GL1100 crankcase breather hose constantly puking oil

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

stuartdivebum
Tin Member
Tin Member

GL1100 crankcase breather hose constantly puking oil

Post by stuartdivebum »

Hi all
This is driving me nuts, I have a new to me 1981 GL 1100 it has a new 4 into 1 weber 20/22 carb and manifold with a small air cleaner the crankcase vent hose runs open to the atmosphere and it constantly blows oil out of the vent hose. Low speed or high speed
- The oil is fresh and not overfilled
- The bike runs great (except for puking oil all the time) no stumbles or hesitation
- passes compression test according to my local shop
- no head gasket leaks
The bike is practically unridable as it uses more oil than a two-stroke, anybody have any insight as to what the issue may be?
Thanks
Dave
Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: GL1100 crankcase breather hose constantly puking oil

Post by Oldboy »

Sounds like you have a lot of blow by.....poor ring seal. How do the plugs look?
Cheers...

Just Wing-it
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

6A8445C1-DA74-4323-A251-1C7906599D5B.png
6A8445C1-DA74-4323-A251-1C7906599D5B.png (85.39 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Probably doesn’t help, but this how it’s supposed to work.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

Check it with your oil filler cap off and see if you are getting lots of pressure coming out of there too when the motor is running. It sounds like your crank case is being pressurized and that would be leaking rings (most likely) or valves guides allowing compression to leak into the crankcase.
Did the shop that did the compression test give you any numbers that they observed on the test?
If the bike sat for a long time before getting it running again, it is not unusual for the rings to be sticking. Usually after a 100 miles or so of riding they will loosen up and seal more completely.
If the latter is the case then you can introduce a pint of Seafoam into the oil and let the motor run at idle for 10 mins. with a fan on the rad if it is hot where you are and watching the temp gauge. After that drop the oil and change with fresh oil and again riding the bike over a distance will help release any sticking rings. The Seafoam will just help flush and remove any gummy residue from the rings and interior oil passages.
Last edited by flyin900 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
stuartdivebum
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by stuartdivebum »

Oldboy wrote:Sounds like you have a lot of blow by.....poor ring seal. How do the plugs look?
plugs look Ok, all four light tan color. Its the strangest thing, It runs really good except for its vent problem. I rode it about 125 miles this past weekend (picking it up) and the motor had blown out about a quart of oil you couldn't see oil in the sight window when the ride was done, it was full to the mark when I left. I hate to pull the motor down until I have no other option, the original miles odometer miles is 17614 the wing looks almost new, had set in storage for many years. A trusted friend got it running and did the single carb swap, we have done this carb mod on several older GLs with great results. I was thinking about routing crankcase vent hose directly into the air cleaner assy but fear it will overload carb with oil
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

I went through this with one of my engines a few years ago but mine would only do it under a load. It was a mid life engine between 120 and 130,000 miles but I think the real reason was it had been over heated. As a 78 the Crank breather feeds into the intake and it had been fouling the carbs for years and i could not figure out why. I put a new engine in it.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

Again check for high pressure in the crankcase. If your getting lots of pressure in there then there is a reason for that happening. Have you just got an open hose venting horizontally, or is there a small breather mounted on the end of the hose. Normally that hose would be vertical and connected directly into the air box
Some pressure from the crankcase is normal, yet if you have lots of pressure coming out of the crankcase then the above solution obviously won't help.
Here's a couple of pictures of the GL1100 stock air box that has a U shaped section that is actually sealed from the air filter section by the metal bottom of the filter. There is an input from the engine on one side of the bottom of the air box and and outlet on the other side to a drain hose.
Possibly this system offers some way of reducing the pressure and oil blow by on the motor?
P1060074.JPG
P1060074.JPG (85.14 KiB) Viewed 270 times
P1060073.JPG
P1060073.JPG (110.41 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
stuartdivebum
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by stuartdivebum »

flyin900 wrote:Again check for high pressure in the crankcase. If your getting lots of pressure in there then there is a reason for that happening. Have you just got an open hose venting horizontally, or is there a small breather mounted on the end of the hose. Normally that hose would be vertical and connected directly into the air box
Some pressure from the crankcase is normal, yet if you have lots of pressure coming out of the crankcase then the above solution obviously won't help.
Here's a couple of pictures of the GL1100 stock air box that has a U shaped section that is actually sealed from the air filter section by the metal bottom of the filter. There is an input from the engine on one side of the bottom of the air box and and outlet on the other side to a drain hose.
Possibly this system offers some way of reducing the pressure and oil blow by on the motor?

P1060074.JPG
P1060073.JPG
- It vents vertically straight up by a K&N style airbox and is open to the atmosphere, no filter. I have tried a filter on the vent hose but it clogs up with oil within a few days
- at smooth idle, it vents some pressure out of the hose but no more it would seem than my GL1000, it really seems at its worse for venting oil at highway speeds
- I was thinking of maybe an oil catch can to give it a little resistance and trap some oil but not sure if that would do anything except spend money.
- it doesn't foul the plugs and she runs really well except for the oil venting issue
- If it was an HD I would say the oil pump breather gear was out of time but I don't think a GL oil pump works in the same manner
Last edited by stuartdivebum on Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

You say it vents horizontally? Vertically is the way to go as in the stock set up and maybe that is what you mean? There is a plastic tank storage shown on the parts fiche for the 1981 GL1100 where the outlet hose from the bottom of the air box is connected.
Do you have the compression numbers on the cylinders from the shop? You want to see 150+ on a really healthy motor.
My only other thought is possibly the rings are still sticking from a long layup. I would think after a 100+ miles on your ride home they would have freed up, yet maybe not. If you have a favorite product you like such as Marvel Mystery Oil, Deep Creep etc it maybe worth running some as previously mentioned in post #4 to see if that helps.
Last edited by flyin900 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Bikes:

gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

stuartdivebum wrote:Hi all
This is driving me nuts, I have a new to me 1981 GL 1100 it has a new 4 into 1 weber 20/22 carb and manifold with a small air cleaner the crankcase vent hose runs open to the atmosphere and it constantly blows oil out of the vent hose. Low speed or high speed
- The oil is fresh and not overfilled I am not familiar with checking engine oil level on an 1100.
- The bike runs great (except for puking oil all the time) no stumbles or hesitation
- passes compression test according to my local shop no leakdown test performed?
- no head gasket leaks
The bike is practically unridable as it uses more oil than a two-stroke, anybody have any insight as to what the issue may be?
Thanks
Dave
If this was my engine I would:

#1 drain the engine oil and refill to the proper level.

#2 Perform an individual cylinders' leak down test.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

ericheath wrote:6A8445C1-DA74-4323-A251-1C7906599D5B.png

Probably doesn’t help, but this how it’s supposed to work.
Eric! I am not familiar with the internal details of this engine. But, the drawing vaguely indicates the crankcase vapor is
following a cavity upwards towards the breather fitting?

Is there supposed to be some sort of baffling in the crankcase vapor path that prevents slung off engine oil from directly reaching the underside of the breather hose fitting?

The crankshaft would be most responsible for engine oil sling off?
(Respectfully, I suspect the engine crankcase is overfilled and the underside of the 4 pistons are, collectively, aggressively agitating the liquid oil level.)
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
stuartdivebum
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by stuartdivebum »

Yes I meant vertical, long day. I am gonna try the deep creep/MMO and then go for a 100-200 mile ride this coming weekend and see if the oil issue abates. If not I have a spare motor or I will go into this one and see what’s up
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

I can't agree with adding deep creep to an engine and then running it. Even worse riding it. Maybe some sea foam or atf but nothing else. Just riding the bike normally without adding anything will loosen up stuck rings from sitting. As has been said earlier make absolutely sure it isn't over filled. That much oil in that short of time sort of points to that.

Also, like gltriker said I was thinking of a leakdown test. Any shop that didn't do that with this issue after doing compression check is subject IMO.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

- no head gasket leaks
Thanks
Dave
Not really enough information here to give an opinion. You say the oil is full. To the top line? to the lower line? in the middle? What are the compression numbers? How is the vent hose routed. Just to name a few. What type and weight of oil are you using?
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

CYBORG wrote:
- no head gasket leaks
Thanks
Dave
Not really enough information here to give an opinion. You say the oil is full. To the top line? to the lower line? in the middle? What are the compression numbers? How is the vent hose routed. Just to name a few. What type and weight of oil are you using?
Checked with the bike on the center stand.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder