Engine failure. Bike won't start

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Magikarp
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Engine failure. Bike won't start

Post by Magikarp »

So. I bought a 1989 salvage goldwing and I got it running and I'm very excited. I think there's a small knock in the left head but it's small. It only runs on a full choke and idles at ~800rpm with a half choke. But I digress.

My problem is this: I removed all the fairings from the goldwing. I want to strip it naked. But it won't start now. I can't even hear power to the fuel pump. I would appreciate any advice from anyone out there.
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Engine failure. Bike won't start

Post by BlueThunder »

You must have removed the either the power or ground to the pump. You will have trace power/ground to the pump and run/re-wire. Run power/ground directly to the pump and see what happens. You will need to do the same with the ignition circuit and/or coils.
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 05c50 »

More information please. Will the engine crank? If so, check for power and ground at the fuel pump while cranking. If no power, check for spark while cranking. Report back
I prefer to ride my wing naked,thank you
My wife asked me "How many bikes does one man need?" My answer "Uhhh.just one more"
75 Goldwing
78 Goldwing
77 CB750a
77 CB550f
80 CB650c
05 Boule C50
hoganJr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hoganJr »

Magikarp wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:15 pm So. I bought a 1989 salvage goldwing and I got it running and I'm very excited. I think there's a small knock in the left head but it's small. It only runs on a full choke and idles at ~800rpm with a half choke. But I digress.

My problem is this: I removed all the fairings from the goldwing. I want to strip it naked. But it won't start now. I can't even hear power to the fuel pump. I would appreciate any advice from anyone out there.
If it's a 1989 then it's a 1500 and while the folks on this website are among the smartest and friendliest people on the internet they specialize in the 4cylinder wings. My advice: 1. Search this website for 1500. You'll see several threads where people have succeeded spectacularly in "nakedizing" a 1500. And a few where they tried kinda hard and apparently gave up. 2. Buy or download a Clymer manual, shop manual, and electrical manual. 3. Take digital pics at every step as you disassemble anything on this motorcycle.
HoganJr
1991 GL1500