No Power to Starter

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

kjmarti2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: No Power to Starter

Post by kjmarti2 »

low-side wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you probably have some connections incorrect. Lighting shouldn't be connected to the ignition. I'd go through your connections again using a wiring diagram as reference and clean the connections along the way. Did you ever get into the rats nest in the headlight bucket?
No problem. Lighting has to be connected to the ignition switch somehow, because the lights come on when the key is turned. Right? I'm saying that for a brief period of time on Monday evening, the lights wouldn't come on when the ignition switch was turned on with the key. Now they're working again which I can't explain.

The bike last ran in mid-February, and although I've done tons of work since then I haven't touched anything electrical except what was required to remove the engine. I double-checked that all of those connectors were hooked up correctly last night. I'll recheck the sub-wiring harness connector to make sure it's not dirty or something this evening. It very well could be because I did a lot of work with it just lying on the engine.

I did dive into the wiring behind the headlight late last year when I was installing a new gauge cluster, but the bike has run normally since then. I haven't gone through them again, but I'm installing new meter cushions soon so I'll take the opportunity to double-check those connectors then.
Yellow 1976 GL1000 - "The Phoenix"
1976 GL1000 LTD
2002 CB900F 919
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

kjmarti2 wrote:
robin1731 wrote:"Got the lights working again, one of the connectors at the ballast resistor came unplugged."

That should have nothing to do with the lights.

Have you confirmed the engine will turn over? Check it by turning it over by hand? Or even pull the starter motor to make sure it turns without a load? These won't fix your switch issues but will eliminate a couple "possible" issues.

Man, without that I can't explain how my ignition switch suddenly turns the lights on again. Hmm. Engine definitely turns over by hand, did plenty of that while I was changing my belts. I am planning to pull the starter motor for inspection. I guess the horn still doesn't work either which can't be explained by the starter, so there must be something else going on too.

Battery + directly to starter post does nothing. Starter will not spin the engine at all. I'll check the voltage there compared to ground to see if it's a connection issue. I figured by testing the lead resistance and getting a click when connected to the battery would exonerate the relay, but it sounds like that's not enough. I should say, the corrosion on the relay is not on the leads but on the cylinder housing itself.

That is why I said "These won't fix your switch issues but will eliminate a couple "possible" issues."

Now, you did confirm the engine turns over by hand since you have been having the starter issues also correct?

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

>>>>>>>>>>>>since then I haven't touched anything electrical except what was required to remove the engine.<<<<<<<<<<<<

The ground cable has to be removed to pull the engine.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
kjmarti2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by kjmarti2 »

robin1731 wrote:
kjmarti2 wrote:
robin1731 wrote:"Got the lights working again, one of the connectors at the ballast resistor came unplugged."

That should have nothing to do with the lights.

Have you confirmed the engine will turn over? Check it by turning it over by hand? Or even pull the starter motor to make sure it turns without a load? These won't fix your switch issues but will eliminate a couple "possible" issues.

Man, without that I can't explain how my ignition switch suddenly turns the lights on again. Hmm. Engine definitely turns over by hand, did plenty of that while I was changing my belts. I am planning to pull the starter motor for inspection. I guess the horn still doesn't work either which can't be explained by the starter, so there must be something else going on too.

Battery + directly to starter post does nothing. Starter will not spin the engine at all. I'll check the voltage there compared to ground to see if it's a connection issue. I figured by testing the lead resistance and getting a click when connected to the battery would exonerate the relay, but it sounds like that's not enough. I should say, the corrosion on the relay is not on the leads but on the cylinder housing itself.

That is why I said "These won't fix your switch issues but will eliminate a couple "possible" issues."

Now, you did confirm the engine turns over by hand since you have been having the starter issues also correct?

Yessir, just went out and verified it via the stator bolt. Engine is turning over normally by hand.

Pid, the ground cable I believe is what goes from the negative battery terminal to the long engine hanger bolt behind the left triangle bracket. That was re-installed in the correct position if we're talking about the same thing.

Going to get my battery checked out this afternoon, so I'll have a definitive answer on that before I get started on it again this evening.
1976 GL1000 LTD
2002 CB900F 919
kjmarti2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by kjmarti2 »

Napa know-how confirms the battery is good. I was also able to get the starter to crank with an applied voltage, just cleaned up the peg a bit. I tested the solenoid switch contacts while battery voltage was being applied to the primary leads. There's a small, but nonzero (0.1-0.3 ohms) resistance so that could be it since the shop manual says there should be no resistance. Feels like it's either the solenoid is bad or I have a bad connection somewhere. Will be taking a more thorough look at every connector I can find, even those I didn't directly work on recently.
1976 GL1000 LTD
2002 CB900F 919
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

If the starter cranks by jumping from the battery to the starter post, the issue is almost surely in the ignition switch, solenoid/relay, one or both of the positive battery cables, the switch to relay wiring, or some combination there of... oh, and the starter button itself...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

The light power runs up to the starter switch, where a separate set of contacts open when you push the button, interrupting power flow to the lights while cranking. This switch sounds flaky.
If you don't have a good wiring diagram and a meter, this will take a while. You need to walk through every connection with a plan.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

EDIT! disregard this question.
I went back a few posts and gather that you were successful to operate the starter motor, afterall, by applying + current to the dirty peg. < your term.

Hmmmmm. The problem was realized immediately after reinstalling the repaired engine back into the frame. Hmmmm.

When you removed the engine, did you utilize 2 wrenches to loosen the nut which captures the positive cable to the starter motor? When the positive cable was reattached to the starter motor did you utilize 2 wrenches, too?
If not, there's a possibility that the wire attached to the inner end of that positive stud may have twisted and is broken off internally.
What do you think?
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

gltriker wrote:EDIT! disregard this question.
I went back a few posts and gather that you were successful to operate the starter motor, afterall, by applying + current to the dirty peg. < your term.

Hmmmmm. The problem was realized immediately after reinstalling the repaired engine back into the frame. Hmmmm.

When you removed the engine, did you utilize 2 wrenches to loosen the nut which captures the positive cable to the starter motor? When the positive cable was reattached to the starter motor did you utilize 2 wrenches, too?
If not, there's a possibility that the wire attached to the inner end of that positive stud may have twisted and is broken off internally.
What do you think?
Since it worked when applying current directly to the peg/stud it pretty rules that out. ;)

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

robin1731 wrote:[quote="gltriker"]EDIT! disregard this question.

What do you think?
Since it worked when applying current directly to the peg/stud it pretty rules that out. ;)

.[/quote]

Agreed! tumb2
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.