Engine Gasket Kit

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

UltraRunner
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Engine Gasket Kit

Post by UltraRunner »

So, I know the general recommendation is to get OEM head gaskets. But.... I will need a number of gaskets, and this kit is available for $127. Seems like a good value - if they are of decent quality and do their job.

Has anyone had any experience with this kit? Not even sure who the manufacturer is- a bit of a red flag by itself. Sold by the same guy on Ebay and Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Rebuild-K ... B071J5XFD1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Rebuild ... Sw-4RaaR8s

Thanks.
'77 GL 1000 - sold, sad to see it go
'80 GL1100 that is garage decor.
'81 GL1100 that I finally put on a table to work on.
'94 BMW R1100RS Very fun bike.
'04 BMW K1200GT Haven't spent any time on it yet.
'07 FLHX - I'm in love with this bike. My daily driver.
IBA # 66429
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: Engine Gasket Kit

Post by Track T 2411 »

4Into1 is a reputable company, so that's a positive. I did recently use a similar (if not the same) kit for an 1100, and the overall quality seems good. The head gaskets look fine, as do the other paper gaskets. (Several members here have used aftermarket head gaskets with no issues.) There are some negatives, however. There's no guide for the o-rings, so you'll have to measure them to figure out where they go. I found that several o-rings for the water pump/transmission cover were too small, and wouldn't stay in place or couldn't be installed at all, and I ended up ordering those OEM. My 2 cents? If I NEEDED all the gaskets, I'd probably buy the kit with the understanding that I'd be supplementing it with OEM parts. If I'm just doing the water pump and heads, I would use OEM head gaskets and the water pump specific aftermarket kit, or OEM through out.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Engine Gasket Kit

Post by flyin900 »

That kit has everything but the kitchen sink included. If your only needing a few items then that is overkill in my opinion. I have never used OEM and had good success with aftermarket head gaskets, yet I always have the head decked to ensure it is flat when I do a head job.
I have used a fellow in Poland called Klassen Racing if I recall and his gaskets and kits have been good and are the best price vs other EBay sellers. He also sells the head gaskets alone and possibly a complete kit.
As Track noted sometimes a combination of OEM and aftermarket can offer a good solution.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.