1975 gl1000 regulator questions

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

wajulia
Tin Member
Tin Member

1975 gl1000 regulator questions

Post by wajulia »

I had a problem with my ride not starting a few days ago due to a dead battery. Started checking the charging circuit and found the regulator is supplying about 15.5 volts. That seems way to high. I put an oscilliscope on the battery and the rectification seems to be working fine. I unplug the regulator and the voltage goes up to almost 18v. Plugged in it is 15.5.

This is to high right? Time for a new regulator? I see used ones on ebay and also see the combined rectifier/regulators. I would lie to keep the original configuration. But that means buying a used regulator. Thoughts on how to proceed?
2004 GL1800 Goldwing
2004 Honda Shadow ACE
1975 GL1000
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: 1975 gl1000 regulator questions

Post by ericheath »

A fair amount of over-charging on early Wings is due to the sense wire (black wire@ regulator) running up through several connections before it gets to the regulator. If each connection has a little resistance, by the time it gets to the regulator it can easily be a volt low. Old wiring begets resistance. The regulator then does its job and charges based on the info sent, hence a volt high.

Quite a few of us have cut the black wire and used the side coming from all the connections as a trigger for a relay which connects through a fused wire straight to the battery.

Since the jr high electrical teacher threw D cell batteries at me and threatened me regularly with his trusty three-foot, half inch, dowel adjusting club, take this with a grain of salt while someone else chimes in to confirm or correct me.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

As Eric suggests, 15+ volts is too high. I believe you could do a simple test by bypassing the sense wire, then making the change permanent if it tests okay...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
wajulia
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by wajulia »

I jumpered the black wire to the battery positive terminal through a 5a fuse. 14.5 volts!!. Thanks! This site is the best!
2004 GL1800 Goldwing
2004 Honda Shadow ACE
1975 GL1000
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

As I understand it, the current through the sense wire is virtually nothing. It is fairly common on CX500forum to just connect it directly to the battery.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....