Leak from Top of Radiator

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

bigscheaf
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Leak from Top of Radiator

Post by bigscheaf »

Sidecar Bob wrote:Many years ago I replaced the rusted out original fender on my GL1000 with one from something else and the first time out I noticed trickles of coolant from where the bolts that attached the fender to the stay punctured the rad. I laid the rad flat on the bench and used a propane torch, flux and solid core solder to fix it like soldering copper pipes, then gave it a spray of black paint and put it back on the bike.

It worked fine for most of a year until a car turned left across my path and the front wheel went through the fender & rad and broke the timing belt covers...
That is a pretty impressive fix. I’ll have to keep that in mind if it’s punctured in a bit easier spot to work with, since I normally solder wiring rather than copper plumbing. Suppose I tag in my stepdad for that part.

Sounds like that was a bike ending accident, or at a minimum a complete rebuild of the front end.

So, not gonna lie, every time I see you name I think of Sideshow Bob from the Simpsons... my mind works in wonderfully strange ways.
1983 GL1100 viewtopic.php?f=16&t=67673#
1981 CB900F (Resto-mod Project)
1979 CB750F (Wiseco 823)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The bike was a write off but I bought the wreck and when I got it home I found out the motor was OK. A friend put me in touch with someone that had an '83 with a seized engine (it sat for 10 years - 6 outside - before he got it) so I went to see him, ended up putting my 1000 engine in it and driving it that way until I changed to an 1100 engine last year.

Soldering copper with a torch is easy once you learn the trick: Clean the area or the solder won't stick, use flux and put the heat where you want the solder to go.
BTW: Brazing is just like soldering except hotter.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
bigscheaf
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by bigscheaf »

And both bikes got to live on in a way. I always enjoy a story with a happy ending, especially with such circumstances. Hopefully you were fairly unscathed from the accident.

There’s always YouTube for picking up some of tricks of the trade I’ve never learned first hand. Might have to pickup an old radiator that has a leak or two to practice with. This spring is all about getting my 83 ‘Wing and - if I have time - 79 CF750F on the road again. Then maybe I can work on the CB900F a bit.

So many projects, so little time. And there’s the house/garage projects on top of that.
1979 CB750F (Wiseco 823)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I had a broken wrist. The accident happened about a 5 minute ambulance ride from the hospital that had the best surgeon for that in Ontario and a day later I went home with a couple piece of stainless steel screwed to the bones and a lightweight cast (he told me if he hadn't used the steel the whole arm would have had to be immobilized & supported) for 6 weeks, then 6 weeks of physio and back to work, starting out light & only an hour a day and working my way back to full time & effort over a month or so.

I know what you mean about house & garden projects. I am trying to wrap up a couple of indoor projects so I can do the stuff my 'Wing needs this year before it is time to plant the veg garden (only 7 weeks to planting).
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
bigscheaf
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by bigscheaf »

Sidecar Bob, that sounds like an absolute best case scenario with an accident like that. With all of the forums I’ve read, it seems like it’s the dreaded left turn that gets us. Part of the reason I prefer the backroads. I’ve been rather fortunate in my years of riding so far.

Trust me, with the number of projects I have around the house, bikes that I work on, and insane number of hours I work, I should probably clone myself... or get a job that pays me enough to have other people do the work. Wouldn’t that be something?
1979 CB750F (Wiseco 823)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

It was just about the best scenario. If the other driver's timing had been just a split second later I would have probably lost my left leg.

Oddly enough, a couple of weeks before it happened I had decided the GoldWing/Dnepr sidecar outfit that I had been driving for almost 4 winters was really too big for pushing out of snow banks and I should start thinking about getting something smaller & lighter. The next winter I was on a GS400 and had the makings of the 'Wing bagger I wanted for summer...
bigscheaf
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by bigscheaf »

Sidecar Bob wrote:It was just about the best scenario. If the other driver's timing had been just a split second later I would have probably lost my left leg.

Oddly enough, a couple of weeks before it happened I had decided the GoldWing/Dnepr sidecar outfit that I had been driving for almost 4 winters was really too big for pushing out of snow banks and I should start thinking about getting something smaller & lighter. The next winter I was on a GS400 and had the makings of the 'Wing bagger I wanted for summer...
Could have been much worse then. I'm glad the driver waited that split second.

I've never thought about doing a motorcycle with sidecar during the winter. Makes a lot more sense than just going out there on two wheels. How cold does it get in your neck of the woods? Not sure I'd want to do it here.
1979 CB750F (Wiseco 823)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I don't think it reached -30c/-22f here this winter but when I started biking in winter it wasn't uncommon to see -40 (same on both scales) several times each year. Basically, I dress like a snowmobiler (except that I wear insulated hunter's rubber boots - waterproof = windproof) so it has to be pretty cold out before it really bothers me.

I bought my first bike with the intention of adding a sidecar for winter use. At the time I worked with an expat Englishman that came from a less than wealthy town where if you were doing OK you could afford a used mini but most guys started on bikes and added sidecars for winter; I don't know if he understood what a real winter was like until he moved to Canada but he kept driving outfits in winter here. I figured if he could do it I could too and the rest is history.

A sidecar outfit is probably the safest vehicle on slippery roads. All there is between where you hang on and the wheel that does the steering is the suspension so you can feel exactly how slippery the surface under you is and can make adjustments before you get into trouble, unlike a car/truck with steering linkages & gears and power steering where you don't find out how slippery it is until you try to steer or brake... :shock: :shock: :shock:
bigscheaf
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by bigscheaf »

Not gonna lie, that’s pretty hardcore. It can get that cold here too, I just always figured the vintage Honda would be a little cold blooded for those temps. My Yukon despised being started when it was so cold I didn’t bother checking the temperature anymore. Now suiting up like a snowmobiler sounds like a good time. I went snowboling when it was about 20-25 degrees Fahrenheit and I was sweating to death.

I really want to try this out now. I love the idea of having that much feel while driving on icy roads. I have yet to find an affordable sidecar for sale around here. I guess the Sturgis state doesn’t believe in them?

If I ever ride up to Canada, I’ll have to grab a beer with you. You have some great stories. Also, I need to do a long trip sometime if I’m going to write my own Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
1979 CB750F (Wiseco 823)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I should forewarn you that another reason I was getting tired of driving the 'Wing in winter was that it was much harder to start when really cold than anything else I've had.

The CX/GL500/650 family of bikes are really much better for winter, smaller & lighter when you need to push it out of snow and it starts a lot easier in the cold (although there have been lots of days that I was glad of the extra cranking capacity from the U1 battery).

There are lots of sidecar dealers in South Dakota. In a couple of minutes on Google I found at least half a dozen (including a Ural dealer).
bigscheaf
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by bigscheaf »

I could see the CX/GL/500/650 family being better suited for wintertime usage. I don’t think my 79 CB750F would be well suited either, mainly because it’s still a little on the heavy side - although beautifully balanced. Also, I want to keep that a bit sportier.

You know what’s funny about the dealers list google turns up in my area? Not a single one of them even has a brochure in sight. I’m of the mindset that if they normally don’t sell them, it’s best to go somewhere else. The Black Hills area (Sturgis) I’m sure has some.

Now the aural looks like an interesting prospect. Power is a little underwhelming, but that’s not really their market.

Of course, anything sidecar related is mostly a pipe dream at this point in time. But on the upside, plenty of time to research possibilities.
1979 CB750F (Wiseco 823)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I wouldn't recommend anything with chain drive for winter. I learned early that if you put on a brand new chain & sprockets in the summer you will need new ones in the spring, even if you are religious about heaving the beast onto its centrestand and kneeling in the slush to wipe and re-lube the chain every time it snows...
bigscheaf
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by bigscheaf »

That makes way too much sense, but I never would have thought of it. It’s one of those things you normally have to find out the hard way.

Of course, finding a light bike with a driveshaft isn’t as easy since the cafe craze has hit every old Honda. Most of the ones I see for sale are either in pieces or questionably customized.
1979 CB750F (Wiseco 823)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Yeah. I have a short list if requirements for a winter machine:
- 500 Lb or less base bike weight (+ approx. 200-250 Lb of sidecar, fairing &c) to keep the weight reasonable for getting out of snowbanks.
- No chain drive. Shaft is good but the 650 Burgman's gear train in the swingarm sounds good too.
- Easy parts availability
- No wire spokes (they rust and break too easily)
- Cheap enough that I'll be able to accept what winter use will do to it.
And there isn't much that meets the list that is less than 30 years old.