps push the rollers against the boss on the starter sprocket at an angle so that when the starter sprocket is turning faster than the engine the rollers grab the boss and push the starter clutch. The starter clutch is attached to the alternator rotor which is connected to the crankshaft by a chain so when the starter clutch turns the crankshaft turns. After the engine starts it turns faster than the starter driven gear so the rollers don't grab the boss.

When the starter clutch has problems (usually caused by one or more of the 3 springs breaking or becoming too short to push the rollers against the boss on the starter sprocket) the starter motor will spin without turning the engine. It usually begins with the starter clutch not grabbing every time (particularly if it is cold out) so that you have to press the start button, realize it hasn't grabbed, wait for the starter motor to stop spinning and press the button again 2 or 3 times before it grabs and the engine starts.

After a while it gets worse and the starter clutch mostly grabs as the starter motor slows down after it has been spinning without turning the engine which means it grabs after you release the button so the starter motor pretty much stops as soon as the starter clutch grabs. You will think you can beat this by pressing the Start button in brief pulses and that might work for a while but eventually that won't work very well either.

If you keep trying to avoid fixing it eventually the starter sprocket's boss will be hammered by those rollers so much that it is no longer close enough to smooth and round anymore and the springs will no longer be able to push the rollers against it anyway. But you will keep trying because it is cold and you want to drive home and go inside where it is warm and you will eventually rub the battery down and have to stop trying. At least that's what I did when the starter clutch in my CX650E based winter machine went (exactly the same starter clutch as the 'Wings have except that it grabs a boss on a gear instead of a sprocket).

That engine had other problems and I was just trying to keep it running until I could replace it. When I opened it up there were wear marks on the rollers, the springs were very compressed (very few coils sticking out of the caps) and several coils short, the ends of the caps are actually dished where they contact the rollers and the boss on the starter driven gear that the rollers engage with has a lot of damage from the rollers hammering against it. The caged roller bearing that the starter driven gear runs on was very loose with wear marks on the rollers. 2 of the 3 torx screws were loose. The surfaces in the starter clutch outer and the flywheel where the ends of the rollers rub on them had very deep wear marks with burrs.

BTW: When you open the engine to rebuild the starter clutch, whether the FSM tells you to or not DO NOT disturb the 3 torx head screws. It is not necessary to remove them to replace the springs, caps and rollers and if you do remove them they MUST BE REPLACED because they are single use screws that are stretched when torqued. Using them a second time can weaken them to the point where they can break at some time in the future after you have started running the engine.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

Plus sometimes it's just crap/gunk in the starter clutch that gums up the springs/roller, etc. cleaning the crap/gunk out (that's the process described in several of the threads..adding solvent to the oil running it a 100+/- miles easy and then doing an oil change) may returns the clutch to working order. worth a shot before pulling the engine.
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Also heavy oil, not ridden for a while, and cold weather can cause this problem. Or just plain dirty oil
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200