Oil questions

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

jhusman
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Oil questions

Post by jhusman »

I'm looking to do an opil change on my 79, and I was wondering if there was a consensus on the best weight/brand of oil. The mechanic that got the bike going says that I can use auto oil in the bike, but I wanted to get the experienced perspective. Discussions?
BLACKGOLD
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/BLACKGOLD/

Post by BLACKGOLD »

There has been quite a lot of discussion on this. Consensus seems split, though. most of us use automotive oil. the dissention is whether or not to use synthetic or mineral based oil. I use 10w40 mineral based, and have had no issues with it. I guess it depends on what you want to spend. Synthetic is 2-3 times as much as reg. oil.
Mike

Elvira-1980 GL1100 Custom
Black Betty-2000 HD Electra Glide

"we are on the cutting edge of cocking about" -Richard Hammond
Zryder
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/zryder/

Post by Zryder »

Yes I've used the Castrol GTX 10-40 auto oil for the last four seasons . As blackGold says with no issues of any kind . :P
1982 GL 1100 std. Custom Image
To my album ; http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/zryder/
Bandanna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Bandanna »

personal choice there i would say gents.......................

i have used both,and the only difference i have found,was the price!!

and as i will service every 3 months,then synthetic proves expensive..........

safe riding..............all
YOU ARE WHAT YOU RIDE......THAT MAKES ME AN ANGEL????
Frenchy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/frenchy1

Post by Frenchy »

I get a gallon of 10W-40 from mother Honda. :-D
Frenchy
dwag
Lead Member
Lead Member

Oil

Post by dwag »

Just changed oil in 82 GL1100, used Valvoline 30wt
KLACKO
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by KLACKO »

Avoid 'energy conserving' oils. These blends can cause transmission problems for older bike, as they inhibit the friction properties of the clutch plates. Rotella oil by Shell has been suggested to me by folks whose opinion I have high regard for. It's readily available (in the US, anyway) at WalMart, and is reasonably priced, too.

Synthetics can create problems, too. I've heard of people having trouble with synthetic getting past the engine gaskets and weeping out.
...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....
-H.S. Thompson
1978 GL1000
1993 BMW K75
1981 KZ440 LTD
2001 Suzuki DR650SE
banzaiwing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by banzaiwing »

It's been made quite clear, especially in the last two years, that MOST automotive oils contain too many friction modifers that will cause slippage in motorcycle wet clutches. The problem is probobly exaggerated at higher horsepower levels but why not heed the advise of many industry professionals..........use motorcycle specific oil. Conventioal oils start around $2/qt. Whether you use synthetic should depend ONLY on your budget, if you can afford it, BUY IT. As well as unleashing more horsepower(around .8%), synthetics have been proven to flow(especially at low tempratures) and provide better heat and wear protection than conventional oils. The molecule sizes are more uniform, and let's face it, the bottles look cooler ;).
One of the motorcycle magazines did a good writeup on oils about 12-18 months ago, I'll see if I can find the article in my collection.

The gasket leakage problem WAS a reality in the late '70s. Mainly due to the oil cleaning off accumulated gunk that was plugging leaks in the cork and paper gaskets used in cars of that era and then seeping out. Today, most paper and all rubber gaskets aren't affected by synthetic.

I used to run Mobil1 MX4T @ $8/qt. Now that Allison has become more readily available I use thier synthetic 10w/40 @ $6.50/qt. available locally @ Murry's Discount Auto

My .02

Banzai !!!!!!!!!
Wrench'n on a Wing with a prayer