C5 ignition

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: C5 ignition

Post by SnoBrdr »

CYBORG wrote:My c5 is on a 78. It is a complete system. Coil wires and triggers. I use. Plugs at .26 thousands. Pulesto the end of the tach numbers. I would look else are for the problem.
Same specs as mine.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Whiskerfish wrote:If you have all the parts the easiest thing to do is revert to points and see if the problem goes away.
I had a Hondaman ignition on it prior to this, and it pulled strong well past redline. The only reason I went with C5, was to quit having to fiddle with points to time it. This thing is dead simple to time. If I can just get it sorted out. I feel like I’m missing something somewhere. I just can’t figure it out.
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

socrace wrote:For something easy to check, I would try throwing a good quality timing light on it and see if spark is getting lost or advance scattering in that 5-6k rpm range you're seeing.
Also, could try contacting Power Arc Ignitions directly (they make the electronics). Among other things, these units have a programmable rev limit function, which could be coming in too early for whatever reason?
I’ve sent them an email today. I’ll see what they say.
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

“Paul at C5 recommended installing a 12 volt to 12 volt dc converter, which they provided. I’m beginning to think maybe this is the issue.”

Can you elaborate on this? Mine breaks up at 83-8500. Gary, at Powerarc, thought I might be going lean at that point. I’ve tried a few things to add fuel- same results.

I like it and it’s great with the 1200 heads because they should rev that high anyways. With the 1000 heads, I felt like there was more to be had. I’m googling your description now as I haven’t heard of this one.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

He said the converter would prevent voltage spikes, that could destroy the module. He also said I could run the entire system through the converter. My thinking is that the coils may not be getting the volts they need at higher rpm’s BECAUSE of the converter. That maybe I should just run the module itself through the converter, and wire the coils straight off the battery. It starts breaking up at around 5 grand, and by the time it hits 6, it’s at full break up. 6 grand is all she will do. Runs just fine up to that point. Plugs look like they are coloring up nice. Hard to really tell right now, cause I haven’t put very many miles on it.
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

I think I may have found what might be my problem. LOL. I googled C5 ignition with dc converter; and up popped a post from this forum! Hahaha. Seems that the input to the converter is not supposed to be switched. Only the output. I, of course, have the switch on the input side. Looks like it’s back to the drawing board first chance I get. Sure hope this is it. Gotta love it.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I may look into the regulator on mine. My bike runs higher voltage than most. It works fine for me because my LiFePo4 battery needs higher volts to stay fully charged. Six years now and it turns it over fast.

How expensive a unit did you install?

Perhaps one of the electronic experts could weigh in on how this could affect the unit. If the cpu needs a certain threshold of volts for its counter to work, higher voltage spikes could be the reason. If the count is off, the timing would be off as well.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

millerdog wrote:He said the converter would prevent voltage spikes, that could destroy the module. He also said I could run the entire system through the converter. My thinking is that the coils may not be getting the volts they need at higher rpm’s BECAUSE of the converter. That maybe I should just run the module itself through the converter, and wire the coils straight off the battery. It starts breaking up at around 5 grand, and by the time it hits 6, it’s at full break up. 6 grand is all she will do. Runs just fine up to that point. Plugs look like they are coloring up nice. Hard to really tell right now, cause I haven’t put very many miles on it.
You'd think that if the converter was necessary that he would contact those who had purchased the C% and inform them of this.

Knowing that there is an issue that would ruin the C5 and not passing it along, with instructions on how to prevent it is not only bad business but would leave him open to a lawsuit.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

His site has numerous warnings against voltage spikes and failure to prevent them can destroy the unit.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

ericheath wrote:His site has numerous warnings against voltage spikes and failure to prevent them can destroy the unit.
I just reread my install paperwork and there is NO mention of voltage spikes or that damage could occur caused by said spikes.

The only mention of damage is with regards to not using the supplied items or the wrong butt connectors.

Maybe this was added AFTER I purchased my unit.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I said his site has the warnings.

C5 has a lot of new info since I’ve looked.

http://www.c5ignitions.com/troubleshooting.html
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

ericheath wrote:I said his site has the warnings.

You're missing my point entirely.

Don't know if you are being intentionally obtuse or not.

I'm saying that I don't remember any such info when I purchased my unit.

If it was added afterward, I'm saying that they have a responsibility to contact owners if there is a known situation.

Like the government does with auto issues.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

SnoBrdr wrote:
ericheath wrote:I said his site has the warnings.

You're missing my point entirely.

Don't know if you are being intentionally obtuse or not.

I'm saying that I don't remember any such info when I purchased my unit.

If it was added afterward, I'm saying that they have a responsibility to contact owners if there is a known situation.

Like the government does with auto issues.
Tractors are included in their website's technical discussion, too?!
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

The unit I bought was over 600 dollars a. I yot the switch for the maps, and the converter, so, you’re looking at about 700. I’m gonna start from scratch, and rewrite the whole thing. I think I may have over complicated things with my wiring.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I watched the link in C5 website to anti-seize on spark plugs. Interesting. I use a small amount. I had no evidence of tracking but as I was buttoning things up, I decided to move my ground to a different location.

The bolt holding it was loose!! Moved it tightened it up and my idle is steady now. Still kicks a little at 83-8500, but that’s too much for a 1200 anyways.

I think I will see what my voltage shows with it revved up.

SnoBdr, I may be obtuse, but it wasn’t intentional. I’m not sure many average Joe mechanics could check for voltage spikes anyway. As much as I feel this is a good product, it’s unfortunate there is no warranty with it, but that is true of lots of electronics.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces