C5 ignition

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: C5 ignition

Post by millerdog »

I think it would be very difficult to actually detect a voltage spike. It would be a millisecond event, but more than likely destroy the unit. It’s a low voltage ignition, so it probably wouldn’t take much.
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
Explorer
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Explorer »

It's taken everything that my ham-fisted installation could throw at it!
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Explorer wrote:It's taken everything that my ham-fisted installation could throw at it!
LOLOLOL! So far, mine too!
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

millerdog wrote:I think it would be very difficult to actually detect a voltage spike. It would be a millisecond event, but more than likely destroy the unit. It’s a low voltage ignition, so it probably wouldn’t take much.
If the unit does not have voltage spike protection built in, it is a poorly designed unit.
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Most electronics have built in protections up to a range. Surpass the range and poof. I’m sure PowerArc and C5 have a range.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Well, an update. I rewired the entire system. I have power directly from the battery, through the converter to the coils. Only 31 hundredth of a volt loss. Well within specs. I have the module getting feed from one coil, with a 25 amp automobile rocker switch on the positive wire. Cranks right up, and runs flawlessly up to 6 grand. I have tried every possible position on the maps. Still no dice. I’ve tried every plug gap that there is. Still no go. At this level in the game, I’m gonna have to consider the fact that I’ve wasted my money. Never had this problem ever, until I installed this ignition. Carbs have been unnecessarily rebuilt also. I knew it wast the carbs, as it run fine before ignition install. I’m stumped. I would call Paul, but at this point, I feel it’s pointless. No pun intended. LOL. Oh well. Live and learn I guess.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I'm curious how much one would have to change on a bike to 'test' that unit's operation. I have a good running '76 with a new Dyna ignition, coils, and plug wires. What would it take to swap in the C5 and see what happens? Just a thought...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Explorer
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Explorer »

You're the first really unhappy camper that I've ever heard of, on all the major forums, in fact the worst I ever heard was "it don't seem any different from what I had before".

Someone mentioned before about the rev limiter being stuck somewhere in the software?

I'd call Paul and ask him if that's possible. The C5 is no rip off.
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

I just got off the phone with Paul. Great guy! He suggested running a jumper wire directly from the battery to the coils, essentially bypassing the converter. Something about not enough amps to the coils. If that doesn’t work, he said to eliminate the converter all together. He said if I burned up a coil, he would replace it. Standup guy!
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

That seems odd. For all intents and purposes, surges and spikes won't bother the coils. It's the ignition module I'd be worried about. (Especially if I splashed 5 or 600 bucks for it). I'm surprised he's concerned about the coils...

As for the DC to DC converter, there are far simpler ways to squelch DC transients. At the most basic level, a good old fashioned zener diode can even do the trick.
Last edited by desertrefugee on Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Explorer wrote:You're the first really unhappy camper that I've ever heard of, on all the major forums, in fact the worst I ever heard was "it don't seem any different from what I had before".

Someone mentioned before about the rev limiter being stuck somewhere in the software?

I'd call Paul and ask him if that's possible. The C5 is no rip off.

LOL. I’m the first I’ve heard of too. Every one I’ve spoke with, or any posts I’ve ever seen on it, nobody is running a converter. Which leads me to believe that is the trouble in the equation. And, you make a good point. That’s exactly what it feels like. And sounds like too. Like it’s hit a rev limiter. Paul said worst case scenario, I can send it back, and he would check it for me, and send a video of it actually being used. Real nice guy. I’d like to have a cold one with him, and pick his brains. Very knowledgeable!
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

desertrefugee wrote:That seems odd. For all intents and purposes, surges and spikes won't bother the coils. It's the ignition module I'd be worried about. (Especially if I splashed 5 or 600 bucks for it). I'm surprised he's concerned about the coils...
I don’t think he’s that concerned about damaging the coils. It’s definitely for protection of the module. He just had me wire everything through the converter for preventative measures I think. He said it was mostly for old British bikes and tractors. Evidently the charging systems on those were not the most reliable, and prone to voltage spikes.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I remember one or two people who felt it was overrated. Curious to see how the bypass goes.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Explorer
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Explorer »

He said it was mostly for old British bikes and tractors. Evidently the charging systems on those were not the most reliable, and prone to voltage spikes.

Hmm! I remember those. Old Joe Lucas, Prince of darkness!!
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Dad's 1945 2N tractor has a "3rd" brush generator and that is how you adjust the voltage out of it. On the outside of the case you loosen up a locking screw and slide the brush up or down to tweak the output. It throws so many spikes a Digital Multi meter will not work on it. It just flat out refuses to give a reading. You have to use a analog meter to set it up. From his FB posts I know Paul does a lot of performance work with old Tractors so I "suspect" that may be where this comes from.
I have never seen anything near that on a Wing and really doubt it is an issue.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!