1983 GLA wiring ??

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Xzowing
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

1983 GLA wiring ??

Post by Xzowing »

Got a 1983 Gl1100A , building a bobber out of it . Any reason why the wiring harness from an 82 1100 would not work on the 83? Somewhere down the line somebody has chopped the wiring harness up pretty good , even tho it was running when I bought it a year ago . I have completely restored but in the form of bobber..... xzo
Earl43P
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: 1983 GLA wiring ??

Post by Earl43P »

Two differences as I recall....82 speedo has a red or amber light for rear air pressure low, the 83 speedo uses that spot for a red light to indicate 5th gear Overdrive, using a different neutral switch under the transmission cover than the 82 (neutral only).

83 has no requirement to keep air in the rear shocks. There is a module at the rear of the bike on the 82 that drives that air shock low light. You won’t be needing that at all, so don’t worry about that loose connector.

Both years had self canceling turn signals should you like to keep that feature. Speedo has a sensor in it, along with the steering head angle sensor and an electromagnetic hammer in the left handlebar Control. I believe there is another module for that, but I can’t recall it’s location.

There’s also an onboard air compressor to decide about.
KTM390A “Hootinanny”
04 ST1300 DDDD (Double darksided daily driver) Sold 4/2022
93 GL1500I Double darksided and SOLD 3/29/20.
99 Valkyrie IS, Fast Black Double Darksided
"Fishtailed, flipped and flung me, but wearing it well". Sold!
82 GL1100 retired DD, needs work.... Sold 3/3/17