No Spark 75 GL1000

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: No Spark 75 GL1000

Post by Cakey »

So I checked the ballast resistor and it’s come back at 03 ohms, which according to Randakk is spot on. I had another look at my Honda Service Manual about the diodes. It’s the 75 - 79 manual so some things are a bit different. It shows 4 diodes of which I have the first two on my bike and according to the colours my faulty one is the Ignition Bypass. No idea what that means, but it’s definitely related to ignition I think?? Maybe the source of my woes.... are the OZ bikes different to the USA bikes with the wiring?
Attachments
3A53079D-88C5-4C73-B344-34836BDFA560.jpeg
3A53079D-88C5-4C73-B344-34836BDFA560.jpeg (301.65 KiB) Viewed 230 times
1975 Gl1000
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

OK apparently I remembered wrong. :roll: :roll: :roll: lolol lolol lolol

The bypass circuit is to bypass the ballast resistor when starting to provide full voltage to the coils for a hotter spark. Once the starter button is released the ballast resistor goes back into the circuit to reduce the voltage to the coils.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

Whiskerfish wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:13 am OK apparently I remembered wrong. :roll: :roll: :roll: lolol lolol lolol

The bypass circuit is to bypass the ballast resistor when starting to provide full voltage to the coils for a hotter spark. Once the starter button is released the ballast resistor goes back into the circuit to reduce the voltage to the coils.
So my problem might be the silicone diode?
1975 Gl1000
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

My Gut says no. BUT I really do not know for certain. I have never heard of this being a cause for a no spark situation. At worst I think if the diode were bad the system would not bypass the Ballast resistor when the start circuit is energized. So it should have spark just not as strong as the normal start sequence.

There is a diagram here that I made years back that may help you understand https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 69#p667397

And Roncar wrote up a nice description of the Start side and how the diode works there but no mention of the Ignition side. https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 21#p135721
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Cakey wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:57 am So I checked the ballast resistor and it’s come back at 03 ohms, which according to Randakk is spot on. I had another look at my Honda Service Manual about the diodes. It’s the 75 - 79 manual so some things are a bit different. It shows 4 diodes of which I have the first two on my bike and according to the colours my faulty one is the Ignition Bypass. No idea what that means, but it’s definitely related to ignition I think?? Maybe the source of my woes.... are the OZ bikes different to the USA bikes with the wiring?
Your OZ 1975 GL1000 must not have the Reserve Lighting System as an OEM safety feature?
If I am correct, 2 of the 4 diodes are integral with the auxiliary operation of the Reserve Lighting System.

I sorta remember some fellow member has or knows of a source for a European spec. GL1000 wiring diagram.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
AussieGold
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by AussieGold »

gltriker wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:50 pm
Cakey wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:57 am So I checked the ballast resistor and it’s come back at 03 ohms, which according to Randakk is spot on. I had another look at my Honda Service Manual about the diodes. It’s the 75 - 79 manual so some things are a bit different. It shows 4 diodes of which I have the first two on my bike and according to the colours my faulty one is the Ignition Bypass. No idea what that means, but it’s definitely related to ignition I think?? Maybe the source of my woes.... are the OZ bikes different to the USA bikes with the wiring?
Your OZ 1975 GL1000 must not have the Reserve Lighting System as an OEM safety feature?
If I am correct, 2 of the 4 diodes are integral with the auxiliary operation of the Reserve Lighting System.

I sorta remember some fellow member has or knows of a source for a European spec. GL1000 wiring diagram.
Cakey.
i have a colour coded wiring diagram , for AU models. I have emailed it to you.. AU models do not have the reserve lighting module.
there are several other differences to the US model re wiring.
but , if the problem is no spark, the first thing to check will be power to the coils.
from memory,
red wire from battery to ignition switch.
black wire from ignition switch to ballast.
black/brown wire from ballast to kill switch on handle bar.
black/white from kill switch to coils.

diodes allow power to run one way , but i doubt they are your problem. one on AU model is for the clutch switch
override , the other for start circuit. if your bike is turning over i doubt there is a problem there.
as mentioned , the ballast resistor is bypassed when the start button is pushed.
a simple test to see if the ballast is faulty, is to unplug it both ends and connect the two wires together.
Mentor to all self appointed (and genuine) GURUS.

An LTD is........it just is.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Cakey wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:39 am
Whiskerfish wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:05 am I have not looked in a while but I do not recall the Ignition circuit going through the Diodes? The Starter circuit yes for the safety interlocks.

You have a dyna right? So first check power for the dyna. On the 75's most people used those blue scotch locks to tap power from the turn signal wire under the left side shelter. Once you verify you have power for the dyna then verify power for the coils. I would do that at the Ballast resister.

Ignition circuit power comes out of the Key switch then to the Kill switch and start button but I do not think it goes through the diodes????
Thanks Whiskerfish. Dyna has power at the red wire. I have ordered another diode today in Australia, from a motorcycle wreckers who had one on a Honda XL175 (same diode). Is there a reference somewhere on how to test the ballast resistor on the GL1000? New to me.
I vaguely remember a Topic started a year or two ago that may have been a little like this one. The engine would crank over, but not start. No spark.
The thread had a lot of discussion. Finally, a member offered up the suggestion to check the 3 multiple wires connectors on the front left corner of the shelter frame. Just to the left of the fuse box.
As I recall that offering member said he found a questionable connection in one of those connectors on his GL1000.

The suggestion he had offered up, actually turned out to be the solution! tumb2

While you are waiting for the diode, in the meantime, this is another area to proactively consider inspecting, too. ;)
Last edited by gltriker on Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Aussiegold's UK/Aus wiring drawing is also available through the link in my signature AND the Shop Talk section of the forum.

As has been mentioned, one of the diodes is for the clutch/neutral interlock system (the drawing below is not exactly the same as in the 1000 but it works the same way) and the other is part of the circuit that bypasses the ballast resistor while the Start button is pressed. Neither of them should prevent the ignition system from producing sparks.

The first question that needs to be asked is how are you checking for spark? Plugging the spark plugs into the cables and laying them against the rocker cover won't work on these engines because the rocker covers are insulated from ground by the rubber seals...

Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

Sidecar Bob's illustration shows the neutral diode's function very well: isolates the neutral switch ground path of the starter solenoid from the clutch switch ground path. If it wasn't in there, the neutral lamp would light every time you pulled the clutch. Which come to think of it, would be an easy way to check for a shorted diode.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The light coming on when you pull the clutch lever is a classic sign of a shorted diode.
Diodes can also fail in open circuit mode; When that happens it won't start in neutral unless you squeeze the clutch lever.

But neither of those failure modes would prevent the spark from occurring.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

So I’m lost.

Power to red wire on Dyna
Bypassed the ballast resistor by joining the wires
Replaced the diode
I have connected the plug with alligator clips to earth and no spark at all.

I did replace my handgrips, and was wondering if this could do something to the kill switch. Is there a way to check of the kill switch is stuck on? Any help appreciated
1975 Gl1000
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The kill switch disconnects the coils from power. You should have voltage on the black/white wire at the coils when the kill switch is set to Run.
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

Sidecar Bob wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:47 pm The kill switch disconnects the coils from power. You should have voltage on the black/white wire at the coils when the kill switch is set to Run.
So turn power on, set kill switch to run and check for power at the black and white wire to coil?
1975 Gl1000
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

I’ve got no power to the black and white wire in any of the positions. Can I bypass it to get it running?
1975 Gl1000
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

You could connect a temporary jumper between the black/white and a black wire but I would only do that as a last resort.

Are you sure that the wires that previously connected to the ends of the resistor are solidly connected to each other? The solid black one is switched power (live when the key is ON) and the one with the stripe takes power to the kill switch so if they aren't connected well that could prevent power from getting to the kill switch.