It's Coming Along...

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

CYBORG

Re: It's Coming Along...

Post by CYBORG »

I'm also a firm believer in a loud horn, and I'm not afraid to use them. Air horns in my case action1
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

I don't remember where I read it, but a rider somewhere supposedly hooked up a separate 12-volt system on his bike to be able to charge a diesel train horn - a great idea, I thought. CYBORG, was that you??

I too have had a few close calls with idiots that looked Right at me as I was riding, so I always keep my head on a swivel. I always keep on eye on their wheels if I'm approaching an intersection.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Not me. But I hve VERY loud air horns. As a matter of fact, I have a set of truck air horns that have an air tank that goes with them. Pretty large, so I'm saving them for my motor home.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Dr. Frankenstein wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:45 am Yes, I see a lot of those in there - I was surprised to find out those blue clips are 'factory'...seems kind of like a cheap way to do it, but in retrospect I guess it is...

So remove all the blue clips from the fairing wires, and then it's just color-to-color...? I do have a Clymers wiring schematic to guide me, and I have rewired a '78 KZ650 before, but I've noticed some of the wires in the fairing connector don't correspond to the main wiring harness and I really don't want to fry anything...

Case in point, my headlight works - I bench-tested it - but connected to the harness right now, as-is, it doesn't come on; and the two front turn signals I have hooked up are constantly On; they DO blink (along with that buzzer) - but are they supposed to be constantly on?

Any other rewiring tips are greatly appreciated...
When you say factory, in this case I believe the blue clips are from the Vetter "factory", not OEM for sure. I took my Vetter 9 pin connector off by removing the cheap clips, cut each wire one by one and butt spliced soldered then back together via the butt splice method shown in shop talk. Each wire butt splice was shrink tubed btw. Also, in shop talk there are "ColorFied" wire diagrams posted by one of our very fine members in PDF.

As for how the wires are put in the headlight bucket, I just carefully stuffed mine into the bucket 4 yrs ago & Bob's your Uncle.

And lastly, with the headlight and wires hanging the ground is attached to the bucket. If the bucket is not attached to the bucket ears on the frame, then you have a floating ground and your head lamp wont light. While testing my lights with the bucket loose, I used an alligator test lead to connect the bucket ground to the chassis.
And as said before, "Bob's your Uncle".

Best of luck!
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

No, the bucket is attached to the ears, and the inside ground is attached...I have yet to get out there and clean the fuse connectors, so maybe that could be it - cleaning fuse connections is, like, "Motorcycle 101", y'know..? I just haven't gotten there yet - I still have yet to ask Bob about his lineage...;)
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

your bucket mounting bolts and inside bucket is very rusty from your pics. Remove the ground stakon connector and clean via wire brush or emery cloth and then replace. Remove the bucket mounting bolts and clean the ears and the bolt and the outside of the bucket to make good ground contact. And by all means, clean your fuse connections.
Note: the ground does not pass through a fuse and your problem is most likley the loss of ground. The circuit gets completed by current returning to ground. If normal ground is corrupted, (high resistance due to galvanic corrosion), a different path of lesser resistance is taken often other light filiments if possible. Likley your ground resistance has gone infinite (discontinuity or what is called open circuit).
Ask me how I know, or how I can in five minutes demonstrate the correct response and then produce the same phenomenon where the ground is lost.
40 ys in instrumentation in an engineering lab situation taught me one or two things. Found the same problem on my 77 Gl1000. Tested the problem, tested the solution. Now all is well.
Best of luck, I hope you solve your problem, & I am most confident you will.
God speed!
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

"We'll try *That...!" :)

Hopefully that'll be it...