Saga of my carbs continues (1200)

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

sphen
Silver Member
Silver Member

Saga of my carbs continues (1200)

Post by sphen »

Hi everyone-

my project '86 has been in the hands of a well respected (retired) goldwing mechanic for a while now, checking things over and verifying my work thus far.

He has given me quite a bit of good news....

..but...

...is telling me that for all the efforts we've put in, the carbs are in pretty bad shape (corrosion, some float valve/seat issues, etc).

While we might get get them tuned satisfactorily, he is telling me if i could find a set in better shape, that would be ideal.

So, just a shot in the dark, does anyone know offhand a good set available, or can tell what to look for on ebay, or know of a good set on ebay?

Better still, the issues seem to be with the carbs on the LH side of the bike (some water damage on that side) - if i could find even just the units themselves I think it would be good.

???
Project bike "Dixie" - 1986 GL1200 Aspencade being rebuilt from ground up to be a naked 'wing. Build progress thread here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=71959

Build log video: View it here

BOTM November '22
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Saga of my carbs continues (1200)

Post by redglbx »

I would not waste my time on buying & installing a used set of carbs unless they were used as cores to rebuild, total waste of time & money in my opinion. Why not have your “expert” just rebuild your current carbs ?

That’s what I’d do unless the current carbs are damaged beyond repair, but I’d still buy a Randakks quality Viton kit and rebuild the replacements. Personally I wouldn’t waste my time putting a used set in w/o rebuilding them. My .02

If your expert isn’t comfortable rebuilding your carbs there is a number of people here that are capable, but you’re still going to need to do a good carb sync once you get them back and installed.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

sphen wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:49 pm Hi everyone-

my project '86 has been in the hands of a well respected (retired) goldwing mechanic for a while now, checking things over and verifying my work thus far.

He has given me quite a bit of good news....

..but...

...is telling me that for all the efforts we've put in, the carbs are in pretty bad shape (corrosion, some float valve/seat issues, etc).

While we might get get them tuned satisfactorily, he is telling me if i could find a set in better shape, that would be ideal.

So, just a shot in the dark, does anyone know offhand a good set available, or can tell what to look for on ebay, or know of a good set on ebay?

Better still, the issues seem to be with the carbs on the LH side of the bike (some water damage on that side) - if i could find even just the units themselves I think it would be good.

???
"some water damage on that side"
As in the LH carburetors or cylinders? Both?

I noted in your build thread post#1 that the engine was "weather seized" and the photo of the removed from frame engine displays both cylinder heads had been removed.
No mention of remedial work in that area of the engine, though.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

redglbx wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:26 am I would not waste my time on buying & installing a used set of carbs unless they were used as cores to rebuild, total waste of time & money in my opinion. Why not have your “expert” just rebuild your current carbs ?

That’s what I’d do unless the current carbs are damaged beyond repair, but I’d still buy a Randakks quality Viton kit and rebuild the replacements. Personally I wouldn’t waste my time putting a used set in w/o rebuilding them. My .02

If your expert isn’t comfortable rebuilding your carbs there is a number of people here that are capable, but you’re still going to need to do a good carb sync once you get them back and installed.
There comes a point with weak castings where corrosion can render them non-re-buildable. Sounds like this is what the OP is dealing with. I have seen some pretty bad examples. They might work, they might not. In particular float and jet towers can get eaten away. Nothing you can do about that except scrap the body.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
sphen
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sphen »

Basically what desertrefugee said - what im hearing is there is so much corrosion on the LH side butterfly valves and associated linkages that they are drifting after sync ie not staying in sync very well. And a few other similar issues.

Current plan i to swap the bodies on that side; ive already rebuilt the carbs so if i can find a good specimen i'll clean em up and move em over.
Project bike "Dixie" - 1986 GL1200 Aspencade being rebuilt from ground up to be a naked 'wing. Build progress thread here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=71959

Build log video: View it here

BOTM November '22
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Don’t mix/match carbs, use the same carb version or the entire rack. there are differences which is why they have different p/n’s.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que