Dyna install

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

swampguide1
Tin Member
Tin Member

Dyna install

Post by swampguide1 »

Still no pictures on the Octane Dyna install.Which would not be as big a deal if i had'nt started my Dyna and coil install the day they went down
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Dyna install

Post by Whiskerfish »

This is the one for setting the timing. it might help.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5720#p44990

Octanes album associated with the install post is here: https://ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/ ... e/album111 Unfortunately I do not know when I will get to reloading those pics in his thread
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Octane’s writeup is excellent and will definitely get you up & running. I would add that once you have things setup that you go back and remove the left cam belt cover, install a degree wheel (randakk sells one that makes things pretty easy, cheaply made but works 100%) and do the timing dynamically with a timing light.

As several have commented that setting the timing staticly as in Octanes write-up tends to over advance the timing, does it make a big difference ? Probably not ! But for me, my opinion is that things seem to run better when set dynamically, a big plus is that using the degree wheel allows you a more precise setup picture particularly for the balance between the 2 cylinder sets. It’s the only way I do my bikes anymore. But again, if you simply follow Octanes write-up you can’t go wrong but imho doing it dynamically gives a smoother running bike. My .02
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
swampguide1
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by swampguide1 »

Thanks guys.This will all help
swampguide1
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by swampguide1 »

so still having fun here. On Octanes excellent install post he refers to the removal of the cam ;sleeve as tricky. After two days of trying to get it off can anyone tell me what the trick is?
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

I am assuming you have the advance mechanism off of the bike at this point. First, with one hand, spread both weights to the max and carefully pry the cam off using a small screwdriver with the other hand. On some, it is easier to remove the weights by removing the E-Clips and sliding off the weights. If you do this, be careful not to loose the tiny, thin shims. The earliest wings had a pin on the shaft so you will need to grind/cut this off with a Dremel tool if you have one.
swampguide1
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by swampguide1 »

Cedrick if I ever make it through all this it will only be because of your more than generous mentoring. got it off and the Dyna mounted. Onwards and upwards