Gl1100 more power

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

CYBORG

Re: Gl1100 more power

Post by CYBORG »

77Gowing wrote:I believe in dreaming too. That said, one must be aware of the laws of nature and physics.
Generally you can't dream your way around them. You're going to fall wether you believe in gravity or not.
I agree with Robin...first principles gentlemen.
A boat in a 1/4 mile is still a boat.
A run on the salt is a different race.
This does not appear to be a real thought, but a dream. A tilting of windmills. A dream by any other name is a fantasy . It can be what gets you through the night when the wind is cold, and the light at the end of the tunnel is a train. In the racing world, "it is hard to beat cubic dollars". But if you do,...….well,...some dreams can come true lolol
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

Thinking more on this.....
I guess that anything they are doing on VW drag cars could be done to a GL1100.
(just add cubic dollars)
Nitrous, Turbos, etc:
bug1.jpg
bug1.jpg (10.23 KiB) Viewed 154 times
bug2.jpg
bug2.jpg (92.36 KiB) Viewed 154 times
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

dontwantapickle wrote:Thinking more on this.....
I guess that anything they are doing on VW drag cars could be done to a GL1100.
(just add cubic dollars)
Nitrous, Turbos, etc:
bug1.jpg
bug2.jpg
Ahhh,...you understand lolol lolol
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Oh geez good point, I got to admit it pickle, I’ve seen more than a few good old boys with big-inch V8s get embarrassed by VWs at the drag strip...and I’m talking about straight up. But it’s not cheap.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

77Gowing wrote: I agree with Robin...first principles gentlemen.
A boat in a 1/4 mile is still a boat.
A run on the salt is a different race.
Of course it's a boat and definitely wouldn't be my bike of choice if I wanted the quickest bike out there but in bracket racing which is no doubt what the OP would be competing in, having the quickest bike isn't essential, being consistent is which means you can literally compete with what ever you want even if it is a boat. The OP did say he wanted to drag race for fun right? So why not a GL1100? He can keep it stock or modify it which ever way his wallet will allow. Years ago I took my stock 77 cb750 to a local drag strip, it was the slowest bike out there but that didn't stop me from having a blast.
desertrefugee wrote:
One more comment… I’ve owned 3 Vmaxes, two basically stock and one modified considerably. I don’t think there’s anything that could be done by a reasonably sane person to make a GL1000/1100/1200 run with a Vmax - stock or otherwise.
I should've used more emoji's to indicate my humor when I made the V-max comment.
Scott
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

CYBORG wrote: This does not appear to be a real thought, but a dream. A tilting of windmills. A dream by any other name is a fantasy . It can be what gets you through the night when the wind is cold, and the light at the end of the tunnel is a train. In the racing world, "it is hard to beat cubic dollars". But if you do,...….well,...some dreams can come true lolol
With unlimited cubic dollars I can see and concur a fella can have a blast in the challenge and press the end of the envelope for sure.
I was not putting down the 1100 by. Reference ing it as a boat. Basically I was saying mass is mass, but by all means have fun striving for your dreams. It was just a thought or a tilt by admitted ly one who has no experience racing MC. Guilty as charged. Well said Cyborg.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Essentially any dream is possible with enough money, but the larger the dream requires a proportialy larger amount of money.

And there's a life metaphor in there somewhere....
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

I'm with Robin, although I too would love to be proved wrong. Bracket racing is in all reality your best bet and probably the way to have good fun.
There are no factory or aftermarket speed parts ; never were. OEM pistons are unobtainable as are many bearing shells.
One-off pistons, supercharger and a touch of nitrous, with a good ignition system, is probably your best bet if you insist on getting more power. I have a couple of good cranks I can put by to replace your broken ones!
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
hybrid455
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by hybrid455 »

I've done some small time drag racing in my day. Never had a lot of money and had to make do with whatever I could dream up. I think that is where drag racing has its roots and looking back on it that is where I found the most satisfaction from it. It challenged me as a technician. So it wasn't about being the fastest for me it was about the challenge of going faster. I still have my 66 Chevy short wide equipped with an Olds 455 auto and a 9 inch. Hence my forum name, Hybrid455. First you need some mechanical expertise. You need to be willing to try things and sometimes the things you try will be a disappointment. Its a lot more fun with help because racing means many late nights in the garage. You need access to a shop, tools and equipment. To go faster you need to cut weight, increase power,improve traction and your ability as a rider. Reaction time, shift points and many other things you may not think about are everything. There are lots of things you can do to go faster for free BUT if you want to be the fastest the awesome Z1 900 won't even get it done in today's world. Trust me, once you get the bug you are going to want to win and you'll reach a pinnacle where you cannot make the 1100 go fast enough. You will have learned a lot for the next one though and everyone starts somewhere.(assuming you are a beginner)
Projects
75 GL1000
77 GL1000
1976 GL1000A Sulfur Yellow Clone - complete
1976 GL1000 LTD - complete