1st post, 1st project: 77 GL1000

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

chrismcc
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

1st post, 1st project: 77 GL1000

Post by chrismcc »

OK, just bought 77 GL1000. Hasn't run in 5 years. Charged the battery while letting cylinders soak with some marvel oil. Engine turned ok with kickstarter and will turn when i short the starter relay, so I know the coils are ok. But there is no signal from starter button to the starter. I have never worked on wiring before, and this old girl has been hacked up a bit. I will add a few pictures and want any advice/info you all can share on getting her running. I have watched Ranndakk's videos on bringing her back to life, but I have some questions on some previous wiring mods and how to straighten them out. Looks like PO had a fairing and bags at one point and chopped up the harness to accommodate them maybe? I will post a few pics of the areas in question. Any insights or suggestions are most welcome! Thanks in advance.
IMG_2018.jpg
IMG_2018.jpg (280.29 KiB) Viewed 224 times
IMG_2019.jpg
IMG_2019.jpg (359.1 KiB) Viewed 224 times
IMG_2233.PNG
IMG_2233.PNG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 224 times
IMG_2231.jpg
IMG_2231.jpg (300.28 KiB) Viewed 224 times
IMG_2230.jpg
IMG_2230.jpg (289.99 KiB) Viewed 224 times
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: 1st post, 1st project: 77 GL1000

Post by ericheath »

Someone may help you but lots of decent info and How-To articles in Shoptalk:
page/ST

Towards, or at the bottom of the page are downloadable color coded wiring schematics which may help you. There are some electrical mods found there as well.

It appears a PO bypassed the reserve lighting system, a common mod also found on Randakk’s site.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Lots of smart folk here to help out ...

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Welcome to the fun. The upside (from what I see) is that the PO was considerate enough to plug into existing connections (however messily) rather than start chopping wires. That should make things easier. The mess of connections going from the left front of the shelter into the forks looks rather good, actually.

I'm right there with you as far as wiring goes. My advice? Find a good wiring diagram in color and start tracing what all the connections and colors do. Then it's just a matter of matching things back up correctly.

If you get really involved, feel free to start a build thread!

EDIT: As a point of comparison, here's a (generally) unmolested electrical panel on a GL1000. It looks like somebody bypassed and removed your Reserve Lighting Unit- as far as I remember, if one beam of your headlight burns out, the RLU automatically kicks the other one on no matter which beam (hi/lo) you choose, while lighting up an idiot light to tell you your headlight's messed up (or something close to that). Guys around here have bypassed it before, so hopefully someone will be along with specifics. Nothing that should stop the bike from running.

1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

chrismcc wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:55 pm OK, just bought 77 GL1000. Hasn't run in 5 years. Charged the battery while letting cylinders soak with some marvel oil. Engine turned ok with kickstarter and will turn when i short the starter relay, so I know the coils are ok. But there is no signal from starter button to the starter. I have never worked on wiring before, and this old girl has been hacked up a bit. I will add a few pictures and want any advice/info you all can share on getting her running. I have watched Ranndakk's videos on bringing her back to life, but I have some questions on some previous wiring mods and how to straighten them out. Looks like PO had a fairing and bags at one point and chopped up the harness to accommodate them maybe? I will post a few pics of the areas in question. Any insights or suggestions are most welcome! Thanks in advance.IMG_2018.jpgIMG_2019.jpgIMG_2233.PNGIMG_2231.jpgIMG_2230.jpg
chrismcc
Are you speaking about the ignition coils? :-?
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

One thing that might be blocking the solenoid from working from the switch is the safety circuit. You must have either neutral selected in the transmission (the neutral light will indicate that the switch is picked up) or the clutch pulled. there is a switch in the clutch perch that has two connections that must be closed for that. I often find them loose or pulled off and they can just be plugged back in and the clutch pulled or a temporary jumper installed between them.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The Reserve Lighting Unit is supposed to run the headlight's high beam at 1/2 power if the low beam fails (since the low is on more they generally fail first) and run the tail light's bright (brake light) filament at 1/2 power if the dim (tail light) filament fails (tail light is on more than brake so it generally fails first). BUT the RLU is known to cause more problems than it solves and even Clymer knew to recommend bypassing it at least as far back as the copy of their GL1000/1100 book I bought in '91.

The starter motor is supposed to be able to work only if the transmission is in neutral or if the transmission is in gear with the clutch disengaged but not when the transmission is in gear with the clutch engaged. Two circuits are involved in that:
1) The starter disconnect switch (in the clutch perch) interrupts the starter solenoid circuit between the solenoid and ground, preventing it from being energized unless the clutch lever is pulled.
2) The neutral switch interrupts the neutral light circuit between the light and ground.

The diode is connected between the neutral light circuit and the starter solenoid circuit so that the neutral switch bypasses the starter disconnect switch but the starter disconnect switch has no effect on the neutral light.

This drawing is for the 1100 & 1200 but your 1000's circuits are basically the same except that the rectifier and voltage regulator are separate units instead of being in one package like the later models and the main fuse is not mounted on the solenoid.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....