ethanol use

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

ifm61
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

ethanol use

Post by ifm61 »

i've followed Randakk's advice whenever i can/need to, but this one caught my eye...
Use regular unleaded gasoline only. Premium fuel is not necessary or required. Don’t use octane boosters or lead replacement additives either. The GL1000 has hardened valve seats that are quite happy without lead.
i was always of the opinion that 91 as the one to go for? i appreciate this is as contentious an issue as 'which oil/tyres etc' but just curious
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: ethanol use

Post by Track T 2411 »

In a nutshell, higher octane fuel has a higher ignition temperature and burns 'slower' to counteract the issues associated with old school high compression engines. The wing engines don't need it, and it can actually cause excessive valve and combustion chamber deposits. Check out Mike Nixon's Spot in the Guru's forum for a couple of more in-depth threads concerning octane, fuel additives, etc...
FWIW, I run fresh, good quality ethanol (10% or less) in my bikes all the time with no issues. I also try to run through at least a tank full of fuel a week, and use Stabil when I think I won't be riding for a while... my 2 cents.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Track T is pointing you to read articles like this one from Mike Nixon. tumb2

https://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/octane.html
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

High octane is to prevent pre-ignition "ping" in high-compression engines like some BMWs and HDs. The GL1000s are not high-compression, and you should use regular gasoline ~87 octane. The high octane fuels will only result in more carbon build-up. Ethanol is avoided due to fuel system problems from to moisture attraction. Ethanol to 10% works Ok in fuel injected engines although it has a much shorter storage life. I personally buy 3 five-gallon cans of regular non-ethanol gas and treat them to manufacture's specs with Stabil. This is for all of my carureted engines - garden tractors, UTV, chain saw, string trimmer, lawn mower, leaf blower and 2 GL1000s. The GL1800 uses 10% ethanol with no problem as it gets ridden enough to prevent stale fuel problems. None of my engines are high-compression.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Its not contentious. There is a lot of misunderstanding on just what regular, mid-grade and premium actually are. Octane rating has nothing to do with power or available power from gasoline. Octane is a measure of fuel's anti-knock properties. (look it up). If you have a low compression engine than the grade of gasoline you need is 87. It is formulated to prevent pre-ignition or knock in these types of engines like the GL engines. If you have a high compression engine like found in Harley's and BMW's then you need premium grade fuel for its slower burn and higher resistance to engine knock. If you are using premium in a low compression engine you are actually likely to lose a little horsepower because the fuel will not burn as fast as the engine was designed for. Additionally, Ethanol is a great anti-knock additive because it slows the ignition rate of gasoline. Its the most environmentally friendly anti-knock additive as it does not pollute, or at least pollutes very little. Anti-knock compounds added to unleaded gasoline that does not include Ethanol are far more hazardous to the environment. For this reason alone you won't ever see gasoline/Ethanol blends disappear from the market until every vehicle on the road is electric.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
jml74
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by jml74 »

I haven't done a deep dive into the technicalities of it all, but this is my understanding:

- Premium is only necessary for high compression engines (I believe anything higher than 9:1) and the manufacturer will make it clear. You're wasting your money if it's not specifically required by the manufacturer (or if you change head gasket, squish, etc.).
- Midrange should only be used if you have problems with knock on 87 octane. Again, you're wasting your money otherwise.
- Unless you have a specific reason for premium or midrange, use 87. On my '80 GL1100, the spec sticker says 91 ROM, which is a European (I think) measure. It equates to 87 (R+M)/2 used in the states, or maybe slightly lower.

None of this has anything to do with ethanol, BTW. Unless you're riding frequently, ethanol will turn the inside of your carb into sludge quickly. I've started going to the trouble of keeping a 5-gallon VP jug of 87 octane ethanol-free in the garage for my bikes. You can also get Sta-Bil and the like that are supposed to help counteract the effects of ethanol, but I've never used it.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

The other negative that I see with ethanol is that it reduces mpg. So the ethanol burns cleaner as mentioned above, but if you lose 10% mpg, you’re going to burn 10% more fuel, negating the perceived environmental savings. When I checked tank by tank comparisons, I would see about a 7% drop in mileage in my Buick, 3800.

If we could bump the compression up, it would burn the ethanol more efficiently.

From what they’re saying today about oil reserves, I would guess we’re a long ways from pure ethanol.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ifm61
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by ifm61 »

right then. regular gas from here on in. thanks to all who replied !
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I don't remember the last time I saw regular gasoline without ethanol for sale around here. Since I retired it often takes me more than a month to use up a tank of fuel (longer if I fill the tank on the sidecar too) and it hasn't "turned the insides of my carbs into sludge" yet. In fact, on the rare occasions when I have my carbs open they look a lot cleaner than the ones I see pictures of on the forums so it would seem to be quite the opposite.

Some claim that the ethanol has a negative effect on the rubber but I say that if someone is designing & selling a motor for use in a place where E10 fuel is common (= most of the world these days) they should take that into account.
The same goes for people selling carb kits for engines that were made before E10 was common; I can't say about any other suppliers but I know that Randakk has made every effort to do that and to stand by any of his products that may have had ethanol related problems.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....