Carb question

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Carb question

Post by tlbranth »

Well dang. They're upping their inventory. I'd be leery of the float needles but they might be good. I think you should test them :-D
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

And there's also this set of 10 plugs from Italy for 10.90 Euros / about $15 U.S. if you're willing to wait a week for them; and the site's in English, too:

https://www.officine08.com/p70187_pilot ... 10pcs.html

I'm not averse to buying the Randakk kit; of course I want the best parts possible in my carb, because that IS the heart of the bike - if it's not rebuilt right the bike won't run right; I'm just curious as to what makes it THEE Best kit to buy at $150 when with a little effort all the other parts in that kit are available online, made of the same materials and measurements but at a fraction of the cost...? Convenience, maybe? I honestly don't know. Right now I'm not sure which way I'm going, whether it's Randakk or parts-only. FWIW, though, the cost of ALL the O-rings combined for all four carbs on the NewMotorcycleParts site comes to about $72 and change, including the bowl gaskets.

The slow air jet fix I intend to try, since the guy at Jets R Us says he doesn't have the original-size / discontinued Honda slow air jet with the smaller orifice, but they do have a great selection of Mikuni, Keihin and other jets - its interesting to look around in - Keihin needles, too!
https://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carbu ... ection.htm

tlbranth, have you actually made the carb-to-plenum gasket with buna string, and if so how did it turn out? What size was the string, and the associated O-rings? Did it work?
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

Dr. Frankenstein wrote: tlbranth, have you actually made the carb-to-plenum gasket with buna string, and if so how did it turn out? What size was the string, and the associated O-rings? Did it work?
No I haven't made one. But it seems viable if the right sized parts were available.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

I've made lots of other o-rings out of Buna-N chord. Including the big brake reservoir to MC o-ring. Might building one on my next carb job, but need those tall gaskets for the carb-to-plenum fuel passage seal.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

Yo Doc: The Randakk kit is good albeit overpriced. Randakk's video is VERY good and also overpriced. See if you can borrow it from a member (like I did). All this said, buy Randall's kit and buy, or borrow his video. Do an incredibly thorough job on the rebuild and you'll be tickety-boo. I say do a thorough job because if you have to take the stuff apart again you'll find that viton doesn't really want you to. At least that was my experience.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

Well everything is overpriced these days; that's just good business sense - therein lies the profit margin for any product, I get that. This is my first 'Wing to work on, though, and I'm struck by just how similar to a car it is to work on.

I hear you on doing a thorough job - this past summer I tried setting the float height of my Virago 700 Hitachi carbs on the bench as per the manual and that thing just Would Not seal off the needle and seat without overflowing. I thought it was a speck of dirt in there somewhere, a misjudged float height, bad needle and seat, air pressure against the carb, it was a weekday - I just didn't know why. That carb was surgically clean and I went though Everything at least five times over the course of about two weeks trying to get a float height set on the bench, even to the point of speaking directly with motorcycle author Mark Zimmerman and Hitachi carb expert Mike Belluomo, and we all agreed on our opinions of Virago Hitachi carbs.

Through a lot of frustrating trial and error, it turns out you CAN"T set the float height on those carbs on the bench - as per the Manual, they have to be IN the bike and the bike RUNNING to set and/or check the float height, but the manual doesn't state why specifically. What we eventually figured out was that the floats find their level with the flow of gasoline as it moves THROUGH the carbs, which the manual fails to mention. Turn the bike Off, the floats rise and shut off the flow, and it doesn't leak. But you can't set the floats for that bike/carb on the bench without it overflowing, I'm still not exactly sure why. All you can do is set them at 19mm and wing it! So Yes, the devil is in the details, as they say.

Where can you find Buna-N cord? Does it come in different sizes? and FWIW I believe I saw those tall O-rings pidjones mentioned on the NewMotorcycleParts site as well. Google 'square sealing cord' and lots of sites pop up too.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

:horse:
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

https://www.theoringstore.com/store/

They have o-ring cord, metric o-rings and JIS o-rings

The web site isn't real easy to navigate. In the advanced search box type
jis buna-n 70
and you'll see a ton of jis o-rings.
Last edited by tlbranth on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

I think that I bought chord from an ebay vendor (I've been using the lot for a while). You use one of the super glues to join it. I use a single-edge razor blade to cut it at a 45 degree angle if making a joined seal (I wouldn't use it for anything less than 1.5" diameter - buy o-rings for that). I cut it a bit long, fit up, and trim down to fit, then glue.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped