Is this as nasty as I think it is?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: Is this as nasty as I think it is?

Post by Track T 2411 »

rcmatt007 wrote:you are suppose to change filters?
Yep... rear tires, too lolol lolol lolol
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Explorer
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Explorer »

mensor wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:you are suppose to change filters?
lolol Yeah apparently!
So let me ask this, do those Randakk high performance filters fit the GL1100 fuel filter bracket? Or does it just lie on the top of the motor like all the other non OEM's? You don't mention what model this was on.

I changed out a 7 year old fuel filter once, and it turned out "not" to be the problem.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

They fit like a glove fit the fuel filter bracket Hey it's Randakk…..would you expect anything less? :lol: :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

CYBORG wrote:Hard to complain about a filter that last 4 years :lol: :lol: :lol: I consider them an annual tune up thing
Wow Cybo, I just change them out every few (maybe 10) years or so. Never had one clog up though. I put Randakk's filter on my wife's VT750 ACE and my '75 GL1500 and they seem to work fine. One thing I'd avoid is Emgo. I ordered some stuff a few years back from Wingstuff.com for my '99 GL1500. One of the items I ordered was a fuel filter. The bike died in the middle of a Utah desert. I managed to get it going again and got home OK. When I checked the fuel filter (I cut it open), the element had come loose and was somehow jamming up the fuel flow. An Emgo. Incensed at Wingstuff for selling such junk, I never ordered from them again. I replaced it with a Honda filter.
I had a problem also with an air filter I bought from Parts'N'More for my CB750. I had to 'customize' it to fit but the bike ran super rich 'til I chucked it in the neighbor's yard and bought an OEM filter. I'm not dead sure but pretty sure it was an Emgo. I've since had an aversion to Emgo products - mainly those associated with the engine.
I'm pretty sure the neighbor figured out who was chucking old bike stuff in their yard. I'm the only motorcyclist nearby. But I'll continue denying any knowledge.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I always try and get fuel from a good source. But when you travel a lot, often in out of the way places, you often have to get fuel when and where you can. So using a re buildable filter makes trouble shooting a bit easier. I agree with the EMCO stuff. I won't use any of it. Even if a neighbor threw it over the fence into my yard :lol: :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
flyday58
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by flyday58 »

Alike minds think greatly, it seems. Got the Limited in January and have been going through it. I didn't like that orange-ish tint to the fuel filter so got an OEM one and installed it. The old filer was rattling like a spray paint can so I cut it open and found the same thing. Carbs were one of my first projects so they've already been cleaned, but I was surprised to find this. Call me new to the NGW world.
2005 BMW R1200GS
2008 BMW R1200RT
1988 Honda XR600R
1974 Yamaha GT80
mensor
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by mensor »

Thanks for all the input, guys. Drained the carb bowls and nothing but nice, clean gas came out. She’s running beautifully so back to my “if it ain’t broke” lifestyle. Lesson learned with emgo though (although I do love my superbike bars).
“I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I’m enjoying the ride”

'78 GL1000 “Ramblin’ Rose”
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I have a non-standard setup because of the 2nd tank (on the sidecar). I buy these filters cheap in bulk and replace them every couple of years or at the first sign of dirt inside
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....