Chain Drive and

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

draw
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Chain Drive and

Post by draw »

Has any one converted a gl1100 to chain? I have seen a gl1500 http://steelcreations.com.pl/en/cooperation
But nothing else. Any ideas? Hopefully this hasn't been asked a hundred times.....

Thanks,

Draw
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Chain Drive and

Post by ericheath »

Been done, spendy, unless you have lots laying around and a decent shop. The Dragon is coming to my mind.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

WHY?
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

CYBORG wrote:WHY?
to be able to constantly clean of the thrown chain lube? :twisted:
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

new O ring chains are supposed to eliminate that. I know that it is a more efficient transfer of power. But if you want chain drive, why buy a Goldwing. Might be easier to replace the Goldwing engine with a Harley engine,.....or just buy a chain drive bike
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

Harley's now have belts drives, quieter, efficient, and NO CHAIN LUBE
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

rcmatt007 wrote:Harley's now have belts drives, quieter, efficient, and NO CHAIN LUBE
I knew that, but even changing a shaft drive Goldwing the belt drive seems like a lot of work, when all you have to do is buy a bike that is already belt drive. Part of the reason I liked goldwings was the engine, the engineering, and the shaft drive
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

Cyborg: Why did you put nitrous on your bike when you could have just bought a faster bike?

Why do all of these guys here want to chop their perfectly functional bikes up into bobbers and cafe racers?

Because customizing their bikes is what bike customizers do.
IMHO - of course.
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

It would open up wheel and maybe even swingarm options. Simplest way would likely be: output shaft to bevel; shaft from bevel across back of engine; bearing support and sprocket on left side of bike. I think if you had to go that route benefits would only be aesthetic though; the turn at the bevel would counter any increased efficiency from the chain or belt drive conversion.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

dontwantapickle wrote:Cyborg: Why did you put nitrous on your bike when you could have just bought a faster bike?

Why do all of these guys here want to chop their perfectly functional bikes up into bobbers and cafe racers?

Because customizing their bikes is what bike customizers do.
IMHO - of course.
Installing nitrous is a lot easier the changing from a driveshaft to a chain. I consider changing t chain drive a step in the backward direction. Improving in the forward direction, to a more modern system, like electronic ign., non spoke wheels, brighter headlights, etc., including blowers or nitrous. All steps to more modern , improved systems. Old school systems are good enough for bar hopping, or bike show bragging rights, but for long hauls reliability and comfort is the ticket. Folks have different bikes for different uses. My question was designed to find out why anyone would revert to an older design, instead of upgrading to more modern systems. Creative reconstruction of systems are part of the quest to improve on what was designed at the factory some 40 years ago. Even the factory makes changes in the forward direction each year. But rarely back to older designs. I also put bigger, and better engines, in older cars...…… I's in my DNA
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

In the 70's chains were a real hassle. On my CB750 I'd oil it every 100 miles or so and usually adjust it then too. Oil was everywhere. Drive shaft seemed like a much better option. However, I much prefer chain drive now. The x-ring chains on my CB and my wife's Shadow are virtually maintenance-free. I squirt some chain wax on every few hundred miles and wash them off once every year. My wife's chain hasn't needed adjusting in the 18,000 miles or so she's had the bike and my 750 has been adjusted 2 flats total (1/3 turn of the adjusters) in 15,000 miles or so. It's a mechanically simple setup - drive shaft isn't.
Still, changing a GL to chain seems a bit over the edge.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

I guess that some folks out there don't always take the easiest route.

Maybe, making the swap to a chain is just for looks, or to be different, or maybe the guy is just curious as to how
much work would be involved in such a project.
Whatever his reasons...... He has a question, and he came here looking for information.

Personally, I don't care if the guy wanted do it to put a prop on the back and run his goldwing like an air boat.
But, If I had any insight to share with him on this topic, I would.
Last edited by dontwantapickle on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

my original question was not designed to belittle anyone, or their ideas. I'm a retired engineer, and I tend to look at most everything from an engineering point of view, how it was designed,...and how it can be improved. Just interested in his thinking processes.
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

CYBORG wrote:my original question was not designed to belittle anyone, or their ideas. I'm a retired engineer, and I tend to look at most everything from an engineering point of view, how it was designed,...and how it can be improved. Just interested in his thinking processes.
Yes. Seems like the engine would have to be mounted somehow at 90 degrees from normal to keep the mechanics simpler. Otherwise some kind of ring & pinion would be needed for direction change.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750