sudden loss of power

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

sickradsean
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

sudden loss of power

Post by sickradsean »

This one really has me stumped. Recently (this week) at indiscriminate times (after warm up OR during) my bike will act like it is struggling to idle or even exist. Everything will be running smoothly and then a sudden drop in RPMs and it has that really boggy, farty, lack of power . To the point that it'll die if you don't hammer the throttle.

I know the carbs are clean and adjusted/synched. I know the gas is good and stabilized. I've replaced the fuel filter, and cleaned out/ checked the fuel pump. Air box is clear and filter is fine. I have new coils and wires on the way to rule that out (I was going to replace them anyways), but I really can't figure why randomly it feels like i'm down to two cylinders.

The timing wouldn't go out of whack but then sometimes be back in whack.

Stuck float? Crap in the carbs that gets stirred up and then settles in a jet? fly into a rage
1977 GL1000 "Goldie"
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: sudden loss of power

Post by gltriker »

Stock points and condenser ignition still in place? Electronic ignition?
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
sickradsean
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by sickradsean »

Electronic. It's from the PO but from the red wire and clip into the blinker relay I'd say it's a Dyna.
1977 GL1000 "Goldie"
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: sudden loss of power *(ignition is suspected cause)*

Post by gltriker »

POST#4
sickradsean wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:43 am Electronic It's from the PO but from the red wire and clip into the blinker relay I'd say it's a Dyna.
I presume you have a 12volt test light used to set the engine's static ignition timing, and are familiar with the Dyna S modules static ignition timing procedures.
Yes to both questions? Good.
A quick method to observe if the primary windings circuit of each ignition coil is functioning, when the engine is running, is to individually probe both two double female socket terminals. located under the rubber boot. It will not hurt their primary windings ignition circuits to do this running engine probe test.

The low watts, test light bulb will flash at both primary circuits' test points in synchronization with their respective ignition coil discharge events, telling you the individual Dyna S modules are working; internally switching their respective ground path connection, on and off. ( make and break tumb2 )
If the running engine develops a "sudden loss of power", individually test both primary ignition circuits' double female socket terminals, again.
If no test light bulb flashing is observed on one circuit, that occurrence is very likely caused by a faulty Dyna S module.

edit: added March 18th, 2022, here's the 12volt test light I use for static ignition timing. Nothing special.
A Very low watts light bulb inside the test light, for running engine primary ignition circuits' testing purposes is an important detail, though. Attach the low watts test light's alligator clip to the negative battery terminal
Attachments
20220317_191536_1647613874595_resized.jpg
20220317_191536_1647613874595_resized.jpg (73.13 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Last edited by gltriker on Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:30 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
sickradsean
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by sickradsean »

On a side note: when I replace the coils will I HAVE to recheck the timing -or- I SHOULD recheck the timing?
1977 GL1000 "Goldie"
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

sickradsean wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:43 am Electronic. It's from the PO but from the red wire and clip into the blinker relay I'd say it's a Dyna.
It may not have anything to do with your current problem but I'd recommend moving the Dyna's power connection to the black/white wire that feeds power to the coils. The Dyna ignition draws a lot of current and has no business being connected to the same fuse as the turn signals, brake light and horn.
Not only that but if it is on the ignition circuit it will be turned off when the kill switch is off, which means it won't drain the battery if you are working on something and need the key on.
This can also help when you need to start it with a low battery because you can turn the kill switch off, crank the starter to get the engine turning and then turn the sparks on while the flywheel keeps the engine turning enough to catch.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

Dyna ignitions are notorious for one module to die. What you are describing is that one module is "flaking" out. Personally, I would replace the Dyna with something more reliable. I have a HondaMan ignition "amplifier" that uses the points as a low voltage signal to trigger the coils. Points last forever, and I haven't had the need to reset timing in over 5 years.
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

An intermittently sticking slide can do this. My first bike would stick if I didn’t run MMO in the fuel. It doesn’t take much to cause one to hang up and when it does that cylinder’s AF ratio is off.

If you pull them, note the cleanliness of the slide surfaces. If they’re dark and dirty, you have an issue. A leaking air box/filter from a bad seal can let a lot of dirt in
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

BlueThunder wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:49 pm Dyna ignitions are notorious for one module to die. What you are describing is that one module is "flaking" out. Personally, I would replace the Dyna with something more reliable. I have a HondaMan ignition "amplifier" that uses the points as a low voltage signal to trigger the coils. Points last forever, and I haven't had the need to reset timing in over 5 years.

And yet I have a lot, probably over 50 and maybe many more, bikes of my own and customers that have been running Dyna ignitions for 2 or 3 decades. That would include the old Dyna III model along with the new style. On GL's and many KZ's. It is simply not true that "Dyna ignitions are notorious for one module to die".
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

Sorry but I beg to disagree. Perhaps the ones manufactured recently solved the problem but earlier ones were failure prone. It has been my experience that this is true. Besides, check the various forums (posted dates) for confirmation.
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Yes, because like most things you only hear about the one that goes bad. If they were so bad I would have had to replace many if not most of them over the past 40 plus years. I can think of one in all that time.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

FWIW, one half of mine died just after the warranty period ended. Dynatek replaced it anyway and the replacement is still working fine 8 years later.
It is a known issue but the wouldn't still be in business if it happened to more than a small percentage of them.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Using Dyna’s for many years now w/o any issues with the modules. I will say that I did have a set of coils die after nearly 15yrs and Dyna did right by me on those.

Originally I put a Prestolite ignition in my 76 because you couldn’t get the points balanced, I suspect the improperly ground points cam they talked about back in the day but don’t know for sure as the points plate and cam ended up somewhere in the field across from my house.

I put The Dyna in because it was much easier to balance than the Prestolite which I though I was having issues with (didn’t) and it was much easier to set up.

On another note let me add that Randakk for years maintained that doing a “static” timing would over advance the timing by 6-10degrees. I was skeptical but actually checking the timing dynamically with a degree wheel setup on the LH cam gear showed that he was indeed correct. Engine runs much better being timed dynamically, I am a fan and recommend it.

When I can get back to working on my bikes (extensive back surgery) I need to look at my 76 as I’m getting a back fire at idle from the rh side, runs perfect above idle, doesn’t do it until warm though. I suspect a plug/plug cap, anyone had this happen ? Probably won’t get to be able to work on it until after the first of the year. Anyway, I’m a Dynafan!
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
sickradsean
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by sickradsean »

Looked into the ignition and can confirm its a Dyna S. I put some MMO in the gas and oil, did seem to smooth things out for a bit but then the idle drops out of nowhere! After about a min or so it evens itself out again. I could see a sticky slide or float as a possible cause. I had recently drained the carbs and then not run the bike for a few weeks (dumb, distracted mistake). So its possible there is some varnish all up in there.

Still waiting on the new coils and wires. Ill install those with some new plugs and then report back. Still scratching my head.
1977 GL1000 "Goldie"
MattMcCoy
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by MattMcCoy »

My guess would be dirty idle jets, if opening the throttle and increasing RPMs keeps it running.

You might try this to see if it helps:

https://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/ ... _bike.html
1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1977 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000

“I see Angels on Ariels in leather and chrome,
Swoopin' down from Heaven to carry me home."