STUCK caliper pistons

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: STUCK caliper pistons

Post by chewy999 »

Pony Ruiz wrote: Now I'm wondering how those of you that used this method cleaned the grease out of the caliper. I got the bulk of it out. I do plan on new seals so I'm thinking maybe soak them in degreaser and then pump some brake cleaner in there then brake fluid?
I'd wipe out as much grease as possible, then a soak in brake cleaner. Use an aerosol brake cleaner in all the holes. If you have access to compressed air, that should help cleaning the holes. Brake cleaner should get rid of the grease quite easily.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

To pump grease in through the bleeder you need to block the inlet hole (replace the banjo with a plain bolt or install a large nut in place of the brake line) and loosen the bleeder half a turn or so.

I use mineral spirits to wash grease out/off of most things and for a caliper I would then flush with something called Tool and Parts Cleaner (aerosol spray from Canadian Tire - there must be something like it in the US), followed by Brake Cleaner.

I did a couple of calipers last week. I used the old master cylinder to get the pistons moving and in both cases, once the fluid had pushed the pistons against a single brake pad I disconnected the line, drained the caliper, removed the pad and put a piece of 1/8" flat steel between the pistons and the caliper, then applied air to the inlet to move the pistons into contact with the steel. After that I removed the steel and pulled the pistons out by hand.
Details & pics here https://cx500forum.com/forum/build-thre ... ost1005093

BTW: I believe that every shop should have the 4 basic solvents

Water: Cleans off dirt and, when used with detergent, some oil & grease.

Methanol: (AKA methyl hydrate) an inexpensive, general purpose alcohol. Used to remove sticker glue, dried fuel deposits (carb varnish), magic marker and a host of other things. Can also be used as gas line anti-freeze, but it costs a lot less in the paint dept.

Mineral spirits: (AKA white spirit, paint thinner, Varsol)(The only difference between the generic stuff and Varsol is the royalty that goes to Exxon for the brand name) Used to remove oil & grease that soap & water won't and to thin & clean brushes when using oil based paint. Good for black heel marks on floors too. With the exception of carb deposits, generally whatever methanol won't remove mineral spirits will & vise versa.

Lacquer thinner: Nasty stuff - if you leave your fingers in it too long it will dry the oil out of the skin and it will become dry & stiff. Removes any oil/grease residue left by mineral spirits so it is an ideal pre-painting final wipe. Removes fibreglass resin from your fingers and can be wiped onto the surface of old fibreglass to briefly soften it when preparing to add filler. Last chance solvent for whatever mineral spirits and methanol won't remove. Caution: will remove most paint so don't spill it on anything.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Just use brake cleaner and flush the little hole out with the red plastic nozzle that comes with the cleaner.
That's how I did it and had no problems.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
dbtroudy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dbtroudy »

+1 on the grease gun. Messy but effective.
Yes, very messy but effective. I've used it several times when working on old brakes that have been stuck for many years.
Just be prepared to clean all the grease from all the passages when your done. DOT 3 break fluid and grease are not compatible.

Donjamin
DBTroudy
Fullerton, CA

'03 GW GL1800 Yellow
'76 GW GL1000 LTD #859
'75 CB200T
GP in Minn
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by GP in Minn »

Pony Ruiz wrote:Thanks. I have some speed bleeders....never occurred to me to just put the g.gun on it.
Gonna give it a go.
Pony Ruiz wrote: . . . Putting it over the bleeder didn't work - hole to small I reckon. . . .
The hole wasn’t too small, the speed bleeder has a check valve.
Gregg
Gregg
USMC 1983-1992
Army National Guard 1997-2009 (Retired)

1984 GL1200 Standard (all the pieces are there, but not together)
1984 GL1200 Aspencade bagger
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Wipe them oout with your finger, and paper towels, whatever, then soak them in mineral spirits (parts washer fluid) and use a paint brush in the mineral spirits to clean them up. PS use real mineral spirits, not that white paint thinner stuff.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

that white stuffy YUCK
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I don't know about where you guys are but around here the stuff sold as generic paint thinner is exactly the same as Varsol brand except for the price.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

down here there is a low VOC paint thinner which is milky white. What I have found is that once you use it, it separates out. So I wonder if it like latex paint
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I haven't seen that. The stuff I use is water clear. One of the big hardware chains here used to carry "Low Odour Paint Thinner" that worked just as well as the regular stuff but had about half of the mineral spirits smell but I haven't seen it for a long time. I guess there isn't as much market for it since alkyd house paints are almost unheard of these days.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

we also have the clear stuff. I only bought the white stuff because I did not realize what it was in the opaque container it was in
-Rodger-
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

BTW RE stuck pistons: Someone on one of the forums once mentioned using internal pipe wrenches for getting stuck caliper pistons to move. I thought it might be useful so I bought a set of them but I never remember to try them when I'm working on a caliper.
wog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wog »

I've never failed using the heat and ice method. No mess to clean up.
Heat whole thing with a basic propane torch, then drop a couple ice cubes in the piston "cup".
Pull the piston out with plyers.

Note: I've only done this with GL calipers, not with other model bikes.
Great to keep these old 'Wings flying on down the road.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

what a great idea!
-Rodger-
wog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wog »

Finally found the pics I took years ago.
Nice to use physics to your advantage :-D
Attachments
camera pics 111613 281.jpg
camera pics 111613 281.jpg (130.94 KiB) Viewed 229 times
camera pics 111613 282.jpg
camera pics 111613 282.jpg (118.14 KiB) Viewed 229 times
camera pics 111613 283.jpg
camera pics 111613 283.jpg (122.74 KiB) Viewed 229 times
camera pics 111613 284.jpg
camera pics 111613 284.jpg (127.31 KiB) Viewed 229 times
Great to keep these old 'Wings flying on down the road.