GL1500 Ignition/Timing w/o ECM

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

jtspott
Lead Member
Lead Member

GL1500 Ignition/Timing w/o ECM

Post by jtspott »

Good Morning All,

I have a 1992 GL1500 Interstate that I acquired after it had been wrecked. To make a long story short the main damage was to the plastics and my thoughts were to strip this beast down to the bare minimum and see what I wound up with in the end. Sooo....... before doing any research and assuming that the ignition (timing) was going to be "standard" I have the entire harness off the bike and went to build back up when I realized that I might have just bit off more than I was planing on. Is there a way to easily get spark to the plugs without the ECM? I don't want all the sensors and safeties, and wasn't even planning on going out of the way to keep reverse. I just want the motor running sooner than later. Thanks in advance for your help with my dilemna
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: GL1500 Ignition/Timing w/o ECM

Post by 05c50 »

Although the GL1500 wiring is not nearly as complicated as the GL1800 and other modern bikes, it still uses many inputs to the ecm to make the engine run. The ecm uses inputs from the pulse generators to control the coils so they will need to be connected. You will also need to make provisions to control the fuel pump as well as bypass the ignition kill switch and side stand switch. There's probably a couple other inputs also. Probably easier to plug everything back in to the harness.

......Paul
I prefer to ride my wing naked,thank you
My wife asked me "How many bikes does one man need?" My answer "Uhhh.just one more"
75 Goldwing
78 Goldwing
77 CB750a
77 CB550f
80 CB650c
05 Boule C50
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I’d start with the 1500 schematic/wire running list, mark it up and make some decisions based on that analysis. Might make the difference between scrapping the old harness or deciding to keep it.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

I would take a look at the schematic as dr suggested and see if the ECM inputs could be faked by supplying +12v or ground here and there. Then just use the ignition end of it. I'm OK with electrics but throw my hands up when it comes to electronics. But it might be possible to deduce what the ECM wants to see.
My friend put a modern Subaru engine into a '72 VW bus. He used the Subaru harness and faked all the stuff the VW couldn't provide. It's doable I'd say.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
Chipsnsit
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Chipsnsit »

I have a 1990 GL1500 that i just got all the plastics off of and have no plans to put back. very interested in your project as i did basically the same thing to this point.