Question for GL1000 owners with points ign

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Question for GL1000 owners with points ign

Post by JSBail »

I've never set points on a GL1000 but I see a lot of threads here where the owners seem to have issues with setting the timing on them. To my limited knowledge the 2 OEM points suppliers for the 1000's were TEC (Toyo) and Kokusan which it seems neither are available anymore unless you find them NOS leaving only the aftermarket reproduction points to choose from. My question is are the GL1000's just as much of a hassle setting the timing when using genuine TEC or Kokusan points as they are with the current aftermarket points that are available?

The reason I ask is because say with my cb750 the 2 OEM points suppliers were either Hitachi or TEC, the Hitachis haven't been available for some time leaving a cb750 owner either TEC or the cheaper aftermarket points made by Daiichi and it's pretty much accepted belief that if you want to stick with a points ign and want your 750 (or any of the smaller baby 4's for that matter) to run its best then insist on the genuine TEC points. The cheaper and more available Daiichi points can be made to work well if you are persistent but for the most part are much harder to set correctly compared to genuine TEC points and their condensors are notorious for being junk even when new. That's where I'm seeing an eerie similarity because I can't help but wonder that being GL1000 owners have to settle with the aftermarket points that the issues they're having setting both timing and point gap are the same as inline 4 owners are having when using non OEM points. Any thoughts on this?
Scott
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Question for GL1000 owners with points ign

Post by Whiskerfish »

If you can find them I like to order the plate assembly. They come with the points installed from the factory but are getting hard to find. 30200-371-004
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

Whiskerfish wrote:If you can find them I like to order the plate assembly. They come with the points installed from the factory but are getting hard to find. 30200-371-004
I did a quick search on your part # and after seeing the cost of it I can understand why some GL1000 owners are opting for electronic. Don't feel bad, A genuine TEC points plate assembly for a cb750 is similarly priced as well.
Scott
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

I think the price jumped when the Factory stopped manufacturing them a year or so back. Used to be like 50 bucks. Now that the supply has shut off they have jumped.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!