Back to Janis

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Back to Janis

Post by Sidecar Bob »

How do you synch the carbs individually? "Synch" refers specifically to asdjusting the carbs so that their operation is synchronized with each other.....

Also, what is the purpose of the second filter? The one that is closest to the tank will always do all of the work and the second one will just be along for the ride unless the first becomes damaged.

(Note that my 'Wing has 2 filters but only because it has a second tank)
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Kingpin06
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Kingpin06 »

Two filters makes it to where if the leading one plugs. I can remove it, and get to where I need to be without putting a bunch of crud in the carbs. When I sync them together I manifold them together and go to the highest vacuum reading. Then I check them individually. If I'm not getting consistent readings from all four I'll pull the valve covers, and set the lash. Then I manifold them together again, and set them again. Then I check them individually again. The first time around usually is all I need to do. Once in awhile I have to set the lash. In rare instances I have to pull the heads ,and do a valve job. With Janis all I had to do is the first round. I don't have balance tubes. I have a gauge. Takes a little longer.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I guess that makes sense about the filters but it would be just as easy to carry a spare.

So you are saying that you are using a single vacuum gauge to balance the carbs instead of a set of gauges. That sounds like doing it the hard way to me but I guess it could work.
BTW: You should always check & adjust the valve clearances before balancing (syncing) the carbs, not as part of balancing them.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Kingpin06
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Kingpin06 »

All I have is a gauge. I've had tubes, and they usually end up disappearing. People are too lazy to do it the way I do, so my tools get left alone. On my stuff I've usually got the lash right anyway. So unless it's been awhile, or it sounds funny on the starter I'll skip the lash setting. On Janis I did a check when I first got her. They were dead on, so I didn't feel the need to pull the covers again. Running a double filter keeps me from having more clutter in the glove box. And when I get home I either clean the lead filter or replace it with new. It's not something that I even have to think about. It is handy when it does its job. I'll usually put the trailing filter in the lead position and put the new one in the secondary position. I'm an old diesel mechanic, and it just makes sense to me.
Kingpin06
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Kingpin06 »

She's only got a little over twenty thousand miles on her, and from what I can tell the po took care of her. When I drained the fluids they all looked like new.The plugs were also pretty fresh. The only problems she had was from sitting for over ten years. Varnish in the tank, fouled up carbs, and the fuel pump diaphragm. The wiring is pristine. All I did there was a little cleaning, and some dielectric grease.