Electrical Troubleshooting ‘79 GL1000

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

MattMcCoy
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Electrical Troubleshooting ‘79 GL1000

Post by MattMcCoy »

Have a couple of small electrical issues that I’m still reading up on, but wanted to get a conversation going as well. I’m working on a ‘79 GL1000. It’s been retired for a number of years, but it was maintained very well and put up properly. I have a new AGM battery, changed belts, fluids, filters, and checked continuity on the fuses so far. Starts, runs, and stops — so much fun to ride! My two issues:

-Yellow wires (soldered) from stator get very hot. Charging system is weak and volts don’t seem to increase on battery over 3000rpm.

-I do not have gauge/tank lights.

Points have been replaced with electronic ignition, and updated rectifier/regulator, and I cleaned contacts on fuse panel. I hope to check engine mount ground, stator wires at the regulator/rectifier, and the brown/white wire to clusters today.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

-Matt
Last edited by MattMcCoy on Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1977 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000

“I see Angels on Ariels in leather and chrome,
Swoopin' down from Heaven to carry me home."
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Electrical Troubleshooting ‘79 GL1000

Post by gltriker »

MattMcCoy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:18 pm Have a couple of small electrical issues that I’m still reading up on, but wanted to get a conversation going as well. I’m working on a ‘79 GL1000. It’s been retired for a number of years, but it was maintained very well and put up properly. I have a new AGM battery, changed belts, fluids, filters, and checked continuity on the fuses so far. Starts, runs, and stops — so much fun to ride! My two issues:

-Yellow wires (soldered) from stator get very hot. Charging system is weak and volts don’t seem to increase on battery over 3000rpm.

-I do not have gauge/tank lights.

Points have been replaced with digital ignition, and updated rectifier/regulator, and I cleaned contacts on fuse panel. I hope to check engine mount ground, stator wires at the regulator/rectifier, and the brown/white wire to clusters today.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

-Matt
Here's some charging system trouble shooting information.

https://www.randakksblog.com/comprehens ... eshooting/

Tell me about the updated rectifier / regulator. Where did you buy it and what information do you have about the unit?
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Heat is caused by excessive resistance, which is often caused by corrosion, and it can be a never-ending cycle. I would suggest a close inspection and cleaning of the yellow wires' terminals at the regulator/ rectifier plug, as well as considering redoing the soldering job. You can also reinstall a proper plug aft that location. I have one bike that required cutting out several inches of the yellow wires in each direction from the plug due to corrosion. It can be a PITA soldering those wires down in the frame, lol!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

If they are soldered properly they will get warm but I don't think they should be hot. Makes me think maybe your rectifier / regulator is not working properly and drawing too much current. Are all 3 equally hot? Might be worth cutting them and doing the Alternating Current output check to double check the stator output. If that is good then I would definitely look at the rectifier next

Yes to what Track said. I have added extensions to several without issue.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
MattMcCoy
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by MattMcCoy »

Thanks for the advice. The reg/rec doesn’t have any markings on it, so I’m not sure of the brand. When I disconnected its harness, I see corrosion/discoloration on all three yellow wire terminals from the stator, so I’ll clean those up and pack with dielectric grease. Resistance testing on all three wires show 0.07 ohms, have continuity, and are not grounded. I think that might mean the stator is OK.
1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1977 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000

pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

MattMcCoy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:49 pm Thanks for the advice. The reg/rec doesn’t have any markings on it, so I’m not sure of the brand. When I disconnected its harness, I see corrosion/discoloration on all three yellow wire terminals from the stator, so I’ll clean those up and pack with dielectric grease. Resistance testing on all three wires show 0.07 ohms, have continuity, and are not grounded. I think that might mean the stator is OK.
Could be. Great if it is! Use a much better high-current connector, or solder and shrink wrap. They live where not only road and atmospheric moisture gets on them, but near the battery vent (very corrosive fumes). I had the regulator fail full output on my '79, and replaced it with a cheap Chinese reg/rect. Just provide the sense from the old regulator connection. I also replaced the old analog voltmeter with a digital (put it in the same case) so I can keep an eye on it now.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
MattMcCoy
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by MattMcCoy »

Whiskerfish wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:19 pm If they are soldered properly they will get warm but I don't think they should be hot. Makes me think maybe your rectifier / regulator is not working properly and drawing too much current. Are all 3 equally hot? Might be worth cutting them and doing the Alternating Current output check to double check the stator output. If that is good then I would definitely look at the rectifier next

Yes to what Track said. I have added extensions to several without issue.
I’ll do the AC test on the stator today and then test the rec/reg unit. This bike was maintained well and the wiring is great. It’s a joy to work on.
1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1977 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000

441Victor
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by 441Victor »

On my 77 , I chased the 3 wire gremlins for months . Yes , I had eliminated the 3 wire plug and soldered them nice and neat .
One night , I was kneeling on the floor to hook up a charger and i spotted a bit of tape unrolling on the wiring harness , directly above the 3 wire joint . This is partly hidden by a vertical frame tube. So I un wrapped a section of this harness to discover another set of 3 crimp on wire splices . These looked like factory splices :
partly transparent . Trouble is that one of them was broken and melted to a charred mess.
That means that the PO thought he fixed the problem , but it was actually hidden about 4" farther up the frame .
I keep this blob on my desk for show n tell . I have never confirmed if this splice was factory , or some previous repair had replaced the plug assembly by splicing it in further up .
hope this helps
Bob
60 Yamaha, 68 BSA 441 , 66 BSA 650 Lightning ,72 CB500, 77 GL1000,87 Aspencade
MattMcCoy
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by MattMcCoy »

Thanks for the advice. Stator seems to check out. I cleaned everything up, but all three yellow wires still get very hot and volts don’t seem to increase much over 3,000 rpm. I did a diode test on the rec/reg, which it didn’t pass, so I think I have my culprit. I haven’t figured out why I don’t have gauge lights yet.
1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1977 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

If it didn't pass your test, that should be the problem. The comment was made that heat results from high resistance, which is true. As current flowing through a particular resistance rises, heat rises. Conductors have a given resistance per unit of length, so if the yellow wires are getting hot along their length, that means that the current flowing through them is very high: not much regulation. Actually, it sounds like a completely shorted regulator.
MattMcCoy
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by MattMcCoy »

Appreciate it. The stator is reading ~0.8Ω, however spec is 1-2Ω. I read anything above that and the stator needs to be replaced, but no mention of what lower resistance could mean.
1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1977 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

You really want to do the A/C check. It can be a bit tricky and a extra set of hands is helpful. Read A/C voltage from 1 yellow wire to each other then the next one etc. Looking for 50-55 Volts A/C. Be careful not to allow them to touch the frame or each other.
1984 GL1200 Standard

MattMcCoy
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by MattMcCoy »

Got an extra set of hands to help test AC output from the stator. Here are the results on each pair of legs @ 3,000 RPM.

A to B ~20 VAC
A to C ~20 VAC
B to C ~5 VAC

There are three separate splices between the stator and the harness that connects to the reg/rec, so I guess I’ll cut upstream and rule out bad connections, but it looks like the stator will need to be replaced after all.
1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1977 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

Yea that is not great. i forgot to mention that you want to be at about 3,000 rpm and have those wires disconnected from the rest of the charging system. If those were not done I would do so before calling the stator bad.
1984 GL1200 Standard

MattMcCoy
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by MattMcCoy »

Appreciate it. The AC test was done at 3,000 RPM and the reg/rec removed, but there are three splices on all three yellow wires between the stator and the reg/rec harness, where I took my measurements. The connections look great and are well done, but I’ll do my due diligence and rule those out for age failure. I connected a spare reg/rec from an ‘83 1100 to test, but was getting over 15 VDC on the battery, so I removed it.

Checked the brown/white wire, which seems to control gauge/tank lights. I’m not even getting 1 VDC from it on the distribution block, fuse box, or attached harnesses. Looking at the schematic, it seems there are two connections at the ignition, so I’ll check those, and one at the turn signal control.
1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1977 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000