Specific Tank De-Rusting With Kleen-Strip Concrete & Metal Prep

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Specific Tank De-Rusting With Kleen-Strip Concrete & Metal Prep

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

I'm right on the cusp of getting my tank cleaned/de-rusted and was using vinegar, but that didn't do so well - I'm not at the stage yet where I can just add 5 gallons of gas to it after I wash and dry it out, so of course it flash-rusted over, so I refilled it; got home tonight and saw it dripping and had a little concern thinking it was the tank itself, but luckily it was just the vinegar making it's way out of the petcock holes after pushing past the duct tape...it had leaked down about a third of the way, AND of course what was exposed was now rusted Again!

I've been doing a lot of reading about different ways to do the tank, in such a way that will let me wait a while before installation - I may have to touch it up/repaint it, it would look better repainted anyway - and after reading about all the voodoo that we 'do-do' to gas tanks to get them de-rusted - The Works, electrolysis, Evaporust (don't have the cash for that), vinegar, etc - I think I've finally settled on Kleen-Strip Concrete and Metal Prep: $17 a gallon at Lowes and is said to leave a zinc oxide coating behind it that inhibits rust.

Some say to rinse it afterwards, some say to let it air-dry, keep it off the paint, etc...my Question is, has anybody used this stuff to de-rust the tank and if so, how did you DO it, and what were the results? After you used the Kleen-Strip, did you blow-dry it, air-dry it, coat the insides with anything After you did it? I'm not planning to line the tank with Kreem or POR, just de-rust it, so if you Have used this stuff a step-by-step would be great, I don't want to have to do this again.

I was thinking about draining the vinegar, neutralizing/rinsing it, throwing in some acetone and my big canister of BB's and slingshot ammo and rolling it all around to clean off as much as I can; take all that out, and then use the Kleen-Strip to attack what's left and hopefully it'll stay rust-free for a week or two...would rinsing it with diesel fuel after I Kleen-Strip it stave off the rust? Marvel Mystery Oil? ATF fluid? If you have any specific tips on using that specific Kleen-Strip, I'm all ears...
toomanybikes
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: Specific Tank De-Rusting With Kleen-Strip Concrete & Metal Prep

Post by toomanybikes »

I'm in the Evaporust camp ($17/gal on Amazon, and re-usable) and therefore have no info on Kleen-Strip. One plus of the non-acidic Evaporust option is that flash rust is easily avoided by simply rinsing the tank with gas after the evaporust sessions. There is no need to neutralize the acid, rinse with water, air dry, etc.

Once you do get it clean, I would just coat it with MMO and let it sit open in a dry space.
Greater Boston MA, USA
Stable as of 26Dec22: '81 GL1100, '10 Bonnie SE, '86 Yamaha Radian, '83 Suzuki GS650L, '14 Moto Guzzi California, '85 Honda V30 Magna
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Robin had a thread here a bit ago about somebody who used the metal prep option. Essentially that stuff is phosphoric acid, which works, but requires extensive cleanup afterwards. Robin had a guy who did that, thought he had cleaned it up properly, ran the bike for a while, then found out that the bit of acid that was left (because there was some) had started eating the cheap pot-metal that the carb bodies are made of. Ruined an entire carb rack.

I just cleaned my tank out a couple weeks ago, and I'm firmly in the Evapo-rust camp. The inside of my tank was very icky, but after a couple-day soak, I was extremely surprised by the results.

I couldn't afford the entire 5 gallons to completely fill the tank, but I got 3 gallons and that, combined with rotating the tank, was more than sufficient. After I was happy, I drained everything then used a shop vac (plus an extension through the fuel sender hole) to suck out all the crap that was left in the bottom. After that I quickly sloshed some gasoline around in it to clean anything I missed. (Note: DON'T MIX GAS FUMES WITH A SHOP VAC. It's a great way to blow something up.)

I've got a quart of 2-cycle oil sloshing around inside of it until I can paint it, but even then there's no sign of flash rust.

Maybe get a gallon or two, see what you can clean out with that until the next paycheck, and later on snag more if you need it. And as mentioned, it is re-usable a couple times.

Good luck!
Last edited by Lucien Harpress on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I used the kleen-strip as a solution on my 78 frame. It does leave a coating that is rust resistant. You do need to rinse thoroughly with water. When I did my fuel tank, I used muriatic acid (which is much the same), rinsed with water, and used compressed air and a hair dryer to dry it out. Then coated with MMO.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

20200926_130746.jpg
20200926_130746.jpg (315.46 KiB) Viewed 268 times
20200926_172829.jpg
20200926_172829.jpg (180.88 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Here's what the frame looked like after treatment. Heavily rusted areas turned black, as in the second picture...

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
New2U Bike? Read Me.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

any special prep to get paint to stick to your frame after track?
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Start with an etching primer.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Lucien Harpress wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:38 am Robin had a thread here a bit ago about somebody who used the metal prep option. Essentially that stuff is phosphoric acid, which works, but requires extensive cleanup afterwards. Robin had a guy who did that, thought he had cleaned it up properly, ran the bike for a while, then found out that the bit of acid that was left (because there was some) had started eating the cheap pot-metal that the carb bodies are made of. Ruined an entire carb rack.

I just cleaned my tank out a couple weeks ago, and I'm firmly in the Evapo-rust camp. The inside of my tank was very icky, but after a couple-day soak, I was extremely surprised by the results.

I couldn't afford the entire 5 gallons to completely fill the tank, but I got 3 gallons and that, combined with rotating the tank, was more than sufficient. After I was happy, I drained everything then used a shop vac (plus an extension through the fuel sender hole) to suck out all the crap that was left in the bottom. After that I quickly sloshed some gasoline around in it to clean anything I missed. (Note: DON'T MIX GAS FUMES WITH A SHOP VAC. It's a great way to blow something up.)

I've got a quart of 2-cycle oil sloshing around inside of it until I can paint it, but even then there's no sign of flash rust.

Maybe get a gallon or two, see what you can clean out with that until the next paycheck, and later on snag more if you need it. And as mentioned, it is re-usable a couple times.

Good luck!
He used vinegar. It didn't run but a couple minutes at most. Ruined the carbs and a brand new fuel pump. Also had to replace the heads. It didn't help that it sat about 4 months with that crud in it after it died.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

5speed wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:34 pm any special prep to get paint to stick to your frame after track?
Nope, just a good wipe down with lacquer thinner, then etching primer...

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

I'm nobody's guru, so take my experience as anecdote or n of 1.

I started a GL1100 tank de-rusting last summer with 4 gallons of evaporust. It definitely did a number on the rust over a couple/few days, but it didn't seem to really be getting at the worst of it. I started with the tank in the frame. Then I pulled the tank and did it for a couple more days.

Then I decided it just wasn't cutting it and tried electrolysis. The electrolysis is amazing magic/science/chemistry. It just sucked the rust off the tank innards over a couple days. I've run about 4 tanks through the carbs since putting the bike back on the road. At each fill up, I peek in and find nice, clean metal. So far, so good.

I wish I hadn't spent the $80 on Evaporust, but electrolysis seemed like voodoo when I first read about it.

I've got nothing against evaporust and used the leftovers to clean some rusty parts - because I had the product. But I'm now a believer in electrolysis and will cut straight to that method on my next rusty tank.
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

I used toilet bowl cleaner (thanks Ed!) which worked really well and fairly quickly. Poured it out (can be used to cleaned your toilets then) rinsed well with water followed by isopropyl alcohol to dry any residual water.

At this point I blew it out with compressed air but could use a shop vac as well and then lined it with Red Kote, turned out great ! Keep in mind that to use the Red Kote you need to remove the screens in the tank and plug the pickup lines. That’s what I did. I tried a number of usual methods prescribed with marginal results, the toilet bowl cleaner works !
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Let me add that before using most of these, I would soak with acetone for a bit to remove any varnish build-up. That will allow your rust eaters to work much better and faster.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

I used diluted muratic acid with the tank in a big plastic tote just in case it leaked. I flushed thoroughly with baking soda water, then just water. I blew it dry with a shop vac with the hose on the exhaust and a hot air gun. Then I used northern tank sealer, it's blue. A friend gave it to me, he got it at Carquest. It Didn't plug the screens but I did root out the fuel lines with an old speedometer cable. I used plastic golf tees to plug the fuel lines, anyone that left enough acid in the tank to eat his carbs just didn't use proper care. 2 stroke oil in a little gas will keep it from flash rusting if you don't line it.
The pre wash with acetone or lacquer thinner is a good idea too.
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

I transferred the acid with a flashlight battery powered bilge/fuel pump. I got it at Menards in the as seen on TV shelf. It's way easier than pouring large amounts of corrosive chemicals. Flush it well in soda water after each use.
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.