A few questions...

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

glider101
Lead Member
Lead Member

A few questions...

Post by glider101 »

Hi-I'm a new member here and have already gleaned some great info from the threads. I wanted to get an 1100 but couldn't find one rideable at a decent price, then I came across an '84 1200 Interstate in good shape for a good price. Originally I was going to strip it but it will be a lot of work getting some things to work . I'll keep looking for an 1100 project and keep this one rideable.Have done the usual maintenance items along with pulling the carbs and cleaning out the jets. I have a few questions that I was hoping someone can answer:
-Fuel-do I need to run non-ethanol gas in this bike since it is an older bike. If not does it matter what octane level of ethanol gas is used.
-Lifting-can the bike be lifted with a hydraulic motorcycle jack. If so where should the pads be located.
-Height-I need to lower the bike a couple of inches. Is there any way to lower it-it has air shocks in the rear, or do I need to look at cutting down the seat.
Thanks!
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: A few questions...

Post by ericheath »

As long as the bike isn’t going to sit very long E10 is okay for these bikes. They are designed for 87 octane, so regular is fine. As I near fall riding season I try and start running only unleaded which here is also premium. I think most of us enrich the idle circuit 1/2 turn on the mixture screws to compensate for the E10 and the lean settings from the factory.

A motorcycle jack will lift them. A 2x8 fits between the headers and lifts it cleanly, but lots of us lift it by the headers. The headers are wider so more stable. Strap it down. I load mine a little back heavy and put a block under the rear tire to keep it from rocking much.

The 1200’s are work to naked-ize, but pretty nice. If the price was right, I wouldn’t hesitate on one. You can adapt an 1100 false tank to replace the 1200 tanks on the fairing models.

110’s are close, keep in mind carb rebuilds are more money and on the 1100’s and 84, 1200’s the ignition is in the rear and a bit of work to access should you need to.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

Welcome from St Louis.
Ericheath's answers are good info. I run regular unleaded in my 85 all the time and it does great. There isn't much clearance underneath for any more than the jack. Lowering the bike will cause it to scrape the pavement very easily. Cutting down the seat is a better idea but will be rough on the backside. Enjoy the ride.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Welcome to the site!

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
glider101
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by glider101 »

Thanks for the help. I can always strap some 2/4's to the bottom of my boots.....Bill

'84 GL1200I Interstate
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

glider101 wrote:Thanks for the help. I can always strap some 2/4's to the bottom of my boots.....Bill

'84 GL1200I Interstate
I bought taller boots lolol lolol lolol lolol
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

Welcome Bill!
ritalz wrote: ...Lowering the bike will cause it to scrape the pavement very easily...
I wholeheartedly agree with & support this statement. I have permanently damaged headers on one 1000 due to lowering it. they scrape almost every time I hit a dip or pothole while turning.
but it does look cool.

I like the 2x4 on the boot bottoms idea. replaceable, too.

I try to steer clear of any ethanol in a GL not only for potential internal gasket/hose damage but more for the issue of less bang/$$... ethanol has less BTU per volume than unleaded gasoline. if the goal is to get drunk, would it make sense to consume a gallon of 3.2 beer rather than a quart of 100 proof grain alcohol? the beer may be cheaper but it's not doing the job as efficiently.
please drink responsibly. :-D
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
glider101
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by glider101 »

Just to make sure I understand correctly if I use a 2x8 between the headers it will run under the engine block right?
Explorer
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Explorer »

I never understood people who thought they where too short?
You only ever need to put one foot on the ground at a time, even when you're stopped, one foot on the ground and the other foot on the back brake.
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

If you have to back the beast up, being able to use both feet without getting off the bike is beneficial. That said, I would cut the seat down to get a lower seat height;. Dragging hard parts through a corner is just as dangerous as it is expensive.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Explorer wrote:I never understood people who thought they where too short?
You only ever need to put one foot on the ground at a time, even when you're stopped, one foot on the ground and the other foot on the back brake.

I guess you've never had to stop on a spot where the road was lower on the LH side than it was on the RH side. It happens.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Yep. Being short sucks sometimes. Put your foot down and find nothing but air and you get that panic feeling real fast. I don't drop my bikes near as often as I did in the beginning but it still does happen. Unprepared surfaces are the worst. Outdoor events with field parking are often a recipe for failure esp when following another bike and they stop where you were not ready.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Cutting down the seat helps, especially on the sides of the seat. Unless you have really wide hip sockets, it’s difficult to get both legs down with the stock seat width. I cut at least an inch from each side tapering down to the edge of the seat. Not only does it help getting your feet down, it helps a lot with backing the bike up. Loose gravel or sand on the road is tricky if you let the bike lean much.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi