Fuel Pump Diaphragm Hardness?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Fuel Pump Diaphragm Hardness?

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

Does anybody happen to know the Shore hardness of the rubber OEM GL1000 fuel pump diaphragms? I was thinking about trying to rebuild one with some 1/32" Buna-N rubber sheeting, but don't want it to be too hard...maybe 40A? What would be a good hardness?

Here's comparison chart off the O-Ring Store website:

"Durometer Shore A scale is a type of measurement for rubber material hardness. The rubber durometer chart below gives you an idea of the rubber hardness that you want for your application. Generally, most rubber materials fall under the rubber durometer scale of Shore A. If you need a rubber or O-ring durometer that feels like a running shoe sole, review our rubber hardness chart below, then pick Shore 70A. A rubber durometer of Shore 70A is the most commonly chosen material hardness for all applications.
Duro 20A = Rubber Band
Duro 40A = Pencil Eraser
Duro 60A = Car Tire Tread
Duro 70A* = Running Shoe Sole
Duro 80A = Leather Belt
Duro 100A = Shopping Cart Wheel
*Most common durometer"
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Fuel Pump Diaphragm Hardness?

Post by gltriker »

Last edited by gltriker on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah; easy IF you have a drill press and a lathe. I was just going to grind off the retainer rings and sketch out another one; maybe get a fine drill bit and run a pin or clip through the centering pin to keep it all in place. I want to replace the diaphragm, not the whole spring and lever. Has anybody else tried it?
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Important to use fabric reinforced nitrile (buna-n) rubber and NOT Viton. Many are enamored with Viton, but it is not as mechanically strong against multiple flex as nitrile. We investigated this at work on diaphragm pumps for helium. The manufacure strongly advised against Viton because of this. We had investigated Viton due to its ozone resistance only.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm currently searching, but do you know anybody who offers fabric reinforced Buna-N sheets in 1/32" thick? That measurement also works out to .035", or .94 mm (the OEM measured diaphragm thickness), which is pretty close to 1mm, which I'll probably try - I just have to Find some first!
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:I'm currently searching, but do you know anybody who offers fabric reinforced Buna-N sheets in 1/32" thick? That measurement also works out to .035", or .94 mm (the OEM measured diaphragm thickness), which is pretty close to 1mm, which I'll probably try - I just have to Find some first!
Did you notice this specific detail in the ShopTalk link I directed you to in post #2?

"6: Get a sheet of diaphragm material. I used "GOSS HANDI-GASKET GP12 Diaphragm sheet - Nitrile, Fabric reinforced" It's around 1mm thick. Trace the old shape onto the new sheet and cut it out."

;)
Last edited by gltriker on Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Explorer
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Explorer »

Or if your existing pump really is toast, you could always wire in an electric pump, there are places to mount it. A lot of people have had success going down that road.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I figured using something that was made to be used as a fuel pump diaphragm would be the best bet so I did some online searching and found one that could be modified, then used Peteybug's method to rebuild it
viewtopic.php?p=269684#p269684
It was still working perfectly last summer, 9 years later so I guess it was successful. And the same part I used is still available for the same price.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Sidecar Bob, that's an awesome write up! Thanks for pointing out that Marxparts gasket!

gltriker the same for your post as well! How much and size was a sheet of the Goss handigasket, and how thick is it? I measured the original at 1mm (1/32", or .99mm), and I *guessing a hardness of 70...? How important is that hardness, to let the pump rubber flex...? A durometer of 70 seems to 'industry standard.'

Amazon has a sheet of 1/32" (.99mm) Buna-N rubber for $6 - might that work too? Ideally I'd like to find a 12"X12" sheet of reinforced Buna-N rubber to play around with, but so far all I can find is the just 'Buna-N sheet." Is that the same stuff?