New problems... Starter not working/ died on me

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

PhoenixKen
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: New problems... Starter not working/ died on me

Post by PhoenixKen »

robin1731 wrote:So there is no confusion the starter clutch is behind/part of the alternator rotor. It is a one way clutch. Also called a sprague clutch. All mounted inside the rear engine case cover. Look at it here. https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oempar ... rter-motor

Yes I know it's inside the case, hence the horrifying thoughts of having to pull the motor. I don't think thats my issue now though. The starter only spins when rocking backwards in gear and if it's a one way clutch then it should catch the other way and spin when rolled backwards in gear. So it's not stuck as I had thought... Just don't get why after bench testing the starter I put on the bike, off a parts motor, it still wouldn't crank even with the plugs out. Motor is not locked up and I put a brand new battery in it with full voltage passing through solenoid to starter. I'm scratching my head on this one but startet rebuild kit came in so I'm going to re-rebuild the starter that came on the bike that I just rebuilt 6 months ago... Going to polish up the end of the armature that the brushes contact with some ultra fine sand paper to try to prevent any undue wear to these new brushes. Hopefully I'm not far off from riding it again ... Sad to say but I miss my ugly old pumpkin of a bike... :(
1987 interstate in sunburst orange.
PhoenixKen
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by PhoenixKen »

Ok found a spot in the copper windings where it appears to have been grounding so I've pulled the windings and going to wrap a few sections with Cambridge tape to ensure its not grounding. I've smoothed out the armature end that contacts the brushes with ultra fine sand paper, taking as little as possible off (may need new armature soon) it still has pitted spots in it but doesn't have any "catches" when I spin it in my fingers. Robin thanks for all the info you have given me, didn't mean any bad tone in the last reply but after reading it I thought it kind of come off that way just clarifying. I do greatly appreciate all the help and information you have given me since I've joined the forum. Frustrating night at work followed by neighbor running chainsaws nextdoor so can't sleep and trying to wrap my head around all this going on with my wing. Contemplating if the countless hours of labor I've put into it are even worth it anymore...
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Grounding - as in hitting the stator? Not Good! I leaned up an commutator by chucking in my lathe and polishing up to 2000 grit, then carefully cleaning the gap between contacts with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol. Cranks great after that and a new solenoid.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
PhoenixKen
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by PhoenixKen »

pidjones wrote:Grounding - as in hitting the stator? Not Good! I leaned up an commutator by chucking in my lathe and polishing up to 2000 grit, then carefully cleaning the gap between contacts with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol. Cranks great after that and a new solenoid.

I should've taken pictures, it was grounding underneath one of the copper windings around one of the magnets inside the starter housing and also where it goes through the circular piece that holds the brushes around the armature. Taped up the spots it was grounding at and put new brushes in it and went for a 100 mile ride today bo problems... No idea's why it died out on me a few weeks ago and have a bad feeling I still have a lingering issue that just isn't acting up right now. Also no ideas why this other startet wouldn't even attempt to crank the motor??? :?: it works on the bench but wouldn't spin the motor even with plugs out...
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

What kind of tape did you use? The only kind that I can think of that would take any use is Kapton.
1976 Yamaha RD400c
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
PhoenixKen
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by PhoenixKen »

I'm sorry autocorrect was changing it on me and I didn't realize, I used cambric tape. It's electrical tape and appears that thats what it was wrapped in already.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

PhoenixKen wrote:I'm sorry autocorrect was changing it on me and I didn't realize, I used cambric tape. It's electrical tape and appears that thats what it was wrapped in already.
Sounds correct for it. I would probably add a little varnish to keep it in place. You might check to see if you have a nearby automotive electrical shop (starter/alternator rebuild). They could check your other starter and repair. I've even had boat starters repaired for great savings.
1976 Yamaha RD400c
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped