Steering head bearing issue? In my 75 GL1000

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

dartman1962
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Steering head bearing issue? In my 75 GL1000

Post by dartman1962 »

Hi everyone,

I am experiencing a little bit of a slight pull from left to right when riding down the road "straight" coasting or decelerating is when I notice it the most, It's kinda strange to describe, it's like I can't keep the bike upright it wants to rock back & forth from side to side!

I had done a frame off restoration in 2009, 8.000 miles ago, & the bearings looked ok & rode fine, but in the last season, have noticed the above condition. The bike has 62,000 miles now.

My bike has the original Ball bearing head stock set up, not sure if this is the issue or where to start.

I have changed the front tire as it looked like it had a high center ridge & low side edges on the original new front tire, but with a new front tire, it still seems to do this.

So, I am wondering, change the steering head bearings from ball bearings to Taper roller Bearings?

Is there any heads up things I should be aware of before attempting.

Any feedback is appreciated.
1975 Honda Goldwing,
2000 Honda Ace Tourer
Let's R&R, Rev it up & ride!

Image Image Image
The day I purchased the loaded wing for the sum of $20.00. Nearly finished 1975 NGW way better naked!. My 2000 1100 Honda Ace Tourer. Next project?
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Steering head bearing issue? In my 75 GL1000

Post by ritalz »

Have you had the forks off for any reason? If so, put the bike on the center stand and loosen all four pinch bolts at the same time to allow the forks to center themselves. Could also check for play in the swing arm bearings.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

Changing the headstock bearings to taper rollers is easy, Honda changed to using them sometime from mid 76 onwards. If you buy a kit from the likes of allballs it comes with the bearings, grease seals and spacers for the installation.
pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by pjlogue »

Highly likely your steering head races are dimpled if they are origional @ 60,000 mi. Raise the front wheel up off the ground and turn the head and see if you feel any notchyness in the head. The head bearings are easy to replace. Hardest part is getting the lower race off the lower tripple. Use a Dremmel with a cut off wheel and deeply score the race without cutting into the head. Then take a small cold chizzle and give the notch a good wack to break it.

You can replace with stock ball bearings or use tapered bearings. I have found using the tapered kits, if you try to use both top and bottome tapered bearings the top tripple will sit proud a few mm. I had this with my 750 and the GL1000. I used the lower tapered bearing and reused the upper ball bearing. Most force is put on the lower bearings.

-P.
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 05c50 »

You might be looking at the wrong end of the bike. Sounds like the swing arm bearings are worn. Switching from accel to decel with worn bearings can cause the swing arm to rock forward and backward.

.........Paul
I prefer to ride my wing naked,thank you
My wife asked me "How many bikes does one man need?" My answer "Uhhh.just one more"
75 Goldwing
78 Goldwing
77 CB750a
77 CB550f
80 CB650c
05 Boule C50
dartman1962
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dartman1962 »

Sorry everyone, been a little busy.

I will have to check the steering head bearings.

I did have the forks seals replaced about 5 years ago, but did not notice it after that. I did read about letting the forks centre themselves, & did do that when I reassembled them.

How should I check the rear swing arm arm bearings? Could the drive shaft create that issue?
1975 Honda Goldwing,
2000 Honda Ace Tourer
Let's R&R, Rev it up & ride!

Image Image Image
The day I purchased the loaded wing for the sum of $20.00. Nearly finished 1975 NGW way better naked!. My 2000 1100 Honda Ace Tourer. Next project?
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

+1 on checking the swingarm bearings, those are classic symptoms of worn swingarm bearings. If they're bad enough, putting it on the centerstand and trying to wiggle the rear wheel side to side should tell you. If they're only only slightly worn, you might need to remove the rear wheel and shocks to feel the movement.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Could also just pull one swingarm side at a time to examine the pins. If they’re pitted, you’ll se it. If not cleanup and regrease won’t hurt.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi