Carb care for hibernating Goldwings

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Saltspringer
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Carb care for hibernating Goldwings

Post by Saltspringer »

A friend of mine, who had a 1975 GL1000 in Germany, shared this tip with me for Goldwing carb care during a winter layover.

Wolfgang was tired of dealing with carbs that, despite all his best efforts at draining and cossetting, always seemed to have carb issues each Spring, just when he wanted to get out riding. His solution was to drain the gas tank and add a splash of gas stabilizer, disconnect the fuel pump output pipe, slip over a extra section of clear plastic pipe, drain the carbs of gas, tighten up the float bowl drain bolts again, and then carefully pour ATF transmission fluid down the extended fuel line, until all four carbs were completely full and would no longer take any fluid.

I have just recommissioned my GL1000 after a year and a half in the back of the garage, and stored it using this method.

When it came to riding again, I opened up the float drain bolts and let the ATF run out. I then spun the motor with the fuel line reattached and the fuel tap on, until at least some gas was dribbling out of each float bowl drain. This seemed to flush out most of the residual ATF, at which point I closed the float bowl drain bolts, spun the engine again and the bike fired up. It blew a small amount of smoke for a minute or two, and then settled right down to a smooth idle.

I liked Wolfgang's solution because I suspect AFT, over several months, tends to creep around the carbs, keeping everything (brass, gaskets and O rings) lubricated and unable to corrode. In addition, it seems to prevent stale gas lingering and dry out in the hard-to-drain passageways.

In my case I pulled the extended fuel pipe to the vertical and filled it with ATF. Periodically I checked the level over the months in storage and found, once filled, the ATF level didn't change. I suppose this shows the float needles are gas (oil?) tight, however if the level had fallen significantly, and the bike was on its side stand, it might be worth pulling the plugs to make sure the two downhill cylinders had not gradually accumulated oil.

My GL1000 carbs took almost exactly 150cc's of ATF, and I used a fat syringe to squirt the fluid down the extended line. It seems an easy and cheap way of caring for your carbs and I will use this method again next winter.

Andy
1946 Harley WL45
1946 Norton Model 18
1960 BMW R60/2
1973 Norton 750 Commando
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
1981 Moto Morini 500
1981 Ducati Pantah

1960 Triumph TR3A sports car.... in many boxes
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Carb care for hibernating Goldwings

Post by Whiskerfish »

I think any decent light weight oil would be fine for long term preservation. In military turbo shaft engines we pumped the Fuel Control Unit (Read carbs) full of 1010 oil. It is a basically just a Mil Spec petroleum based light weight oil and worked well as a preservative and corrosion inhibitor.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
toomanybikes
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by toomanybikes »

why is the ATF method better than more common methods: fully drainage the gas or run Stabil through the system and leave the carbs filled with Stabil fuel?
Greater Boston MA, USA
Stable as of 26Dec22: '81 GL1100, '10 Bonnie SE, '86 Yamaha Radian, '83 Suzuki GS650L, '14 Moto Guzzi California, '85 Honda V30 Magna
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

toomanybikes wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:01 am why is the ATF method better than more common methods: fully drainage the gas or run Stabil through the system and leave the carbs filled with Stabil fuel?

Gas will evaporate. That leaves a nasty residue. Good practice is to use your favorite cocktail in the fuel, run the bike to be sure that fuel gets into the bowls, then drain the carbs completely.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
toomanybikes
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by toomanybikes »

robin1731 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:20 pm
toomanybikes wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:01 am why is the ATF method better than more common methods: fully drainage the gas or run Stabil through the system and leave the carbs filled with Stabil fuel?
Gas will evaporate. That leaves a nasty residue. Good practice is to use your favorite cocktail in the fuel, run the bike to be sure that fuel gets into the bowls, then drain the carbs completely.
Thanks for the data point. I always run Stabil-gas thru the systems before winter sitting season. Some times I drain the carbs, other times I leave the Stabil-gas in the carbs. Some people say draining the allows the rubber bits to dry out, but I can't imagine that's an issue over 4 months of winter.

I'll try draining all the carb'd bikes this year.
Greater Boston MA, USA
Stable as of 26Dec22: '81 GL1100, '10 Bonnie SE, '86 Yamaha Radian, '83 Suzuki GS650L, '14 Moto Guzzi California, '85 Honda V30 Magna
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

ATF includes ingredients to make rubber seals swell so I don't think I'd want to fill my carbs with it.

I have always run the carbs dry and then opened the drain screws to let the last bit out of the float bowls (put a rag underneath to catch it) and the only time I ever had a problem the next spring was when the carb to plenum seals went bad (in retrospect there were symptoms of them causing problems the previous summer so that had nothing to do with being stored). And that includes the years when the bike wasn't taken out of storage.

This would be a good place to recommend draining the tank whenever you store any bike. In addition to the fuel going off (& eventually turning to varnish) if you don't take it out of storage when you expected (my 'Wing's PO broke both ankles at work and was unable to ride again so it sat for 10 years before I got it; I'm glad he had drained the tank), any water that gets into the tank (a few drops when filling up on a rainy day, condensation from moist air entering when you ride on a humid day &c) will sit on the bottom where it can't evaporate and if you don't drain the tank occasionally to let it evaporate it will eventually find another way out.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....