'78 GL1000 Carburetor Air Leak

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Stealth126
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

'78 GL1000 Carburetor Air Leak

Post by Stealth126 »

I just leak tested my rebuilt carburetor the way Randakk does in his video. Fuel and air systems hold great. Are there other places that may develop leaks that are not covered in the video? When I put the carbs on the bike it runs okay, but it idles at about 1400 rpms and can't be adjusted any lower. Is there anything else to check or do I have to look elsewhere? One other thing to mention is that the left side head gasket needs to be replaced. I'm working on that now, but I'm just wondering if there's anything else to check before I put the carbs back on. Thanks in advance.
phillip0123
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: '78 GL1000 Carburetor Air Leak

Post by phillip0123 »

I would check the throttle cable to be sure there is free play and not hanging up.
Phil
79 GL1000
93 GSX1100
09 nomad 1700
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

You might also check the clamps on the intake runners, as well as the sync adjustment screws...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Stealth126
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Stealth126 »

The throttle cables were off the bike for replacement, so we can rule that one out. The clamps were tightened when I put it on the bike, but I did notice they weren't tight any more when I took them off. Must be when they heated up from running they softened up a bit. Turned the screwdriver 3 times on each one before I would have considered them tight. Could that have been my problem?
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Yes. Most of us check them a few times after their hot. They will tighten up a little more each time they warm up.

Synchronization could help bring your idle down.

Just posted on your other thread on head gasket. Doing just one side, it’s important to write down which way you turn the crank to move pistons off TDC so you can do the opposite to bring the timing back to where it should be. It will keep the opposite valves in the correct location.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi