Overtorqued Muffler Mounting Threads

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

kjmarti2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Overtorqued Muffler Mounting Threads

Post by kjmarti2 »

Well guys, I really did it this time. I'll describe the hardware in detail even though I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.

On the GL1000 there's 4 nuts securing the dual muffler to the frame via the underside of the passenger pegs. These nuts fasten to 4 threaded pegs attached directly to the muffler itself. In removing my exhaust tonight to give it a little TLC, 3 of the 4 nuts torqued off the threaded pegs on the muffler. 1 with ease.

I'm a little stunned here and worried that I just ruined my original exhaust. The only thing I can think of to do is grind down to the surface and have a welder reattach another set of pegs. Doesn't seem like a slam dunk though because they're so skinny it would be difficult to get enough material in there to support the exhaust's weight.

Any ideas here? Interested to hear what y'all would do in this situation.

- Kyle
Yellow 1976 GL1000 - "The Phoenix"
1976 GL1000 LTD
2002 CB900F 919
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Overtorqued Muffler Mounting Threads

Post by ericheath »

A good welder will be able to do that. If he needs to add a base, you can probably slot the hole (upper part of triangular piece) that mounts to the bike to make up for it.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Overtorqued Muffler Mounting Threads

Post by Whiskerfish »

Yea I think any decent machinist should be able to fix you up. Me I would probably grind down what is left of the studs then drill them out then weld new ones in there. Might be better if you have a handful of replacement matching bolts with you when you drop it off. Save him time and you money while he is hunting for the right size and pitch metric threads. He can just cut off the heads and use the studs.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!